River Weaver

junior

Featured Posts

I'm soon to be on the T&M headed for Manchester and though I'd take the opportunity for a quick blast on the River Weaver to see how my boat goes on deeper water.

Having never been off the canal before I have a few silly newbie questions I'm hoping veterans of the Weaver could help me with.

Do I need an anchor? I have the anchor, chain and rope on the boat but none of it is connected and it's all hidden away.

Will I need a life jacket?

Having never been anywhere near a river before I'm thinking of a few things that I probably shouldn't be....

If the river is flowing fast, how do I moor up single handed as I will need to step off with the centre line?

When I moor up do I need to worry about the water level going up and down over night?

When I go up the boat lift, how long will it take me to get to the end of the navigable section? Is there somewhere to moor there? I was planning to stop over night and go back down the next day.

Is anyone planning to visit the Weaver over the next few weeks? It would be great to buddy up. If there are any Weaver veterans on the forum who fancy a blast in the next few weeks, give me a shout. I'd like to get some photos and it's pretty hard single handed.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Anchor and life jacketsbare a must in my opinion but many boats don't bother.

If you get onto the river early enough then you can get to either end in the day. Remember that the top lock, Vale Royal has restricted opening hours, or did when we were last there.

The flow on the river is quite gentle but generally you moor with the upstream end first.

The Weaver Navigation is normally very placid, with little flow, Yes it can get a bit more interesting after heavy rain, but that doesn't happen often in the summer months.

Personal choice whether to wear lifejacket, or carry an anchor. If you're on your own, the argument for wearing a lifejacket is stronger. It could be a long way to swim to the bank.

Going upstream from the Lift, non stop, I suppose as a rough guess about 3 1/2 hours to Winsford (depends on your speed and luck with locks, of course), maybe about the same down to Weston Point.

Tim

I'm soon to be on the T&M headed for Manchester and though I'd take the opportunity for a quick blast on the River Weaver to see how my boat goes on deeper water.

Having never been off the canal before I have a few silly newbie questions I'm hoping veterans of the Weaver could help me with.

Do I need an anchor? I have the anchor, chain and rope on the boat but none of it is connected and it's all hidden away.

In theory, you should have an anchor, but it's very likely there'll be no noticeable current at all. I'd make the judgement on the day. If it's been raining and you can easily see which way the current is flowing, get you anchor out. If you have to look hard to even work out what's upstream and what's downstream, don't bother.

Will I need a life jacket?

No-one will make you wear one and most people don't. If you're single handing and not a strong swimmer, it would be advisable. You certainly won;t be a able to stand on the bottom if you fall in.

Having never been anywhere near a river before I'm thinking of a few things that I probably shouldn't be....

If the river is flowing fast, how do I moor up single handed as I will need to step off with the centre line?

If going downstream, turn so that you're going upstream, that make it easy to stay in control as you balance the engine and the flow.

When I moor up do I need to worry about the water level going up and down over night?

The levels are well controlled. Don't tie your ropes drum-tight and you'll be fine.

When I go up the boat lift, how long will it take me to get to the end of the navigable section? Is there somewhere to moor there? I was planning to stop over night and go back down the next day.

The lift is in the middle, so first you have to decide upstream or downstream. There are plenty of moorings. If going downstream the end where the lock to the ship canal is is interesting to visit, but not to overnight unless you like chlorine tanks smile.png. Devils garden is a nice overnight mooring.

Is anyone planning to visit the Weaver over the next few weeks? It would be great to buddy up. If there are any Weaver veterans on the forum who fancy a blast in the next few weeks, give me a shout. I'd like to get some photos and it's pretty hard single handed.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Locks have keepers and opening hours and lunch breaks.

Cheers,

MP.

Normally on any river I'd say an anchor is a necessity (although 30 years ago no one bothered) but the Weaver isn't a normal river, it's been canalised so much that it's a very slow flowing very large canal. That siad if you've got an anchor it would be sensible to fit it!

Life jackets more needed because of depth than flow - if you fall in you won't be able to stand up.

Lovely navigation - well worth the time to do the whole thing, people who just go down the lift and up again don't know what they are missing

Been down on the Weaver several times, the last time about three weeks ago. It was only this last time that I took an anchor, and that was just because I now own one; never bothered before.

Only Elsan point is in Northwich. Most locks have water points. The new leaflet they give you shows all the moorings, water points etc. Don't rely on getting in at Acton Bridge.

It's worth going to the end both ways. Nice pontoon to moor on by the MSC lock. Plenty of moorings in Northwich if you want to shop.

