Genny or engine running

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

Several years ago when I was having major problems with my proper (diesel gennie) I picked up a new Kipor 2600 from Midland Chandlers in their spring silly sale for about £460. With a little bit of juggling it would support 2 out of 3 of the following :- full size washer / dryer, 2 kw immersion heater, Mastervolt 100/2000 combi . (note, NO playing with the power sharing function). The main problem was that it was damned heavy to lift on to the bank. As I was cruising I didn't use it a great deal and over the following winter resolved the gennie issue by replacing it. Not cheap but no way near £10k. . Sold to Kiper with under 100 hours on it and in pristine condition for £300 to someone I know. He told me only last Friday that it's still going strong..

Forgot to mention that throughout it also supported the 230v fridge.

Frank  

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

Several years ago when I was having major problems with my proper (diesel gennie).

........following winter resolved the gennie issue by replacing it.

Not cheap but no way near £10k. .

What sort of price was it ?

Presumably you saved a chunk of money as you were replacing something that was already there (installation kit - exhaust - sea cocks - fuel lines etc) and no need to lift out drill holes in the hull etc.

The ones I have looked at are around £3k-£5k, (generator only)+ almost as much for a installation kit + lift out/in + labour to install.

Total for my quotes came in around £9k-£10k

If you have a decent inverter but lead acid batteries, go for a small genny (under 2kw and maybe even as low as 1kw) because the inverter can be set to supplement high power demands from the batteries (ie washing machine). The rest of the time when charging l/a's they wont be taking what a large genny could provide, so you'll save fuel with a smaller genny. Ideally, get it run of gas too - easier to find on the cut and safer. 

As I see it, the real problem isn't so much generation as it is storage, as touched on here already if you are generating 90a and the batteries are capable of taking it all in but let's not go off at a tangent.

If you don't have a capable inverter, then you're gonna need a bigger genny :) To cope with appliance demands. If 2kw or over make sure it has eco throttle for those lengthy tail current sessions!

PS - see my calculated costings for running your engine - I think it came out at £14 a kw/h. Engine for recharging I would say is a no no but ok if you are doing hot water and/or running an appliance via inverter. Or if you are rapid charging lithiums.

Edited by Johny London

We have this genny Yamaha mz80 bomb proof engine starts first time every time , it runs or victron 3k 120amp inverter maybe not as quite as a Honda but only run it when we are out in the sticks or no boats near by https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Senci-SC2000i-Inverter-Petrol-Camping-Caravan-Generator-With-Yamaha-Engine-2kw/233119832583?epid=2255372599&hash=item3647065a07:g:vywAAOSwvcFcVq6K

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You may well have a 90A alternator but you will NOT be putting 90amps in the batteries for an hour.

That's why I mentioned the change to lithiums in my post? Last winter we used mix of genny and engine (although engine much more convenient). This year with our lithium install we've only used the engine, and yes, with lithiums, an hour engine running will put 90ah back in!

• Greenie 1

My setup for what it is worth:

Winter, based on being in marina full time liveaboard: We run the engine for an hour or so in the morning for hot water and some battery charging.

Run a *Hyundai 2000 genny at night to finish off charging. (luckily we are in private marina, no CRT involvement and marina rules,  can run till 10 pm.)
We are getting good solar too right now.
Always cheaper on fuel to run the main engine than the genny, also doing two jobs, but I have always hated doing this for hours on end. Dearer to service and replace the main engine! I consider a generator as disposable compared to main engine, and buttons to service.  Means having to carry petrol, but I am used to this from outboard motor days.

Warmer weather and when my wife's health allows we just keep moving and mostly the main engine/solar does everything. Use the genny odd times.

*I bought the Hyundai when the Yamaha genny let go in a big way; a bit disappointing as it was only 22 years old ;)
Hyundai was very cheap compared to new Honda/Yamaha models (less than half the price,) is quite light and easy to DIY service. Uses less fuel than the old Yamaha due to smart throttle, and backup from Hyundai seems good. Also 3 year warranty and an engine hour counter, but alas no fuel gauge. Longevity? I'll report back in 22 years...

10 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I use a Kippor EG770 to charge the batteries. It's light, about 12KG I think so no hassle to take on and off the boat. It's chained to one of the supports for the handrail on the cruiser deck with a cover over it during the winter, it lives in my parents' shed during the summer, when solar does everything I need. Paid 170 quid for it off Ebay, unused. I'm usually putting less than 10A into the batteries, it has a smart button that reduces the revs, it averages 4 hours running on a litre of petrol. The petrol comes from my motor bike, via a syphon tube.

Not only is it more comfortable to run the petrol genny, no vibrating boat, running time costs are around 50% of the boat engine. And when I eventually wear it out it's a few hundred quid rather than several thousand.

Absolute no brainer for me.  

It may disturb you less but it may disturb others more.