Skandia 13b engine

Neville Bond

Featured Posts

hello,

Your Engine is built 1952-54.

If i can get in Contact with the guy who sell the spare maybe we can see who bought it new and an exact date.

He have all the spares from Skandia verken and all the paperwork.

I have never seen that type of wick in a Skandia before,do you soak it in ethanol and fire it up or?

Nice Engine,it looks well cared forclapping.gif

Those Zundfix cigarettes are self-igniting, from the compression. I don't know just how much compression is needed, whether there will be enough with that style of engine and bouncing it against compression.

Tim

I noticed there is a direction arrow stamped on the flywheel, it is indicating clockwise, I think those wicks can also be lit .

They can, they splutter like fireworks if they are.

The Field-Marshall, by the way, uses blotting paper soaked in saltpetre solution and dried & cut into squares, then rolled up to fit into the holder. Those do have to be lit.

Tim

Heres a little film I shot recently of starting a 1920s Blackstone stationary engine - using the smouldering paper technique with compressed air injection.

The engine was warm (the apprentice had let it run out of fuel) but the paper appeared to be ordinary writing / printer paper.

I also have a Skandia engine lurking in my shed. Skandia 120b 23HP at 600 revs. Did some restoration on it and it runs OK and has really nice sound but not hiss and miss. Found it was too heavy for my boat (suit full length tug) so it needs a new home if any one is interested. Probably weighs about 1ton. You can start it with compessed air or by hand/foot.There is a museum in Sweden in Lysekil.www.llaurin.se

I also have a Skandia engine lurking in my shed. Skandia 120b 23HP at 600 revs. Did some restoration on it and it runs OK and has really nice sound but not hiss and miss. Found it was too heavy for my boat (suit full length tug) so it needs a new home if any one is interested. Probably weighs about 1ton. You can start it with compessed air or by hand/foot.There is a museum in Sweden in Lysekil.www.llaurin.se

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh...............

P.S. Tried to PM you Mike, but as a new user you can't receive PMs until you've posted five times on the forums. Keep posting!

Or maybe you could email me on <email edited out to foil the screenscrapers> please. Many thanks!

(Edited as I've now heard from Mike)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

FTS do you really need an engine? if Mike responds, the HRW2 might become redundant. You expressed an interest in it before...!

MtB

Yes, but probably not until next summer having saved the pennies- want to replace the terrier like (small, loud, tries very hard) LPWS4 with something with a bit more guts. If you're at Braunston next Saturday, will happily discuss over a pint cheers.gif

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Yes, but probably not until next summer having saved the pennies- want to replace the terrier like (small, loud, tries very hard) LPWS4 with something with a bit more guts. If you're at Braunston next Saturday, will happily discuss over a pint cheers.gif

Sure, we'll have a chat. I'm sure something can be arranged!

MtB

Petra was originally fitted with a Skandia 101B 21 hp. I think it only right that Mike should donate his 120B to me as it's probably as near to original as I'm likely to find.

Much too big for a narrow boatwink.png

That would free up a nice DAF 475, just right for a tug ( assuming you'd intend towing a train of joeys )

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Ok, an update. Here's the Skandia in REGINALD, the installation looking very smart and tidy, and approaching completion (bar the inevitable teething problems).

IMG_1704_zpsatwjv9z1.jpg

The goal is to get it ready in time for Braunston Rally.

Starting it is proving a bit of a headache. Does anyone have any definitive instructions about how/where to set the governor, injector etc for starting?

In the meantime I'll have a Google to see if I can find a manual for the engine...

Thanks TIm.

No I haven't. Never occurred to me that looking at it might reveal anything helpful! Will report back...

Any idea what the (leaking) head gasket might be made from, or where get another?

AFAIK it was standard fitment on the Field Marshalls, using a blank 12-bore cartridge, but the method was optional, as an alternative to using a glowing starting paper and winding by hand.

Tim

100% correct Tim. A lot more usable too

Ok, an update. Here's the Skandia in REGINALD, the installation looking very smart and tidy, and approaching completion (bar the inevitable teething problems).

IMG_1704_zpsatwjv9z1.jpg

The goal is to get it ready in time for Braunston Rally.

Starting it is proving a bit of a headache. Does anyone have any definitive instructions about how/where to set the governor, injector etc for starting?

In the meantime I'll have a Google to see if I can find a manual for the engine...

Use Nev B on http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum has a Skandia 13B, and is asking much the same question.

http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=39276

Doesn't look quite the same as yours though.

IMGP2391_zps275bbc76.jpg

Mine's a 120B (well over twice the size) thought that was clear from earlier in the thread, but even so I should have said so again. Or better, started a new thread!

Anyway it's been running again today. The starting difficulties seem to be due to lack of adequate fuel and the absence of a fuel priming lever.

Compression seems good in my opinion having had play with it today myself, but it's hard the get it to fire no matter how hot the hot bulb is heated. Lack of fuel, we think, as little white smoke or anything from the exhaust during attempts.

Will post a video once I get one uploaded to youtube.

Mine's a 120B (well over twice the size) thought that was clear from earlier in the thread, but even so I should have said so again. Or better, started a new thread!

Sorry! I was going by the thread title, not having reread the earlier posts.

Mike, as regards the head gasket.

On our Bolinder 15hp we have always used steam flange gasket sheet. Over 40 years we have used many types as each has been banned in turn but most sheet packing material for steam will be satisfactory, so long as it is thick enough and stiff enough.

Klingerite has been a favourite but there are others. Ebay is a wonderful thing!

On the Bolinder the gasket is only keeping the water in place.

The bang is contained by a ring of 1/2" square graphited rope in a rebate right by the piston. There is a matching spigot on the head which compresses it. Everything is buttered with manganese jointing paste.

Never had a problem.

Tim