Cheaper WiFI solution?

RichM

Featured Posts

For internet access, I currently use a 4G MiFI decive which is great for occasional use, with speeds of up to 40Mbit down in the middle of nowhere... This is great except mobile data costs a fortune!

I am on a canal where there's canalside pubs with WiFI, a dock in the city centre with hotspots everywhere and a nearby marina with WiFI internet. Public WiFI networks are in abundance here it seems. Of course, getting connected with nothing more than the built in WiFI adapter inside my laptop is virtually impossible while sat inside a steel box!

In attempt to combat this I've bought a pretty neat looking outdoor antenna. Made in the UK and looks to be of decent build quality.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170389530090?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If it works out OK I will probably mount it on to my tv aerial pole.

Has anyone had much experience with these or anything similar? When I get mine, I will certainly let you know how I get on.

Edited by Armitage Shanks

For that price you would be far better off with something like a USB connected Alfa device or LAN connected NanoStation, both with far more powerful transceivers and built in aerials.

Stay away from plain external aerials connected to feeble internal WiFi transceiver due to losses in cable.

That would be ideal except I have portholes so I thought something externally mounted would be better in my situation.

For that price you would be far better off with something like a USB connected Alfa device or LAN connected NanoStation, both with far more powerful transceivers and built in aerials.

Stay away from plain external aerials connected to feeble internal WiFi transceiver due to losses in cable.

I'm interested in getting my laptop connected by wi-fi as well. My experience with signals when cruising ranges from poor mediocre, lousy, or nothing.

Do the devices mentioned here mean I will be able to pick up signals from afar and connect to the internet and emails much better.

Do I need additional network licenses to use these devices, or pay extra as I go - or what?

That would be ideal except I have portholes so I thought something externally mounted would be better in my situation.

Both the devices I mentioned sit outside the boat. The LAN cable feed from the NanoStation can be directly connected to an internal WiFi router (I use an old BT one) so you have your own internal network inside your boat. I'm using such at the moment with tablet, phone and smart TV all connected.

I'm interested in getting my laptop connected by wi-fi as well. My experience with signals when cruising ranges from poor mediocre, lousy, or nothing.

Do the devices mentioned here mean I will be able to pick up signals from afar and connect to the internet and emails much better.

Do I need additional network licenses to use these devices, or pay extra as I go - or what?

Essentially yes. I believe a NanoStation has had an over water connection as great as five miles but that's really stretching things and obviously dependant on the power of the hotspot you are connecting too. See above for further info. No need for any licence. You will obviously need hotspot WiFi access code unles its configured open.

Edited by by'eck

I too am all portholes and fix my WiFi to the Houdini hatch which works OK but did invest in a signal booster with external whip aerial, this helped drag the signal into the boat, it meant I could use my spare phone which is 3, prior to getting the booster I could o ly use it outside. We use O2 here as it is best one for phone, no problem with using it inside, however my O2 WiFi is next to useless.

The booster came from China for about £30-00, another chap here uses a similar booster for his 3 phone but he has a yagi aerial and hr swears by it

Cannot believed we are in the 21st centuary and we are still struggling to get decent signals.

Phil

Essentially yes. I believe a NanoStation has had an over water connection as great as five miles but that's really stretching things and obviously dependant on the power of the hotspot you are connecting too. See above for further info. No need for any licence. You will obviously need hotspot WiFi access code unles its configured open.

Does the NanoStation work OK with hotspots which use captive portals for authentication? I.e. the ones where you have to sign up on a website etc.

Does the NanoStation work OK with hotspots which use captive portals for authentication? I.e. the ones where you have to sign up on a website etc.

Yes since that technology is browser based so not relevant to the WiFi hook up.

I have a yagi antenna like that connected to an Alfa network card. It has very good range but is very directional so setting up can be a pain

I was going to say the same thing. Yachting around Europe I always used an outdoor omni directional aerial hauled up the mast. Others talked about directional Yagi antenna pulling in signals from much further away, but I was always able to get by.

I guess if you know where the source is, you can point the aerial fairly accurately?

I was going to say the same thing. Yachting around Europe I always used an outdoor omni directional aerial hauled up the mast. Others talked about directional Yagi antenna pulling in signals from much further away, but I was always able to get by.

I guess if you know where the source is, you can point the aerial fairly accurately?

This is one thing which put me off the yagi - the fact it's not omni-directional. Though in theory, I could use Google maps to locate a pub / likely hotspot location and point it in the right direction relative to my boat. Perhaps not so easy in practice though?

This is one thing which put me off the yagi - the fact it's not omni-directional. Though in theory, I could use Google maps to locate a pub / likely hotspot location and point it in the right direction relative to my boat. Perhaps not so easy in practice though?

It might seem a flippant response but won't you need to point the yagi in order to load Google to find where to point the yagi. I am 'new' to wi-fi narrowboating so it is a serious question.

Sorry to be a pain, and to the OP for pinchin' the question. Where do these hotspot WiFi access codes come from ? Apart from the one dedicated to my BT hub that only works here at home for private use. I do not have any.

Sorry to be a pain, and to the OP for pinchin' the question. Where do these hotspot WiFi access codes come from ? Apart from the one dedicated to my BT hub that only works here at home for private use. I do not have any.

think of a canalside pub...

visit during opening hours and ask for the wifi code (to use with your phone)

return to your boat

connect to the pubs wifi using the code you got earlier

Never seen anything that looks like that before!

Ubiquiti seems a common option, they are used externally.

ubnt_nanostation_m_1_2.jpg

Daniel

Yes since that technology is browser based so not relevant to the WiFi hook up.

Thanks both - Decided to cancel the Yagi and go with what you suggested, though I opted for the smaller of the two NanoStations as it's cheaper and less prominent looking. - hopefully less likely to get stolen!

Although its range is less impressive than the Yagi, I like the idea of having my own onboard LAN and the admin interface/control panel for the NanoStation looks awesome.

It might seem a flippant response but won't you need to point the yagi in order to load Google to find where to point the yagi. I am 'new' to wi-fi narrowboating so it is a serious question.

I have 4G on my phone and can use Google maps on that to find possible hotspot locations nearby. Pubs and the like are usually clearly marked on Google maps.

Some WiFI networks are open, meaning that you can connect to them without a WiFI security key or access code. Normally once connected to the network, it will take you to a web page where you can register for free internet access.