What's the Grand Union like over winter?

Ajna

Featured Posts

Are there lots of stoppages over winter or will I be able to keep moving?

If not able to move due to a closed lock ect what's the protacall as I've never been in that position before due to having a mooring.

Forgot to say I hope to be in Tring around October time early November.

Are there lots of stoppages over winter or will I be able to keep moving?

If not able to move due to a closed lock ect what's the protacall as I've never been in that position before due to having a mooring.

Forgot to say I hope to be in Tring around October time early November.

Considering your claimed occupation I am surprised you need to ask this.

• Greenie 1

Not sure if it matters to you or not, but we struggled to get any tv reception around Tring & found the wifi signal fairly slow

We stayed on the GU last winter moving from Brentford up to Leighton Buzzard from Early November to end of March, it was fine. Easy to find moorings within easy reach of services and shops.

The canal froze over a couple of times; each time for 2 - 3 days, although it wasn't very thick we didn't move whilst it was froze and CRT were fine with that when I called to explain we would need to overstay longer than 14 days till it thawed out a bit. It wasn't soooo much to do with moving the boat; but I was uncomfortable doing the locks when it was icy.

Just have a look at the CRT planned stoppages map, and you can plan on a winter cruising area that suits your needs and still be able to move every couple of weeks to fulfill your T&C's

Not sure if it matters to you or not, but we struggled to get any tv reception around Tring & found the wifi signal fairly slow

We stayed on the GU last winter moving from Brentford up to Leighton Buzzard from Early November to end of March, it was fine. Easy to find moorings within easy reach of services and shops.

The canal froze over a couple of times; each time for 2 - 3 days, although it wasn't very thick we didn't move whilst it was froze and CRT were fine with that when I called to explain we would need to overstay longer than 14 days till it thawed out a bit. It wasn't soooo much to do with moving the boat; but I was uncomfortable doing the locks when it was icy.

Just have a look at the CRT planned stoppages map, and you can plan on a winter cruising area that suits your needs and still be able to move every couple of weeks to fulfill your T&C's

Thanks for that Bettie.

So if it's foul weather is it acceptable to not to go through locks?

Just to clarify before a forum goon pipes up Im talking 2 or 3 days not weeks or months!

What wifi firm were you using please?

Thanks.

Thanks for that Bettie.

Just to clarify before a forum goon pipes up Im talking 2 or 3 days not weeks or months!

Thanks.

My conversation with CRT went something along the lines of...

Me - "hi we are currently moored at XXX and the canal is froze over, we should be moving today as our 14 days are now up, however we are not comfortable moving the boat through ice, but will move on as soon as the ice clears".

CRT lady - "that's fine, I'll let the EO officer for that area know, and advise that you will be moving when you feel it is safe to do so, thank you for your call and letting us know"

We stayed at that location for an extra 3 days till the ice cleared, then we moved on.

I use EE and have very good coverage everywhere on the GU with the exception of Tring summit and around Braunston. I do get some signal, but it's very slow in both these locations, compared to the rest of the GU.

Hope that helps

Thanks for that Bettie.

Thanks.

I don't think it's "foul weather" as much as being iced in. Not the same thing.

Considering your claimed occupation I am surprised you need to ask this.

Tee-hee.

Was it Piers Morgan, when editor of a daily paper, who sacked the paper's astrologer with a letter beginning "As you will already know, your contract is being terminated"?

Very surprised about wi fi signal as you are so close to main towns all the way. Have always had strong 4G on EE along there. As for tv freeview was fine but as always with sattalite you take your chance with trees.

I must agree it's great for being good for winter plenty of shops and transport. If you move over the distance you mention then no problems from crt.

Just read another reply from Betty since posting. The summit was weak on wi fi but tv fine out of the cutting of course.

As someone who is new to CCing I am just trying to accertain if it's acceptable not to move if the weather is that bad the individual feels it's not safe for them to do so and by the sounds of it CRT are reasonable so long as you don't take the nick.

Thanks for the replies I now have lots of boaty jobs to do to prepare for the journey!

Tee-hee.

Was it Piers Morgan, when editor of a daily paper, who sacked the paper's astrologer with a letter beginning "As you will already know, your contract is being terminated"?

Kelvin McKenzie. I believe the termination letter to his astrologist started with " As you will undoubtedly have foreseen... "

Edited for spelling.

Edited by cuthound

I don't move in high wind as a single handed it can be dangerous to moor up or even stop on lock landings to open and close locks. I am currently stuck on a 48 hour mooring (though plenty of space) waiting to go on my mooring as it requires me to reverse in and the wind here would make that impossible