Transiting Blackburn and Burnley

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hello.

We will,in the next couple of weeks, be heading off towards The upper Pennines. Thoughts I have are,

Blackburn,moorings. Eanam Wharf I believe is the only reasonably safe place to moor.

Burnley moorings. I know nowt.

I read an old thread,2012, that stated that Asda is not the place to leave your boat unattended.

And any other places to avoid.

I feel sad to ask as I was brought up,up here, but that was in the sixties.

Any advice thankfully received.

Martyn CLB.

Hi,

Get through Blackburn and either moor up in Church ( safe and nice) or carry on and get to Reedley Marina just through Burnley, you can moor overnight for a small charge & get coal, diesel pump out/elasn etc and theres a nice bar/cafe.

Just to second Glynn's recommendation: there's an exceptionally pleasant visitor mooring in Church, a few hundred yards north of the sculpture marking the halfway point of the L&L; very quiet, very rural, mooring rings (and picnic benches!) provided.

I stopped and shopped at Asda in Blackburn twice last year with no bother - once reasonably early and once around lunchtime.

Riley Green is a pleasant rural mooring before heading into Blackburn and must agree with everyone else about Church - in fact, anywhere along the stretch between Rishton and Church.

A CRT employee recommended mooring at their new service block at Rose Grove before transiting Burnley - but there are three bollards in a lovely rural location just after Fosters Swing Bridge (115a) which had a great view. If you don't want to go into the marina after Burnley, I spent a safe and quiet night near Bridge 136 between Burnley and Nelson (where you can still lock your boat in on the Morrisons mooring!).

To be honest, before I went I was a bit wary of going through both towns - but can honestly say I had absolutely no problems, never felt worried or threatened and neither was anywhere near as bad as I feared. I've travelled through worse places - and it's certainly worth it.....

ETA: Hope you enjoy it!

Edited by metanoia

Having travelled that way many times I found Church, Clough Bank and Hapton good places to stay. I'm sure there are others Weaver's Triangle in Burnley usually has a few boats moored there as does Eanam Wharf. Past Burnley there's Reedly and anywhere around Barrowford locks although top is our preferred option.

Spent a night right on the back door to the pub on Eanam Wharf a couple of years ago - the worst thing that happened was one fag end on the back deck!

Nice mooring at Rishton but I've seen a couple of adverse comments about the locals - good shops up the hill.

Watch yourself if mooring at Church - there was/is a carefully hidden large hole next to one of the mooring rings full of water. Guess who found it!

Consider just East of the winding hole between br 118 & 119 - a bit near the motorway but fairly quiet and great views.

Rose Grove good for services and shops up the hill (again!).

Rings outside Inn on the Wharf in Burnley.

Reedley usually has a spare short term berth. Kingfisher well worth a visit.

Quiet offside mooring at the foot of Barrowford although the bywash can get a bit noisy.

Top of Barrowford past the long term moorers just after the bend.

Just after Foulridge at the old wharf.

Salterforth outside the pub if either berth is free.

Edited by Opener

Spent a night right on the back door to the pub on Eanam Wharf a couple of years ago - the worst thing that happened was one fag end on the back deck!

Nice mooring at Rishton but I've seen a couple of adverse comments about the locals - good shops up the hill.

Watch yourself if mooring at Church - there was/is a carefully hidden large hole next to one of the mooring rings full of water. Guess who found it!

Consider just East of the winding hole between br 118 & 119 - a bit near the motorway but fairly quiet and great views.

Rose Grove good for services and shops up the hill (again!).

Rings outside Inn on the Wharf in Burnley.

Reedley usually has a spare short term berth. Kingfisher well worth a visit.

Quiet offside mooring at the foot of Barrowford although the bywash can get a bit noisy.

Top of Barrowford past the long term moorers just after the bend.

Just after Foulridge at the old wharf.

Salterforth outside the pub if either berth is free.

Very thorough and detailed, thank you.

That should keep me out of trouble.

Enjoying Wheelton and Heapy area at present.

Martyn

Its nice to stop for a pint or lunch at the Boatyard pub at Riley Green, just a few mile after wheelmen top lock.

Keep this to yourself, I plan to do just that, shhh! She may be listening.

Been told also The Red Lion is good for Sunday din dins as is the Golden Lion. There be lots of Lions.

Having to hang about as we have vets to visit by hire car at Crewe. Then we're away again. Why you needed to know that I don't know.

Martyn

If you're stopping in Riley Green then the Royal Oak just up the hill is an outstanding pub and much better than the Boatyard in my opinion.

I would second the spot by bridge 115A as well - as fine a view as there is on the whole network, looking across the Ribble valley to the Bowland Fells. A bit of noise from the M65 on the other side but a fine spot for overnight.

I have always found Rishton to be fine as well - a decent mooring with handy shops and take aways, although we haven't been for a year or two.

If you're stopping in Riley Green then the Royal Oak just up the hill is an outstanding pub and much better than the Boatyard in my opinion.

Oh dear! I'm going to have to try both now.

Thank you for the other comments.

Martyn

Update. We have been through both Blackburn and Burnley without incident. Not even a hint of dodgyness.

We moored last night in Church, near the church, on the little morning spot with the picnic tables that someone mentioned, thank you.

Tonight we are at the foot of Barrowfield Locks.

I have to say that there are some dodgy looking areas where I don't think anyone would moor, but we have absolutely enjoyed the journey. Such a mixture of beautiful views and historic industrial buildings. Fantastic.

One hiccup. Entered Gannow Tunnel. Wide enough for two narrowboats to pass. We heard shouting which grew and grew. It was in fact a wide beam CRT work boat (Wigan). No lights,coming the other way. Had to reverse back out and into so much cr*p that it clogged up the prop. Passed through the tunnel then spent thirty minutes down the hatch.

The CRT guys said their light broke half way through. They weren't half way through! I wasn't happy. Anyway I have got over it now.