Basingstoke Canal----do they want us?

Ratty's Retreat

Featured Posts

Update on the land slip at Dogmersfield - the canal is now fully open.

Please see the notice below sent on behalf of Fiona Shipp, Canal Manager;

We are pleased to announce that we have now re-opened the navigation at Dogmersfield where we had the landslip.

The Ranger team has worked hard on this area to remove large volumes of trees from the slip area. The rest will now be kindly removed by the Canal Society. Monitoring of movement has also been carried out daily and we now feel there is no significant movement of the slip.

The landslip has considerably narrowed the navigation width and we have put some obvious restrictions on going through this area.

Signage is in place on site, however please abide by the following;

Only one boat to pass through at a time, a give way system is in operation. Please follow the signage guidance.(this includes giving way to unpowered boats)

Go through this area on tick over only. This is to ensure no wash is created and that you can negotiate the narrow passage safely

A fence has been put into place to stop boats impacting the toe of the slip (the raised ridge in the canal)

Please do not stop, moor or disembark in the landslip area or within 200m of this area.

We will continue to monitor the landslip. If anyone notices any problems or significant changes please contact the duty ranger.

Please be advised that the towpath remains closed and this is likely to be the case for some time. The path has been fenced off and we appreciate your co-operation in not entering this area for your own safety.

I'll be monitoring it as I pass through this evening!!

If you get stuck, I'm right behind you!rolleyes.gif

I did hear word that that the unrented hire boats from the boat yard are moored in the winding hole, but that is only what I erd!wacko.png

But I'm just at the end of the Farnborough runway for tonight, so probably will have a look see tomorrow!

It would of been nice to be told by the Basingstoke office, but having been here a week, I know the communications are a tad on the light side!

And for anyone who is interested, I did manage to get under the Wharf Road Bridge with about 1/2" to spare, and my cratch is 6 ft 21/2" of the water level!

Nipper

Edited, cus I needed a beer! blush.png

Edited by nipper

If you get stuck, I'm right behind you!rolleyes.gif

I did hear word that that the unrented hire boats from the boat yard are moored in the winding hole, but that is only what I erd!wacko.png

But I'm just at the end of the Farnborough runway for tonight, so probably will have a look see tomorrow!

It would of been nice to be told by the Basingstoke office, but having been here a week, I know the communications are a tad on the light side!

And for anyone who is interested, I did manage to get under the Wharf Road Bridge with about 1/2" to spare, and my cratch is 6 ft 21/2" of the water level!

Nipper

Edited, cus I needed a beer! blush.png

The hire boats are in the boatyard the winding holes at Odiham wharf and at the Castle are both boatless. cheers Graham

The hire boats are in the boatyard the winding holes at Odiham wharf and at the Castle are both boatless. cheers Graham

Great! Thanks for the info!

Now all I have to do is to get under the other two bridges with or without the cratch!

I'll pass on the info to other boats currently moored at Mytchet!

I feel a mini banter coming on!

Nipper

I cycled the towpath from Fleet to Chequers and back last night. I wouldn't recommend it without gloves and sleeves! In places the nettles, brambles, and thistles are shoulder high and in a lot of places less than handlebar wide. You certainly couldn't walk side by side for a lot of the route. That said, the fishing spots have been nicely trimmed and maintained so that's ok then. Lots of dog crap around.

My bruv predicted the demise of the Basy years ago having been involved in its renovation and worked trip boats on it. Unfortunately it looks like he was right.

If boaters are being put off by these limitations the funding will never be there. It's a vicious circle. I suspect health and safety will eventually kill it off.

It's a shame really, council developers could really build around it and make the most of it. I doubt CRT will want to take it on.

My bruv predicted the demise of the Basy years ago having been involved in its renovation and worked trip boats on it. Unfortunately it looks like he was right.

If boaters are being put off by these limitations the funding will never be there. It's a vicious circle. I suspect health and safety will eventually kill it off.

It's a shame really, council developers could really build around it and make the most of it. I doubt CRT will want to take it on.

