BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Hmm, he doesn't say he went to the basin, a 2 cylinder Petter isn't noted for being high revving, and I'd be amazed if he went from the Town basin to Ocker Hill in an hour!

How did your challenge go ? We spotted NOTOS a couple of times

Richard

Hi Richard,

I assumed from the timing 8:55pm at the top lock + 7/8 minutes a lock would make apox 10pm in the basin, that it was Albion. If not then I apologise (will the real culprit own up).

We had a great time (despite the rain) thoroughly enjoyed visiting parts of the system we have not been to before (Cannock Extension & Walsall - which despite some of the other comments on this forum we found to be a very pleasant canal).

The Dog House, on 28 May 2014 - 4:08 PM, said:snapback.png

Nice first post.........not.

Hi The Dog House

You weren't the one who was disturbed by the noise and the selfish behaviour of a crew who had no thought for anyone, but themselves.

We were also moored for 20 minutes for a weed hatch trip, it was still light so I believe your hissy fit is misplaced.

We entered the basin at 8.35. Edited to add fact.

Hi Matty,

If you were in the basin at 8:35 then you couldn't have been Albion (as Junior says he was at the top lock at 8:55 and then proceeded to Ocker Hill). My comments were aimed at a boat that was in the basin at about 10pm. What boat were you on?

We were also moored for 20 minutes for a weed hatch trip, it was still light so I believe your hissy fit is misplaced.

We entered the basin at 8.35. Edited to add fact.

I think there is a typo on times in Junior's post. You posted about our cracking turn at 9:05pm BST so I reckon you left the basin just before 9pm. As we both had to wait at the top for the Fire Brigade to finish pulling headless [1] dummies out you probably hit top lock at 7:55pm not 8:55pm. Leaving the basin at around 9pm would also tally with getting to Ocker Hill at 11pm, that has to be a two hour journey (cursing now that I did not "photocopy" our score sheets)

[1] Exactly what did you have in your weedhatch?

Especially as it wasn't Team Albion, yes we went in to the basin dropping our crew member off as we entered the basin who knew where the pub was and went directly there whilst Junior winded as far away from the moored boats as he could. We were going to rope round as we had a blade full at the time. So perhaps you would care ti check your facts before posting such remarks in the future.

Hi Rob,

Are you saying Albion was in the basin at about 10pm? If so then, as I was on Notos, I know for a fact that the boat in the basin at 10pm hit the jetty, I was moored at. A member of the crew ran down the jetty and back up it and that it took several attempts for the boat to wind in what must be one of the largest winding places on the system. I agree with you the winding was not near our boat, but I didn't say it was in my original post.

Hi Rob,

Are you saying Albion was in the basin at about 10pm? If so then, as I was on Notos, I know for a fact that the boat in the basin at 10pm hit the jetty, I was moored at. A member of the crew ran down the jetty and back up it and that it took several attempts for the boat to wind in what must be one of the largest winding places on the system. I agree with you the winding was not near our boat, but I didn't say it was in my original post.

Shock horror boater gets disturbed in Walsall while taking part in a fun weekend get a life
  • Greenie 2

We moored at Titford pools and were knackered. We were passed at 1am, 3am and 3:30am by boats on the move. Non-issue though, its the BCN challenge, its an exceptional day. If we were passed at 1am in "normal" times then yes it would invite comment/opinion on its appropriateness.

Shock horror boater gets disturbed in Walsall while taking part in a fun weekend get a life

The people in the flats, next to the basin, were not taking part, so why is it acceptable to disturb them?

Part of the rules say that "Participants should be courteous to other canal users..." what is courteous about revving your engine at 10pm at night? I bet you would soon complain if I drove to your place and starting revving my car engine outside at 10pm.

Hi The Dog House

You weren't the one who was disturbed by the noise and the selfish behaviour of a crew who had no thought for anyone, but themselves.

No, so what?

10pm is hardly late now is it? Why try and sully a thus far very pleasant and informative thread with a little whine, particularly when it seems you haven't even got your facts right.

Edited by The Dog House

We winded in Walsall Basin at about 12:15AM, there was one boat in the basin on a pontoon I believe. What is wrong with boats using the canal, its what it is there for, goodness knows the Walsall needs them.

I think there is a typo on times in Junior's post. You posted about our cracking turn at 9:05pm BST so I reckon you left the basin just before 9pm. As we both had to wait at the top for the Fire Brigade to finish pulling headless [1] dummies out you probably hit top lock at 7:55pm not 8:55pm. Leaving the basin at around 9pm would also tally with getting to Ocker Hill at 11pm, that has to be a two hour journey (cursing now that I did not "photocopy" our score sheets)

[1] Exactly what did you have in your weedhatch?

I think there is a typing error on the name of BrumSaint's boat, the K has been missed off the front and the T should be a B.

Albion left the basin at 2100hrs.

I'm also of the opinion that a bit of noise at 10 pm, once a year, is not a big deal. Wasn't there a recent thread saying that Walsall Basin can be fairly noisy in the evening anyway?

This photo was taken at 8:39 - Albion entering Walsall Basin. I was of the opinion that Team Albion worked hard, but acted in a gentlemanly fashion whenever we saw them.