Unless there has been heavy rain in the area in the last 48 hours, you will barely be able to detect the flow. The river rises and falls quite quickly as it is quite a small stream above Winsford - really the Weaver is a big canal rather than a river - hence the distinction of calling it the Weaver Navigation. It's nothing like the Severn for instance.

The character is different to a canal, but varied and interesting enough not to get boring.

And just to mention that getting off the boat for locks is no different - the locks are in canalised bits with zero flow except for a lock filling or emptying. Getting off the boat to moor on the river is normally no different either, the current is not normally detectable. I wouldn't bother to turn upstream unless there has been / is going to be prolonged heavy rain.

Oh and try to allow 2 full days, which is the minimum you need to go most of the way to each end. Preferably 3 days. In case you didn't know, the lift is free if you just turn up and wait your turn, or £10 (I think) to book a particular passage. Considering the time of year it might be best to book your return passage if you intend to get the last one of the afternoon (around 16:30 IIRC - but check) and can't afford the time to spend another night on the river.

Oh and try to allow 2 full days, which is the minimum you need to go most of the way to each end. Preferably 3 days. In case you didn't know, the lift is free if you just turn up and wait your turn, or £10 (I think) to book a particular passage. Considering the time of year it might be best to book your return passage if you intend to get the last one of the afternoon (around 16:30 IIRC - but check) and can't afford the time to spend another night on the river.

£5 and it is very quite at present but yes if you want the last passage of the day most probably best to book first in morning is 09:15

Plenty of Good Advice above, the Weaver really is a good river to do for first timer, it's a fairly well controlled navigation & the lockies are friendly & helpful. Lovely moorings above Vale Royal or around Dutton & Devils Garden, plus the Anderton Lift is amazing.

We'll be on the Weaver this Sun / Mon 10th / 11th August.

Cheers, Brian

When on the Weaver I have noticed large numbers of small mussels in the chambers of the locks, particularly near the quoins. For such small creatures they squirt impressive jets of water. I've seen them on other waterways too, but not in the same number.

Anyone know which species they are?

When on the Weaver I have noticed large numbers of small mussels in the chambers of the locks, particularly near the quoins. For such small creatures they squirt impressive jets of water. I've seen them on other waterways too, but not in the same number.

Anyone know which species they are?

Almost certainly Zebra mussels, an imported/invasive species. You quite likely have some attached to your boat.

Tim

Almost certainly Zebra mussels, an imported/invasive species. You quite likely have some attached to your boat.

Tim

And when they get squashed, like when your boat is being blacked, they smell of the sea

Richard

Tim

That was my assumption but there was no sign of the characteristic stripes that give Zebra mussels their name.

We were on the R Weaver last week, really lovely. No flow to speak of, above Vale Royal the flow was actually the wrong way!! Good moorings above Vale Royal locks, also at Sutton Bridge on the non-towpath side upstream of the bridge. Had a good BBQ there with excellent stuff from the lovely butchers in Frodsham...... frequent buses there from Sutton Bridge. Lock keepers all very friendly and informative. They welcome being phoned to advise of one's approach, so they can get lock ready. VR has same times as all the other locks, now that the smaller lock is back in use. One night we moored at the end of the lock landing below Hunts Lock, very peaceful. There is no notice, but lock keeper told us it is a 48 hour mooring. Red Lion at Winsford a nice pub, but mooring stage short, only long enough for one narrowboat. It's a really lovely river.

When on the Weaver I have noticed large numbers of small mussels in the chambers of the locks, particularly near the quoins.

They cling onto the guillotine gates on the lift too.

Gave our boat a good squirting as we passed under.

The Weaver is lovely, enjoy it.

They cling onto the guillotine gates on the lift too.

Gave our boat a good squirting as we passed under.

The Weaver is lovely, enjoy it.

I love the Weaver too, but Zebra mussels are an invasive species that causes various problems and it is well known that boats help to disperse them. Once again, biological control could help overcome the problem.

Another river weaver fan here! take time to enjoy it! It's lovely to go a little faster especially after the twisty T&M. We havent used an anchor just moored with back and front ropes carefully! Above Vale Royal is lovely as are areas going downstream, then you get to the industrial bit which some like but i personally don't! Though mooring on pontoon and looking out over MSC was good.

Lift is a great experience too. We have been on to River three times and love it, it it hasnt rained you barely notice the flow. It's a great 1st river and up to you about life jacket, i did 1st two times but not last though it is wider and deeper than canal.

Have a lovely trip