17 replies to this topic

#1 Oliver

Oliver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Boat Name:Per Angusta

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:50 AM

I'm looking for inspiration - so the VP is the obvious place to come!

I have to teach a group of class-bound adults something about the canals. I need to use plenty of activities to keep their attention (they are adults who have had bad learning experiences in school who need to be encouraged back into the learning environment). I was originally planning to use the Lock Game on the Coventry Canal web site as a bit of interactive (and instructional) fun but my problem is that although there will be a couple of laptops for them to use, there is no internet access.

I've put out a feeler to see if I can get hold of a copy of the Coventry Canal code to run on the PCs (with full credit given to Coventry Canal Society of course) but I need a fall back position in case I can't get the code.

I don't think I'm up to a Blue Peter job on constructing a working model of a lock, so here I am seeking inspiration. Any suggestions (that are, of course, relevant to my question :) :help: )

Thanks

#2 Supermalc

Supermalc

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts
  • Boat Name:Wud-E-Nuff

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:06 AM

I did this page last year for this very reason.

http://www.angelfire.../lock/locks.htm

If you use the search facility on forums etc. it might???? come up with the answer you are looking for ... it does often take some time though.

#3 Sir Nibble

Sir Nibble

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:09 AM

I spent some time teaching and always found that if a picture is worth a thousand words, then a model is worth a thousand pictures! Can I suggest drawing an analogy with getting in to a lift on the 5th floor and out on the 4th? How about a 2 dimensional model on OHP transparencies. Oddly, perhaps because they are portrayed so often on TV and cinema, an air lock seems to be readily understood!
www.hell.co.uw

#4 carlt

carlt

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,980 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

I'm looking for inspiration - so the VP is the obvious place to come!

I have to teach a group of class-bound adults something about the canals. I need to use plenty of activities to keep their attention (they are adults who have had bad learning experiences in school who need to be encouraged back into the learning environment). I was originally planning to use the Lock Game on the Coventry Canal web site as a bit of interactive (and instructional) fun but my problem is that although there will be a couple of laptops for them to use, there is no internet access.

I've put out a feeler to see if I can get hold of a copy of the Coventry Canal code to run on the PCs (with full credit given to Coventry Canal Society of course) but I need a fall back position in case I can't get the code.

I don't think I'm up to a Blue Peter job on constructing a working model of a lock, so here I am seeking inspiration. Any suggestions (that are, of course, relevant to my question :) :help: )

Thanks

When my son left nursery I bought them a canal system model, it was plastic and had a lock and a loading wharf and you filled it with water and operated the bits; a bit like brio with boats instead of trains. We set it up on the last day party and the adults were fighting to 'supervise' the canal system (it's not just for kids). I preferred the bouncy castle though!

I've been desperately trying to google it but can't find it anywhere (We bought it from toys r us). When I go to pick him up from school I'll nip into the nursery and get details.

...you actually are one of the more sane/balanced amongst us...

I'm still going to belt you one, its only fair !

#5 CLIVE AND JUDY

CLIVE AND JUDY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Boat Name:Sapphire in Steel

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:31 AM

If you are close to a hire base, they may have a model you could borrow.
Alvechurch at Trowbridge on the K&A have one, so i would suspect that others do too.
They might be nice to you if its not "change over day"

#6 Sir Nibble

Sir Nibble

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:25 AM

Alvechurch at Trowbridge on the K&A have one, so i would suspect that others do too.

I've seen that model, I've also met two people who both claim to have made it!
www.hell.co.uw

#7 Darcy

Darcy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:57 AM

When my son left nursery I bought them a canal system model, it was plastic and had a lock and a loading wharf and you filled it with water and operated the bits; a bit like brio with boats instead of trains. We set it up on the last day party and the adults were fighting to 'supervise' the canal system (it's not just for kids). I preferred the bouncy castle though!

I've been desperately trying to google it but can't find it anywhere (We bought it from toys r us). When I go to pick him up from school I'll nip into the nursery and get details.

Amazon have several all called AquaPlay........ Don't know if these are the ones you meant. The actual mechanisms don't look that realistic (from the tiny pics) but I guess they demonstrate the principles nicely. You can get loads of lovely accessories. I rather like the "squirting fire boat" and how about some little people (or a bear :) ) to crew the boat.

