Stourport ring Itinerary - 10 days out of Alvechurch

Neil Ryan

Featured Posts

On 07/02/2019 at 22:49, Captain Pegg said:

You've ground to halt on the homeward stretch and that's despite being a day short (10 nights not days). Diglis to Alvechurch is 12 hours cruising for a good crew. That's why I'd go the other way; coupled with the fact the OP has stated a preference to do the locks first.

JP

The OP said 10 days so I went with that.  If 11 days, then simply add in a lovely trip to Gloucester Docks for the extra day.  Not sure what you mean by ground to a halt, whichever way you slice it, 10 days for the Stourport Ring will leave some short days.  As you recommended a trip to Hanbury Hall could be included but that up to them really.  Your day 5, for example would only be 3 hours or so for cruising.  My shortish day, up to Stoke Pound is specifically to increase their changes of getting moored there. 

I'd agree with SeaDog that there's not a great deal in it for either direction.  However, the availability of pubs for the evening (which was specifically requested) works a lot better going clockwise.  They could moor outside a pub every night by following my anticlockwise itinerary.  I've also tried to consider the availability of moorings for 4 boats together.  Trying to get 4 boats into the BCLM in july is one hell of a long shot so, some will have to moor outside, which is a less than desirable option. I certainly would never moor on the rings outside the gates.  Some of them could go down to the John The Lock moorings but then they're not all together.  Hence I would offer a side trip down to Gloucester as far preferable to a side trip to the BCLM, even though I really like it there.  There's more touristy things to do in Gloucester too.

Edited by doratheexplorer

A trip down to Gloucester would add three days though if anytime was going to be spent looking around.  I use to do an 8am start when boating between Gloucester and Worcester to ensure making the lock opening times so it would be a day down to Gloucester, a day looking around and a day back to Worcester.  They could leave on the second day around lunchtime but the chances of mooring four boats at Tewkesbury or Upton is very unlikely so would need to do an early start to ensure making Worcester.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

A trip down to Gloucester would add three days though if anytime was going to be spent looking around.  I use to do an 8am start when boating between Gloucester and Worcester to ensure making the lock opening times so it would be a day down to Gloucester, a day looking around and a day back to Worcester.  They could leave on the second day around lunchtime but the chances of mooring four boats at Tewkesbury or Upton is very unlikely so would need to do an early start to ensure making Worcester.

There are plenty of moorings at Tewkesbury if you're willing to pay.

They already have a spare day on my itinerary.

The elephant in the room here is that 10 days is too long for the Stourport ring which takes about 5-7 days.  If I was the OP I'd do the Avon ring, or book for 7 days and hire a car for 3.

we had originally planned on the Avon ring but were swayed to the Stourport ring due to the length of time and number of locks. The other factor was the amount of time on RIvers and that chance that they may be closed due to flooding which would affect our group. We actually will have the boats for 10 nights/11 days. Is the Avon ring a hard stretch in 10 days? What would be the most scenic? 

55 minutes ago, Neil Ryan said:

we had originally planned on the Avon ring but were swayed to the Stourport ring due to the length of time and number of locks. The other factor was the amount of time on RIvers and that chance that they may be closed due to flooding which would affect our group. We actually will have the boats for 10 nights/11 days. Is the Avon ring a hard stretch in 10 days? What would be the most scenic? 

The Avon Ring is doable in a week, and certainly in 10 days, if you have only one boat, but you have four - also 10 nights is NINE full days plus a half day (ish at the start) plus an hour on the last morning. 

The first issue you have is that your days are longer with four boats - they start when the first boat leaves and end when the last boat arrives wherever you are going, and if you want to moor all four up in reasonable close proximity you can't afford to be late getting there. Even if everything goes smoothly there could be an hour between arrival of the first boat at the chosen pub and arrival of the last - and you convoy may get broken if there is a mishap. 

In theory on the Avon Ring there are more locks you can share, but of course this only works up to a point, you have four boats they still won't all fit in one lock, and if there is a solo boat in front of you... does one of your's share with them? do you stick to two pairs...?

Nine full days and four boats, I'd stick to the Stourport Ring myself 

1 hour ago, Neil Ryan said:

Stick with the Stourport ring, you will have more time to visit places of interest.

I would say it depends on the route of holiday you are after, if you are going to boat all day and for long days then the Avon ring is really doable, I've done it with two boats and an inexperienced crew that spoke very little English so difficult to explain things to them in a week but we were late back on the last day.

If you want a more leisurely holiday with late starts, early finishes and time to visit places then stick with the Stourport ring.