I think you have to bear in mind that the canal has suffered from chronic lack of investment since the reopening in 1991 despite the best efforts of all interested parties. A huge sum if money has been invested very recently (£1.7m) with a further £4m (£2m from each county owner) over the next over the next couple of years - some of which has to be spent on the area around Mytchett under the requirements of the Reservoirs Act. The challenge is the political will of the counties; we have good people in place at the moment but who knows what changes and pressures will be exerted in future years. CRT - well it has been discussed and you would achieve an economy of scale with CRT but you have to remember that between the Basingstoke and CRT waters we have the Wey (National Trust) and the Thames (Environment Agency) and if going downstream there's the Port of London Authority as well. Of course EA may (very big may) become part of CRT soon but there seems to be a lot of negotiating to do before that happens and would the National Trust ever relinquish their ownership of the Wey? Never say never!

There's no point in sitting back land wringing hands. The way forward, in my view, is to work with the Canal Authority, tell them where they need to get things better (they are receptive to that kind of feedback) and push for better and better opening hours.

Perhaps the other aspect to remember is that if it hadn't been for the foresight of people like Jim Woolgar (who convened the original restoration meeting in Brookwood in 1966) and the hard work of so many people there would be no Basingstoke to discuss. We have it and I think we should all do what we can to keep it in the public eye (as we did with the Easter 2013 cruise) and push for more boating (it was built as a navigation) and extend opening hours and more days.

All I can say is well done the Basingstoke Canal team!

I'm moored here at the top by the Odiham Castle, having just turned in the winding hole, and have had a lovely days cruising from Farnborough Air Field right up to the very top.

The sun has been shining, the birds have been singing, the lovely trees of every variety showing all their colours in the sunlight!

The one gripe of the day was the swing bridge at Zebon Copse, it was so hard to start it swinging that took three walkers pushing hard to make it move!

As for the land slip? well, having just passed it, one can understand why it has taken so long to make the canal passable there.

Now for a beer!

Nipper

Zebon Common Swing Bridge is a nightmare but IIRC the maintenance is with the local council (hence the default position is closed for boating) and not the BCA but do ring the BCA and tell them how difficult it is and hopefully they can bring pressure to bear.

Zebon Common Swing Bridge is a nightmare but IIRC the maintenance is with the local council (hence the default position is closed for boating) and not the BCA but do ring the BCA and tell them how difficult it is and hopefully they can bring pressure to bear.

Yes, told them today when I phoned to get the word from the top about the landslip, I didn't want to go past Blacksmiths Bridge with a 70 footer, without some official say so. they also told me that they tried to call me yesterday about the opening up of the land slip, so please take what I said yesterday as nonsense!

It seems to me that the only real problem there is, apart from the entry timings, is the different interpretation of the rules between the office and the Rangers.

The Rangers want all boats entering the canal to do so in a bunch, first thing in the morning, where the office and the information pack state the opening times between say, for instance the Brookwood flight, 9am and 2pm.

Surely, what ever time a pair of boats use a flight, they will only use the same amount of water, whatever the time.

What I find odd is the rule to empty locks after use. if all the locks where to be left full on the upward leg, then there would be access to 29 lockfulls of water when needed.and keep the softwood timber planking wet for longer and not let it dry out and shrink as it seems to have a tendency to do!

But, apart from the bottom being far to close to the top in some parts, I am having an enjoyable time!

Nipper

Edited to make a bit more sense!

Edited by nipper

It seems to me that the only real problem there is, apart from the entry timings, is the different interpretation of the rules between the office and the Rangers.

The Rangers want all boats entering the canal to do so in a bunch, first thing in the morning, where the office and the information pack state the opening times between say, for instance the Brookwood flight, 9am and 2pm.

Surely, what ever time a pair of boats use a flight, they will only use the same amount of water, whatever the time.

What I find odd is the rule to empty locks after use. if all the locks where to be left full on the upward leg, then there would be access to 29 lockfulls of water when needed.and keep the softwood timber planking wet for longer and not let it dry out and shrink as it seems to have a tendency to do!

