Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

Just now, WotEver said:

See post #41... ;)

That was too far back for me.

Incidentally I steered one of those Frigates up the English Channel once, at 25 knots. I made the mistake of forgetting that a Gyro compass display moves in the opposite direction to that of a magnetic compass so turned the wheel the wrong way. When I reached 3° off course the captain suddenly had a lot to say to me about my abilities, my mental state, my gender, and my ancestry. I never made that mistake again!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, jenevers said:

I think, in the Navy, that’s a ship. Only submarines are BOATS. I may be wrong though?.

That would be a wet boat in any sort of sea. Especially if it was in a hurry 

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

I think, in the Navy, that’s a ship. Only submarines are BOATS. I may be wrong though?.

I know. I really know. As it happens I’m just reading a book by an ex submariner called, (the book not the submariner) Under Pressure. A good read.

I think the OP was asking for pictures of boats. So I drifted off the naval definitions a little.

Do you know why submarines are called boats? In t’olden days, submarines, being very small, were carried, like boats, to an area of operation and launched from the mother ship. Hence the referral to boats.

edited to add, The ‘ship’ in my picture is HMS Exmouth. She was a type 14 anti submarine frigate converted to gas turbine as a test bed for future major ship propulsion. She was in fact governed down to 25 knots. It was like a big speed boat, lots of excellent action and stopping abilities. Had a controllable pitch propeller so she could stop from full speed to stop very little space and time. We had fun off Iceland in mid seventies with Icelandic gun boats.

Edited by Nightwatch

50 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Do you know why submarines are called boats? In t’olden days, submarines, being very small, were carried, like boats, to an area of operation and launched from the mother ship. Hence the referral to boats.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

On this day in 2006, there was unloading at Whitwood Wharf (next to Faries Hill Junction) Aire&Calder Wakefield Branch

L1200_20060408_0030.JPG.ec7b6e93590813fc10c0400d477d2b73.JPGand by happenstance we were on a different boat on the same calendar day in 2010, following the same route, there was another unloading operation at Whitwood.L1638_20100408_0234.JPG.16f2ace6339fa74649c282f33fea56c0.JPG

This aggregate trade ceased in 2013, and the Yorkshire Post here reports prospect of revival.

34 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The bridge hole is still the same though....plough your way through...

Yes one of the few bridges that I nearly always grind to a halt in when trying to glide through.

4 hours ago, Detling said:

Ok count the narrow boats in this lock.DSC09583.JPG.3398d69d2bb0ad559d00a7cbdc46221e.JPG

A very nice blue narrowboat third back on the left. 

St Pancras Cruising club trip May 2017. Wonderful trip, but the 28? narrowboats in an unbroken  line through the centre of London sure pissed the trip boat operators off

Our last year cruising, the left the boat with a broker and flew directly home.

6 hours ago, Detling said:

Ok count the narrow boats in this lock.DSC09583.JPG.3398d69d2bb0ad559d00a7cbdc46221e.JPG

Or this one:

PICT0316.JPG.a1c6156bb380dd1970ed840284c0a3e1.JPG

The big boat is HMS St Albans.

15 January 2007, returning from the London Boat Show Royal Docks cruise with St Pancras Cruising Club.

More pics from this trip at http://grandunioncanalcarrying.co.uk/january07/index.html

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Oooh I think we can beat that ?

186 West India Dock To Brentford 4th June 2012.jpg

137 Manchester Ship Canal 30th August 1988.jpg

117 115 London Ring Cruise Limehouse Lock 17th August 1986.jpg

That's a young looking Brian Barnes, the stalwart of the Aylesbury Canal Society for many many years, sitting on the fore deck of Kalamaki