Where best to stop after Harecastle

FiFiW

Featured Posts

Hi all, currently en route to Caldon. We've had a long day today Broken Cross to Rode Heath, so tomorrow 12 locks and the harecastle should be an erm walk in the park! We plan a bbq, can anyone recommend a decent safe stopover, I'm thinking maybe Festival Park but if we push on where after then on to Caldon? Thank you.

I think the first comfortable mooring up the Caldon is at Engine Lock. There are others but the locations can be a bit 'dubious' In Stoke itself I think I prefer the Longport Park (perhaps it could have been called Westportunsure.png ) moorings.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

First question, when you say "Caldon" do you mean the place or the canal because the junction is normally called Etruria and the canal itself goes through many places, one of which is Caldon (which is about 3 days away). Anyway its only a detail, I know the route you're heading....

Realistically there's 2 choices: make it an easy day and plan to stop at Etruria; or press on to Milton, which is the first village once you've done the locks (the staircase at Etruria and Planet lock) and left Stoke town. You could go a bit further if you wanted but soon you'll be into countryside then more locks (Engine lock, a bit more canal, then Stockton Brook locks).

Ok great thanks! ?? we shall see how we feel after the 12, and Harecastle, I wondered if Westport was a nice area. Long may this fine weather continue ☀️

Westport is fine, as is Etruria. If i wasn't rushing and had the choice, i would go for Westport.

Hi Halsall you passed us today just after engine lock before you went under lift bridge! Looks like you sell some great boat essentials, what is your supply area?

Don't know Juniors supply area but if you tell him you're a Crystal Palace fan you will qualify for a discount of sorts. ;)

Edited by mark99

Hi Halsall you passed us today just after engine lock before you went under lift bridge! Looks like you sell some great boat essentials, what is your supply area?

Hi, you should have waved. It's always nice to meet fellow forumite's.

My regular round is the full Four Counties Ring. Northern T&M to Preston Brook and River Weaver. Shroppie to Chester & Ellesmere Port plus the lower Macclesfield to Oakgrove.

Brian (Nb Alton) does monthly deliveries on the Caldon by road, but we try to substitute the van for boat deliveries 3 times a year, hence why I'm here now.

I'll be back down in a couple of days, do say hello!

• 3 weeks later...