CIMG4215_zps30fdf875.jpg?79

• Greenie 2

Apart from a mis-directed whinge there is a bigger question to answer. What did Albion have down their weed hatch one hour before 10pm and why are they not telling us?

Just a load of general rubbish on that occasion if I remember correctly.

The half a pushchair was later!

Brumsaint, when airing ones frustrations in writing on a forum such as this, the person reading the post interprets the tone of the writers voice, I'm advising you of this as from your posts you are coming across extremely rude, which I am truly hoping that you are not intentionally doing. However if it is your aim then I'm completely perplexed as to why you would be so rude to some of the most friendly and helpful people on the canal.

Also if it is the case that you are just being rude then god help me if I ever come across you on the cut after my first experience of taking full control of my dad's boat on Monday and zigzagging for a couple of miles with the multiple apologys to my dad for the several new scratches I added to his boat. And that was in broad daylight going strait ahead! :)

• Greenie 1

Shock horror, boater IN Walsall basin.

Funniest comment so far, but also the saddest. Part of the reason for the challenge is to make sure underused parts of the system are visited. However it is no good just passing through and thinking I've done my bit. If we don't want to lose mooring places like Walsall basin then we have to make sure they are used as well. We were the only boat that moored overnight in the basin. Given the number of real ale pubs in Walsall (The Black Country Arms - with more than a dozen hand pumps - alone is worth a visit) I'm surprised that some of the beer drinkers on this forum didn't plan their challenge so that it included an overnight in Walsall - more interested in clocking up points I suppose.

Funniest comment so far, but also the saddest. Part of the reason for the challenge is to make sure underused parts of the system are visited. However it is no good just passing through and thinking I've done my bit. If we don't want to lose mooring places like Walsall basin then we have to make sure they are used as well. We were the only boat that moored overnight in the basin. Given the number of real ale pubs in Walsall (The Black Country Arms - with more than a dozen hand pumps - alone is worth a visit) I'm surprised that some of the beer drinkers on this forum didn't plan their challenge so that it included an overnight in Walsall - more interested in clocking up points I suppose.

Crawl back under your bridge........

The Black Country Arms is awesome

As the forum only covers just over half the field (a bit more now you have joined ) there's a good selection of non forum boats who could have been in the basin at 10:00

Richard

Crawl back under your bridge........

Here we go again. I think we need to find some kind of protocol we can use, something about number of posts before a forum regular can accuse a newbie of being a troll. It's getting very tiresome

Richard

Most people on the challenge don't aim for pubs to stop, if you are aiming for points then the stop hours are usually spent asleep.

We've done this event 5 times now, and this year was the first time we've visited a pub, then only for 1/2 hour, just to show those that hadn't been there before the Manor Arms, which is a little unusual in it's layout.

We moored in the basin after the challenge the first 3 times because that was where it finished, Ok but not that inviting or welcoming.

We also visit various parts of the system now and again, so I think we do our bit for the BCN, but I'm not that keen on Walsall basin, and in the past the natives have not been that friendly. (thought no real problems).

Sue

We moored at Titford pools and were knackered. We were passed at 1am, 3am and 3:30am by boats on the move. Non-issue though, its the BCN challenge, its an exceptional day. If we were passed at 1am in "normal" times then yes it would invite comment/opinion on its appropriateness.

Hi Paul,

I'm not complaining about boats that came into the basin in general, several did and not one had to rev their engines or caused a disturbance and I've just read about a boat that came in at mid-night (they must have paddled in because we didn't hear them). My complaint is about the uncaring attitude of the boat that came in at 10pm and the disturbance this caused for some local residents.

Here we go again. I think we need to find some kind of protocol we can use, something about number of posts before a forum regular can accuse a newbie of being a troll. It's getting very tiresome

Richard

If it looks like one, it sounds and smells like one?

Hi Paul,

I'm not complaining about boats that came into the basin in general, several did and not one had to rev their engines or caused a disturbance and I've just read about a boat that came in at mid-night (they must have paddled in because we didn't hear them). My complaint is about the uncaring attitude of the boat that came in at 10pm and the disturbance this caused for some local residents.

But it seems you have falsely accused another forum member because the timings do not tally.

I was of the opinion that Team Albion worked hard, but acted in a gentlemanly fashion whenever we saw them

Thank you, we did our best to be respectful to other boaters, maybe Nick was an exception. We even apologised to the Alvechurch boat that we mistook for Tawny Owl somewhere around 4:30 Sunday morning as we gave them a toot on the horn.

Just got home and checked the log, we entered Walsall Town Arm at 20:35 and exited at 21:00. I knew I kept a copy of all our section times for a good reason.

Hi Rob,

It was because of Junior's original post that said you were at the top of Walsall locks at 9:55 that caused me to think you were the boat in the basin at 10pm. I've already offered an apology for linking Albion to the 10pm incident earlier in the thread. I'm happy now that you've cleared up the time you were actually in the basin to repeat that apology and make it clear that Albion did NOT act in an inappropriate way.

Added NOT as an edit.

Edited by BrumSaint