#41 mrsmelly

mrsmelly

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,139 posts
  • Boat Name:Kishti

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

The one month moorig fee is the eqivalent of £1600 per annum which relates to an online annual mooring. However since you could have 14 days anyway you would be paying this for about 16 days which is over £3000 per annum equivalent.Doing a similar calculation the three month permit is about £1500 per annum and the five onth permit is about £1060 per annum. Since I wouldn't want a five month permit and probably not even three this is rather expensive.

Hi

Do you think ccers should get cheaper moorings when they decide to not cc? If you go on a winter mooring then you are certainly not ccing for that time period. My mooring for instance costs me 3k exactly per year which is part of my boating costs I willingly pay because boating is not cheap.

There will be winter moorings this year as other years going back for donkeys years so there will be no problem. In fairness to all types of boaters winter moorings should be the same price per rota that the average mooring fee in that area is surely? I have had some good winter moorings bw type on a few occasions over the years.

Tim

REALITY IS AN ILLUSION CAUSED BY LACK OF ALCOHOL.
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CC ON ONE CANAL.

#42 cotswoldsman

cotswoldsman

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts
  • Boat Name:Gemma Joy

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hi

Do you think ccers should get cheaper moorings when they decide to not cc? If you go on a winter mooring then you are certainly not ccing for that time period. My mooring for instance costs me 3k exactly per year which is part of my boating costs I willingly pay because boating is not cheap.

There will be winter moorings this year as other years going back for donkeys years so there will be no problem. In fairness to all types of boaters winter moorings should be the same price per rota that the average mooring fee in that area is surely? I have had some good winter moorings bw type on a few occasions over the years.

Tim

I think the Winter Mooring proposal is good and the price about right remember all you are paying for is a strip of muddy towpath for what it is worth I suggested £75 but hey I was being a bit hopeful 

John

Gemma Joy

Visit My Website

#43 GlenBlk

GlenBlk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

Can anyone clarify what happens if I stopped got iced in while CC'ing please?

Do I have to pay more money?

Please understand I am new.

#44 cotswoldsman

cotswoldsman

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

No you do not

John

Gemma Joy

Visit My Website

#45 GlenBlk

GlenBlk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

No you do not

Thanks for the reply.

I know it may sound like a daft question but how long can you be iced in for?

If your boat is fiberglass is it advisable to move on when there is thick ice about as another passing steel boat pushing ice in your direction is going to be a bit worry-some.

Please understand I'm not splitting hairs if I can move on I would move on but just wish to understand the accepted practices.

Thanks.

#46 mrsmelly

mrsmelly

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

No you do not and nor should you. you would be a bone fide ccer who has simply been stuck by the weather. There has never been a problem with this and its happened to myself on more than one occasion. However when thawed you are quite rightly expected to move on.

Tim

#47 FadeToScarlet

FadeToScarlet

Long Standing Member

• Site Crew
  • 3,375 posts
  • Boat Name:'Severner' Willow

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I know it may sound like a daft question but how long can you be iced in for?
If your boat is fiberglass is it advisable to move on when there is thick ice about as another passing steel boat pushing ice in your direction is going to be a bit worry-some.
Please understand I'm not splitting hairs if I can move on I would move on but just wish to understand the accepted practices.
Thanks.

One thing you can do is to put down ice boards- hang some thick planks horizontally at waterline level, to reduce the worry.

#48 NigelMoore

NigelMoore

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

No you do not and nor should you. you would be a bone fide ccer who has simply been stuck by the weather. There has never been a problem with this and its happened to myself on more than one occasion. However when thawed you are quite rightly expected to move on.

Tim

This is correct, except for the bit about it never having been a problem [if that is referring to problem-with-the-authority].

I rather suspect that one of the more excitable contributors on another topic is understandably upset because he was the one I’ve heard of who was s.8’d while frozen in for 3 months somewhere a few years ago.

There may, of course, have been other unknown factors at work behind the decision to take that action on such absurd grounds; a decision in that case is still awaited I believe.

#49 GlenBlk

GlenBlk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

One thing you can do is to put down ice boards- hang some thick planks horizontally at waterline level, to reduce the worry.

Thank you that sounds like a good idea.

#50 andy the hammer

andy the hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Boat Name:The Maisibert

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hi

Tim

May I ask what facilities you get for your £3000 and was it purchased at an auction?

