Matty’s 1978

Paul H

Featured Posts

I’ve just posted these pics on Facebook and thought I’d post them here for you non-facebookers!

What have we got here?
Tycho, Oxford, Aldgate, Greyhound, Darley (Will Newton)- or at least the bow, Greenock (with blue tops), Stewart 
& Lloyd’s No. 1, Atlantic, Governor, Maureen (Ex-Electra)
Not sure if Stratford or Pacific were there so maybe they were on contract...

Paul

C35C1772-DD47-4261-8D96-D795E431E1FC.jpeg

0D462852-DB2A-4850-A81A-3917E120334B.jpeg

4EEF51AB-6F5D-467B-BEBE-26C50C8F6572.jpeg

CA93B1D8-2547-4C17-97DA-1B580924AE0E.jpeg

810102AF-1AF1-4DFA-A55E-7B5F5C0A0BAC.jpeg

807687C7-6E3D-4787-B976-C5BC60163A7F.jpeg

Edited by Paul H
  • Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Paul H said:

What have we got here?
Typhoon, Oxford, Aldgate, Greyhound, Darley (Will Scarlett)- or at least the bow, Greenock (with blue tops), Stewart 
& Lloyd’s No. 1, Atlantic, Governor.
Not sure if Stratford or Pacific were there so maybe they were on contract...

..... and at east Tycho, obviously!

I guess I'm surprised just how smart and well cared for most of them look.

Sorry I was just editing Typhoon to Tycho.

i think at the time they were maintaining a regular schedule of maintenance although there was less work for the boats...

Paul

Edited by Paul H

Yes Matty had the Susan as a dredger which apparently was cut down from a motor BCN day boat similar to the Ben.  I understand that it has now been reunited on behalf of a well-known enthusiast with a BCN iron fore end by Stockton Drydock Co.  This was Matty’s second Susan, the first was a wooden tug which became the leisure boat Clevanda.  I believe both were named after Susan Roberts who was nominally the secretary but effectively ran Mattys.

And I’m reminded that Stratford was there too!

Paul

Edited by Paul H

I lettered the above mentioned boat only last week. It is now called Margaret and destined for other waters than our system. The owner took many photos during the process, though I’m yet to see any.

Edited by dave moore

14 hours ago, dave moore said:

I lettered the above mentioned boat only last week. It is now called Margaret and destined for other waters than our system. The owner took many photos during the process, though I’m yet to see any.

So one of two Susan's became Margaret and is now destined for waters not on the connected system of England and Wales - this is far more intriguing than the original post?

Canal du Berry? Norfolk Broads? Wiener Neustadt Canal?

23 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I remember the Alfred Matty boats along with all the T & S Elements boats in Birmingham in the 1960's, and whilst there were still quite a few working, a lot seemed to spend a lot of time sitting idle on the banks.

That rings a bell David there always seemed to be boats laying about  I was asked one day if I would take a "Gennie from one section to another on the gas line job when I got there a"Mattys" boat was tied up where I needed to of load I dropped off & reloaded the 'no go' on  to take back, the man himself appeared out of the "office" When I told him he had a boat there & could have done the job "tother way around his reply was "Ah that's were the bugger is" price less.

• 2 weeks later...

The Susan/ Margaret I lettered recently is destined for Polish waters. I couldn’t reveal the location before checking with the owner. I added the index number on the framing as usual, towards the rear of the panel. Above the engine hole panel I added the length and beam of the boat, a stipulation required by the Polish authorities. That was a first for me! The restoration involved a clutch of respected craftspeople: Steelwork by Graeme Pierce at Stockton, woodwork by Rex Wain at Brinklow. The cabin was grained and decorated by Chris Wood at Rose, next door and I added lettering.