Tow from Tewkesbury?? Help!!

Sinead Carnie

Featured Posts

Hi , everyone! We are in the middle of purchasing a narrow boat that is currently stranded at Healing's Mill on the river Avon , Im sure many of you have seen it at some point over the last couple of years. It is due to be lifted into the water this week and we need to find some help in towing her part of the way. She will have to be moved into the water before she can go anywhere due to the awkward location. we would like to keep costs down due to the amount of renovation work that we have ahead of us, She is not in very good shape and the engine will not start properly (its not seized but as yet a mechanic cant work out why its not starting) We are aware of the journey time and around 100 locks to negotiate..and we are prepared to take as long as it takes to get her to the Atherstone/Bedworth area (well my partner is bless him!!) any advice or help however small will be most welcome and even a hand in a small part of the way would be very gratefully received! We are hoping that it will be possible so that we can give this boat the chance to be loved and lived in again.

Edited by Sinead Carnie

Is this the boat which was left high and dry after the floods? Just along from the lock. It seemed to be missing a propeller when we saw it and to have suffered a bit of vandalism. Good luck with the journey and restoration

Sorry we can't help as we are not in that area now.

haggis

Hi Sinead, and welcome to the forum.

That's quite a distance, especially if you are thinking of towing it. If you can it really would be better to somehow get the engine going again.

A couple of other points if you are thinking of moving it by water, either with or without its own power is the CRT (Canals and Rivers Trust) licence, Insurance and a valid BSS safety certificate. I think, even if it cannot move under its own power you would need these. A call to CRT licensing would clarify. You possibly might get a one off exemption, but my guess is you wouldn't.

Good luck with your new project, anyway.

Ken

Hi Haggis, yea that's the one! We have a new propeller..just need a running engine now!!!

Hi Mattlad, we will have to get it in the water before we can transport it by land but it may end up being the only option!

It is a big ask for someone to tow you all that way. The most pragmatic approach I would have though is a tow to Tewkesbury marina, and then by truck, it will of course not be cheap, but you would have it there in the day.

Yea I know that, I wouldn't reasonably expect anyone to want to tow us all the way but if we could get part of the way bit by but then that's more what I was thinking of. it's a long shot I just like to exhaust all options, especially financial ones! You are right we will probably end up having to do it the sensible way. Hopefully we will get the engine going but I guess it's a case of seeing what happens over the next few days.

Have you considered getting an outboard - might sound daft - but once you are moving it'll keep you going.

Simply 'mackle' up a bracket on the stern and bolt it on.

Once you are where you want to be sell the OB

As a very rough guide an outboard will move 1 ton of boat per Horsepower - it may take some time to get moving and takes a fair distance to stop but it will give you some independance.

Alan

I am not saying your idea will not work but this boat is on a river (well the bank really) and if it does float they will be going against the flow.

The boat will weigh in the region of 18 to 20 tonne, so it will need to be a big outboard. biggrin.png

Alan

I am not saying your idea will not work but this boat is on a river (well the bank really) and if it does float they will be going against the flow.

The boat will weigh in the region of 18 to 20 tonne, so it will need to be a big outboard. biggrin.png

Fair comments as I dont know the location / situation. Depending on the flow an old inexpensive Johnson 25 (or similar) may do the job

The OB option rarely seems to be considered when looking at moving 'broken down' boats.

How are you planning to "launch" the boat initially into the water? I belive part of the problem of its location is that its been washed up onto a concrete bank, but the area its in is unsuitable/inaccessible for any heavy machinery eg a suitably-sized crane.

We have that sorted for Thursday Paul , the land owners have arranged it, I think they are using 2 small cranes as, as you said its too small a space to do it the usual way. Im not holding my breath though! We are just looking to get it from there to the Worcester and Birmingham if we can get it into the water.

We are only having it on successful entry to the water.. if it goes down I reckon it will be staying there! It was floating in the floods in Jan and it dry inside other than a bit of rain water so fingers crossed... I don't know what sheets are by the way, excuse my ignorance im new to all this!

I believe Paul C is advising to be prepared by having a high power water pump and large poly sheets or tarpaulins available, which would be needed should the launch go wrong and your pride and joy fills with water. The sheets are used to wrap around the hull to prevent more water coming in while you are attempting to pump water out. Hopefully it won't come to that.