Newage PRM gearbox.

pete.i

Featured Posts

Hello. I have doing some engine bay cleaning and tidying today on my, new to me, boat. It has a Beta Marine 35 engine with a PRM gearbox. I noticed that there is a copper pipe that is attached at one end with a compression joint and nut but the other end of the pipe is open and just hanging there. I have had a good study of the gearbox and I cannot see anywhere were the free end of the pipe can attach to. Any help would be appreciated. I have included a picture of the pipe.

20190205_144858.jpg

12 minutes ago, pete.i said:

Hello. I have doing some engine bay cleaning and tidying today on my, new to me, boat. It has a Beta Marine 35 engine with a PRM gearbox. I noticed that there is a copper pipe that is attached at one end with a compression joint and nut but the other end of the pipe is open and just hanging there. I have had a good study of the gearbox and I cannot see anywhere were the free end of the pipe can attach to. Any help would be appreciated. I have included a picture of the pipe.

20190205_144858.jpg

breather.

Okay thank you for that. There definetly isn't anywhere for the free end of that pipe to connect to. The gearbox oil cooler pipes are both attached but that pipe wouldn't reach that anyway as it is on the other side of the gearbox. I will look at replacing it with the correct plug because, to be honest, that pipe is in the way and with my big feet it easily gets knocked. I wonder why whoever put it on decided to make it a curved pipe.

45 minutes ago, pete.i said:

I wonder why whoever put it on decided to make it a curved pipe.

I learned some time ago to stop wondering why when it comes to boats. That way, madness lies

Richard

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, ianali said:

Yeh but if it’s lost... seen the price of a replacement? 

How on earth do you lose one? 

What's probably happened is it had the earlier mushroom type breather that got stood on too many times

Richard

Edited by RLWP

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

How on earth do you lose one? 

What's probably happened is it had the earlier mushroom type breather that got stood on too many times

Richard

Well as it happens, I watched a guy place his gearbox filler bolt near the edge of his stern deck last winter. Seems they don’t float.

14 minutes ago, ianali said:

Well as it happens, I watched a guy place his gearbox filler bolt near the edge of his stern deck last winter. Seems they don’t float.

That's a different matter. On this gearbox, the filler and breather are separate

Just now, ianali said:

Perhaps it was removed to be cleaned? Maybe it was stolen? 

We are really back to trying to guess why something has happened. There's no reason to remove the breather, yet clearly this has happened. I wonder why.... :wacko: