Wind power

Smudge

Featured Posts

We were thinking of buying some solar panels to help with the power over winter but decided to go for wind generator instead, my thinking is that. We need more power in winter when the days are shorter so not so mutch daylight. And in the summer i can take it off completly when cruising. Does this sound sensible and what size generator would i need? We are not intending to run anything perminatly off it it would just be to help with charging the leisure bank

We were thinking of buying some solar panels to help with the power over winter but decided to go for wind generator instead, my thinking is that. We need more power in winter when the days are shorter so not so mutch daylight. And in the summer i can take it off completly when cruising. Does this sound sensible and what size generator would i need? We are not intending to run anything perminatly off it it would just be to help with charging the leisure bank

As large as possible. A wind generator at ground level only gets about 50% of the wind so that a 200 foot tower is a good purchase.

As large as possible. A wind generator at ground level only gets about 50% of the wind so that a 200 foot tower is a good purchase.

I looked at this a couple of years back and was told to remember that when the wind is blowing and the vanes are rotating a lot of shudder will come down the strut and through the boat, which you may not notice (or find exhilirating) in a yacht in the channel in a force thingummy wind but which might get a bit fractious in a narrow boat tied up to the bank.

I looked at this a couple of years back and was told to remember that when the wind is blowing and the vanes are rotating a lot of shudder will come down the strut and through the boat, which you may not notice (or find exhilirating) in a yacht in the channel in a force thingummy wind but which might get a bit fractious in a narrow boat tied up to the bank.

Like all rotating structures the vanes will require balencing to a fine degree. failure to do this will result in bad vibrations throughout the whole structure. Worse situation is if there is vibration that has a resonant frequency with part of the structure and it all starts off.

I have seen plenty of boats with wind turbines used a trickle chargers. They don't go under bridges well!!

I lived on a borrowed boat for a couple of years, and that had a wind turbine. It was brilliant. In strong winds there was a fair bit of vibration, but I always found it rather reasurring. I didn't leave it up in exceptionally strong winds.

It kept the batteries charged brilliantly and worked better than any of the other windmills I saw/heard about. This one was a Rutland 915 and mounted on a scafolding pole that folded down onto the roof of the boat. The Rutland was screwed onto the top of the pole, and a wire ran down the pole into the boat. The wire needs to be long enough to be able to take the Rutland off for those very low bridges people talk about. I only had trouble with one bridge on the Oxford just near Kidlington, and I don't think there were difficulties on the GrandUnion.

I am looking into solar panels myself, but only because I want to try something different.

edit: maybe it was a 913 having read daniels post!

Edited by Bones

The most common "workhorse" windgenerator on the canals is the Rutland 913 made my Marlec (LINK)

- Have a look at there website, and search the forum for other threads on simular topics.

- As for the vibration issue, i have no personal experence with them, however, i would be supprised if it was too great of an issue

- However i would proberbly advise not mounting it directly above your sleeping area, and consdering rubber mount should there be an issue

[EDIT]

- Heres a few links to get you going...

Wind Generator

Windchargers?

Wind turbines, Which one?

Solar & Windpower

Solar or windpower

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

Thanks all will way up the pros and cons and go from there. I dont think that vibration will be a problem and if it is i would move it from the boat to the pontoon, as its just for winter months cos when we are cruising we end up with to much power and have to swith lights on to get the vol;tage down enough to switch the inverter on

There is an interesting article on the Piper Boat Owners Club web site on battery charging alternatives. It gives an awareness of the various forms of battery charging options that are available to boaters and to compare the relative costs of installation, maintenance, running and the flexibility (portability) of each option. See Piper Boat Owners Club

Ian

DB Elessina