Bridgewater Canal closed 31.10.16 to 24.02.17

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

The photo on Pennine Waterways shows Vicars Hall Bridge as Bailey Bridge sat on brick abutments. Surely, replacing the bridge deck is a matter of hours. If the abutments are to be rebuilt then a short closure while the deck is removed and a second short closure when it is replaced.

As I recall there is no road over this bridge so I wouldn't have thought it needed anything more substantial that the existing. No doubt someone will post some more info.

The photo on Pennine Waterways shows Vicars Hall Bridge as Bailey Bridge sat on brick abutments. Surely, replacing the bridge deck is a matter of hours. If the abutments are to be rebuilt then a short closure while the deck is removed and a second short closure when it is replaced.

As I recall there is no road over this bridge so I wouldn't have thought it needed anything more substantial that the existing. No doubt someone will post some more info.

A few years ago there was a motorway bridge built over the same canal near Watch House Cruising Club at Stretford and the canal was kept open all through the build.

I think the Vicars Hall bridge may have something to do with the old National Coal Board.

Steve

Ah but ah but. If Peel are not doing it then someone will be paying them for the canal closure. No need for any rush.....

CRT have a similar policy but Peel managed their canal to make a profit.

Oh how the money rolls in, rolls in....

Might also inconvenience some boaters they don't teally want.

/cynicism off/.

N

Ah but ah but. If Peel are not doing it then someone will be paying them for the canal closure. No need for any rush.....

CRT have a similar policy but Peel managed their canal to make a profit.

Oh how the money rolls in, rolls in....

Might also inconvenience some boaters they don't teally want.

/cynicism off/.

N

You may be right. As Pearley pointed out it is not a major bridge and reminds me of the meccano bridge on the Manchester, Bolton and Bury canal.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Another long winter closure on the Bridgewater Canal to replace Vicars Hall bridge which is 1.4 km from Boothstown marina.

Info from the Bridgewater Canal Company.

Steve

Have looked on the Bridgewater Co site but can't find reference to this closure. Am I looking in wrong place?

I'm not local to the area, but the crossing is shown as a road, Vicars Hall Ln, on Google maps.

Maybe it's not a like-for-like replacement of the Bailey bridge. Perhaps a permanent structure is being built to replace it?

If it is a demolition (of the existing abutments) and a new structure, it could easily take two or three months. Especially during the winter, with Christmas/New Year construction site hols and likely bad weather to factor in. During that time it would be possible to keep the navigation open, but it would involve rather more temporary works and use of precast/preformed components, rather than being constructed in situ. In turn that involves more cranage, transport, and so on. That would all add, substantially, to the cost of the civils works.

So while it may be that Peel are deliberately choosing a closure to earn some cash, it could just as easily be that whoever is picking up the tab for the bridge has found that the extra costs of construction and temp works needed to keep the navigation open, outweigh the cost of closing it over the winter period.

• 1 month later...

This closure is to remove the current bridge and replace it with a much bigger bridge, one that will take full HGV vehicles, so I guess some sort of development work will be taking place shortly after completion of this stoppage.

So we have a long closure, sudden change to the reciprocal licencing arrangements and a very aggressive enforcement officer. Could this be an indicator of a new business model ?

No idea what but it doesn't look good for navigation.

Top Cat

So we have a long closure, sudden change to the reciprocal licencing arrangements and a very aggressive enforcement officer. Could this be an indicator of a new business model ?

No idea what but it doesn't look good for navigation.

Top Cat

Aswell as various random and uncommunicated changes such as the notice period for passage through Pomona Lock going from 72hrs to 14 days notice, and the Castlefield service block being closed for general use.

Lots of changes being made without any notice apart from them sneaking them onto ab obscure page on their website.

Aswell as various random and uncommunicated changes such as the notice period for passage through Pomona Lock going from 72hrs to 14 days notice, and the Castlefield service block being closed for general use.

Lots of changes being made without any notice apart from them sneaking them onto ab obscure page on their website.

We should have been going through Pomona Lock over the August bank holiday weekend but Salford Council stopped us as the jetties were unsafe and there was a lot of rubbish at the mooring site.

Steve

Elland Bridge, damaged in the Calderdale floods, will have been closed to boat traffic for over a year by the time it is finished - 27 Dec to July 4 and 31 Oct to 1st March 2017. I came through yesterday, and the construction site is absolutely enormous for a small canal bridge (although carrying a busyish road).

• 3 weeks later...