#51 BlueStringPudding

BlueStringPudding

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts
  • Boat Name:Mabel Stark

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

No you do not

That is not what BW said in writing at Tring summit a couple of winters ago when boats were iced in and blocked by the stoppage. They demanded winter mooring fees. One of the several boats stuck there got scared and paid. None of the others did. I hope CaRT don't make those sort of balls ups again. But as the majority of the staff are the same, what chance do we have of improved service or communications?
I for one think the new winter mooring proposal is a vast improvement on what's gone before. But having tried to get a reply out of them three times in recent weeks about winter mooring options and not had so much as a courtesy holding response I'm anticipating another almighty CaRT admin cock up. :(
"Just seen a BW working boat come to a standstill with a fouled prop - The crew claimed it may take 2-3 hrs to clear !!!! so bowhauled the boat on the old blue string pudding." - benfordboy

"Am I in the distance yet?" - Bod

#52 valrene9600

valrene9600

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Boat Name:VALERIE

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

That is not what BW said in writing at Tring summit a couple of winters ago when boats were iced in and blocked by the stoppage. They demanded winter mooring fees. One of the several boats stuck there got scared and paid. None of the others did. I hope CaRT don't make those sort of balls ups again. But as the majority of the staff are the same, what chance do we have of improved service or communications?
I for one think the new winter mooring proposal is a vast improvement on what's gone before. But having tried to get a reply out of them three times in recent weeks about winter mooring options and not had so much as a courtesy holding response I'm anticipating another almighty CaRT admin cock up. sad.png

If they demand fees just politely ask them to remove the obstructing ice and you will move along.

Never in 7yrs C/cruising have had a problem with being iced in. Problems like BW CaRT is what I mean.

Best to slowly move along in winter and not pay. It`s gonna be cold either way so why pay to be cold in a particular place.

Just my opinion, each to their own.

Edited by valrene9600, 01 September 2013 - 02:13 PM.

BOATS & CRUISING My link

#53 mrsmelly

mrsmelly

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

May I ask what facilities you get for your £3000 and was it purchased at an auction?

Hi

Was not at auction its a private boatyard. I moved from a bw mooring to here, bw was considerably cheaper with more facilities. We have leccy hook up here and one tap four long hose pipes away and loads of parking. I could pay less and get more but for me it has two huge attractions

1/ Its NOT in a Marina

2/ Fab location

Tim

#54 cotswoldsman

cotswoldsman

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

I for one think the new winter mooring proposal is a vast improvement on what's gone before. But having tried to get a reply out of them three times in recent weeks about winter mooring options and not had so much as a courtesy holding response I'm anticipating another almighty CaRT admin cock up. sad.png

I think what you will find is that CRT do not accept a Planned Stoppage as an excuse for not moving, otherwise everyone would just get the Stoppage list and head for the nearest Stoppage, I personally do not have a problem with this.

John

Gemma Joy

Visit My Website

#55 andy the hammer

andy the hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

A bit cheeky with this comment
(exploiting a clause in the 1995 Waterways Act) 

Have you noticed they have taken this comment off the website.

#56 Julynian

Julynian

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts
  • Boat Name:Julynian

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

I remember paying for a winter mooring in Bath back in 2007. Can't remember the exact cost now but it wasn't cheap. Turned out I spent all this money on the mooring, and just 6 boat lengths further up the canal boats paid nothing and staid there all winter like we did LOL 

I'll not be making that same mistake again LOL

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.

My Blog. http://www.canalworl...=1

#57 Mary P

Mary P

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Boat Name:Puddleduck

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

I have sent them an email asking about the getting iced in 'problem'. I have had a courtesy email back already saying they are consulting Sally Ash, and will get back to me. I'll let you all know what she says!

Mary P

Please help me raise £3000 for CANCER RESEARCH UK
Thanks!

http://www.justgiving.com/Mary-Panton

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE AND SPREAD THE WORD!!!

#58 Bunny

Bunny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Boat Name:Greyfisher

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

We take an online private winter mooring with electric but gangplank length from the bank . Its really handy as my husband's winter work is only 15mins away by car, but there will be houses built beside the mooring sometime within the next few years and our mooring will disappear ( havn't checked this year yet to see if it is still there ) so we will be back to a CRT winter mooring  ( if he still want's to work ) or cruise if he finally wants to retire ..... again . Bunny. 

#59 andy the hammer

andy the hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

We take an online private winter mooring with electric but gangplank length from the bank . Its really handy as my husband's winter work is only 15mins away by car, but there will be houses built beside the mooring sometime within the next few years and our mooring will disappear ( havn't checked this year yet to see if it is still there ) so we will be back to a CRT winter mooring  ( if he still want's to work ) or cruise if he finally wants to retire ..... again . Bunny. 

I have been in touch with C.A.R.T today and I am sure there will be boaters who will not get the winter moorings they expect unless they make a case for them to be dedicated winter moorings.

#60 Ange

Ange

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts
  • Boat Name:Iona

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hi

Tim

Not like for like Tim - we've never paid for winter moorings because to pay the same for a stretch of muddy towpath with no leccy, no water, no car parking and no security as someone nearby pays for all of the above is simply absurd.  It's not that ccers think they're entitled to cheaper moorings, they simply expect the amount they pay to reflect the value of the mooring.

"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply." Stephen R Covey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users