blackrose

• Last visited

• Days Won

blackrose last won the day on August 6 2020

blackrose had the most liked content!

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

blackrose's Achievements

Veteran II

Veteran II (12/12)

1. Yes that's because it's not a Schilling rudder.
  2. If they're single panel rads you could change them for double panel rads of the same size.
  3. More radiators? Out of interest why do you need to touch the radiators? Hot radiators shouldn't really be an issue, most people complain about the opposite problem. However, if your central heating system isn't large enough to dissipate the heat produced and the water goes back to the Webasto hot then that can cause problems because the unit will cycle down and not burn as efficiently and gradually it will get coked up. Is it a Webasto Thermotop C 5kW? Three radiators doesn't sound like a lot unless they are big double panel rads.
  4. Isn't another approach to proceed very gently at tickover to see if you clear any perceived obstruction, rather than ploughing though and potentially grounding? That's what I do if I'm unsure about the water depth or think there may be some underwater obstruction that I can't steer around. I've grounded the bow before but I was going so slowly that I didn't get stuck and it was possible to reverse off. I see so many narrow boaters who seem to think the solution to everything is more power and haven't learned to manoeuvre slowly.
  5. Because some of them aren't very well prepped and painted by the manufacturer or mariniser in the first place and the paint flakes off after several years. That's the case with mine anyway. As I said, the only real reason to repaint them would be for aesthetic reasons. As you can see from pictures in this thread, a nicely painted engine looks impressive.
  6. Thanks, I just need something simple to install that gives me a rough idea of how much mains is being used while I'm onboard. I don't need it to have WiFi or whatever. I'm have a look on eBay for something cheap.
  7. I was thinking about something with a clamp type sensor rather than something I have to physically connect to the mains ring. Does the Sonoff need to be connected?
  8. It only makes a difference to the aesthetic appearance, which is the idea I think. I don't really understand your glass cabinet comment. There's no practical need to paint an engine, but engine manufacturers seem to do it fairly regularly without supplying glass cabinets with them. There's also no real need to paint the inside of some dry engine rooms but they tend to look better painted.
  9. My old owl energy monitor has stopped working - the remote sensor is no longer sending a signal to the display. What's a good alternative with a decent display to see how many kW of power you're using at any one time? That's all I need it for. I don't need any of the other features. I found that the Owl goes through so many batteries that it would negate any cost savings made though the use of the meter. However I'm not really using it to save energy, but just to avoid tripping any breakers.
  10. Yes perhaps. I'll test it with my multimeter over the weekend.
  11. Mine could also do with a repaint. Doing it in-situ isn't an issue but I think the wiring loom and other bits will need to be removed before the old flaking paint and grime is cleaned off?
  12. I think there are a few others here who have the same GI. I know the status of mine is still within normal limits but I just wondered if others who have this GI see the same sorts of readings? I can't actually remember the brand, but I bought it from Aquafax and others who have the same GI will recognise it. I'm sure the needle on mine was just off centre and wasn't quite as far over to the right a few months ago.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.