Ann

#8 carlt

carlt

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,980 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

Amazon have several all called AquaPlay........ Don't know if these are the ones you meant. The actual mechanisms don't look that realistic (from the tiny pics) but I guess they demonstrate the principles nicely. You can get loads of lovely accessories. I rather like the "squirting fire boat" and how about some little people (or a bear :) ) to crew the boat.

Ann

That's the one. You're right about the detail (It was only 30 iirc) but it does work very well and yes the squirty fire boat is amusing.

Amazon aquaplay clicky

The prices are high compared to Toys-r-us last year. I paid 29.99 for the lock, harbour and bridge set.

Edited by carlt, 25 April 2007 - 12:12 PM.

...you actually are one of the more sane/balanced amongst us...

I'm still going to belt you one, its only fair !

#9 MartinClark

MartinClark

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

I was originally planning to use the Lock Game on the Coventry Canal web site as a bit of interactive (and instructional) fun but my problem is that although there will be a couple of laptops for them to use, there is no internet access.

There is also this online lock simulation:
http://terrax.org/sa...ks/locksjs.aspx
and the lock staircase variation:
http://terrax.org/sa...ckflightjs.aspx

I don't know whether you can save these onto a laptop to use - I haven't tried.
Martin Clark
Pennine Waterways Website - http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk

#10 Pete

Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

::

There is also this online lock simulation:
http://terrax.org/sa...ks/locksjs.aspx
and the lock staircase variation:
http://terrax.org/sa...ckflightjs.aspx

Gotcha !
I don't think I can live with a simulation that
converts gates to doors !
<_<
Pete
:)

#11 Christine

Christine

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

If you are close to a hire base, they may have a model you could borrow.
They might be nice to you if its not "change over day"

Alvechurch at Alvechurch have one too. I saw it being demonstrated to an American couple who appeared to be on a very steep learning curve!

Check out the BW Wild Over Waterways site - there's loads of games and stuff to download and print off to supplement your lessons.

The plastic canal system occasionally comes up at Lidls. I keep watching out to buy one for Grandson ( at the moment aged 2 months)

Edited by Christine, 26 April 2007 - 06:18 PM.

You can't tell the tale if you haven't climbed the mountain

www.christineburgess.co.uk

#12 VIV SCRAGG

VIV SCRAGG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Boat Name:MONARCH & GRIMSBY

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:52 PM

If you pm your address I can send you a copy of the cd that go's on the Hire Boats that BW send out if you Have not got one its the Blue Covered one Isorry Ive forgotten what is called
IT'S NICE TO BE IMPORTANT
BUT IT'S MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE

#13 Carrie

Carrie

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:41 AM

Hi Oliver
I have here a soft-back book called 'Canals' - Ideas For Teachers, that may be of use?. It's by Joan Cann and Joan Bartholomew (senior lecturers at Chester College of Higher Education).
Published by Chesterway Products
7 Springfield, Hawarden
Deeside, Clwyd CH5 3DW

If you can't get hold of a copy or are pushed for time, I would be happy to lend it to you. If you pm me an address, I can get it in the post asap.
- Carrie

#14 Oliver

Oliver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:27 PM

I've managed to get hold of a child's toy lock, plus Coventry Canal Society are sending me their website on a CD so I can use the lock game without an internet connection.

Thanks everybody for all the help & suggestions

#15 Oliver

Oliver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:16 PM

Taught my class yesterday and it went really well. It over ran due to enthusiasm of students for the Coventry Canal Society lock game. Had to adapt the use of the child's lock toy. Set it up in the kitchen at home to test it only to find that there was a breach. Didn't think flooding the classroom would go down that well with the powers that be, although the students might have enjoyed it!

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

#16 MartinClark

MartinClark

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:45 PM

Had to adapt the use of the child's lock toy. Set it up in the kitchen at home to test it only to find that there was a breach.

It was modelled on the Rochdale.
Martin Clark
Pennine Waterways Website - http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk

#17 JohnOnTheWey

JohnOnTheWey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Boat Name:Tomorrow

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:09 PM

It was modelled on the Rochdale.

Hahahaha - Quip of the Month?

John

#18 kienik

kienik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Boat Name:DittyMay

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

i know a boat yard that has a fantastic model of a lock, it used to owned by simolda on the shroppie near nantwich, the "new" owners of the yard "empress holidays" still have the model, it is a fantastic piece of engineering and works very very well.

i was there a few weeks back taking some piccies of the last remaining original simolda boats.

Nik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users