I think the problem is that the leakage through the bottom gates at some of the locks is quite bad and water shortages are a major problem. That is why the rangers caulk up the top gates after all boats have gone through. So if boats go through over a shorter period of time less water is lost through leakage. And that is also the reason why the locks are left empty.

All I can say is well done the Basingstoke Canal team!

I'm moored here at the top by the Odiham Castle, having just turned in the winding hole, and have had a lovely days cruising from Farnborough Air Field right up to the very top.

The sun has been shining, the birds have been singing, the lovely trees of every variety showing all their colours in the sunlight!

The one gripe of the day was the swing bridge at Zebon Copse, it was so hard to start it swinging that took three walkers pushing hard to make it move!

As for the land slip? well, having just passed it, one can understand why it has taken so long to make the canal passable there.

Now for a beer!

Nipper

Just missed you. Took John Pinkerton II from Odiham to Winchfield and back last night. Was good to see NB Perseverance tied up at the Barley Mow.

• 2 weeks later...

Members of the Basingstoke Canal Society had been watching this blog with some dismay. It is very discouraging to all those associated with the canal to see it being bad-mouthed by some writers in this blog, particularly when a lot of effort has been made and money expended to return it to navigation after a long period of closure. Clearly the canal will thrive again if boaters visit it, but they won’t be encouraged to if there is a concerted campaign to denigrate it, and it is particularly unfortunate if criticism is made without recent first-hand experience. Since working on this response, thankfully there now have been more upbeat responses from boaters who have seen for themselves how attractive a waterway the canal is.

There has never been a stronger commitment by the owners, Hampshire and Surrey County Councils, to the future of the Basingstoke Canal. £1.7m has been invested in infrastructure repairs over the last couple of years, and each has pledged a further £2m over the current and next 3 years. There also been a change of canal management which the Society believe is very positive and with whom a good working relationship has been established.

In addition, the Canal Society has demonstrated its commitment by investing in a new passenger trip boat which has cost over £160K. The Society and other work parties have been very active over many years undertaking improvement and maintenance works.

It is therefore just not true to say the canal is being neglected.

However what perhaps has not been made clear is why the canal is being managed the way it is, that is, to restrict access to a limited number of days a week, and I will try to explain that here.

The root of the problem is simply that of water supply. Since it does not have a summit reservoir or connected river, there has always been a water shortage on the Basingstoke, and a comparison with other local waterways bears this out:

The combined Wey and Wey Navigation flow rate at Weybridge ranges from 300 to 1400 million litres/day;
The flow rate for the Kennet, which supplies the K&A near Reading, ranges from 350 to over 2000 Ml/day

However on the Basingstoke all the inflows along its entire length, including that from backpumping, average just 11 Ml/day.

You may see lock gates leaking a lot of water on these other canals, but to a large extent it does not matter because they are fed by substantial supplies. However on the Basingstoke we cannot have that luxury: unless lock gates are caulked up immediately after use to minimise water loss, those short pounds for example at Deepcut and at the Woking end, may not only empty quickly but could in dry weather also take a while to refill, during which time the canal would have to be closed.

So, caulking up the upper lock gates on the Basingstoke will therefore be a fact of life for the foreseeable future.

Caulking gates and keeping the canal in operation is the responsibility of the Basingstoke Canal Authority rangers and lock-keepers. However there are not many of them and with their other duties they cannot be on hand to caulk up on every day of the week.

The scheme to restrict locking on the Basingstoke Canal to 4 days a week (and let it be said, it is a trial scheme for the 2013 season) has been implemented for the following reasons:
- To give the opportunity for rangers to get on with other tasks
- To allow water levels to recover during the intervening days
- To minimise or at least defer periods of closure over dry Summer months.

No, it is not ideal. Yes, trips on the canal and use of locks will have to be planned. Yes, it is recognised that seasoned boaters prefer not to be accompanied up the lock flights, but the BCA is just doing its job. Everybody would prefer unfettered access 7 days a week, but that just cannot be achieved, unless a major new source of water is found (which is unlikely, though efforts are being made). The BCA are managing the situation as best they can with the resources and the water supply they have available. We ask that you understand this, and work with the BCA to organise your trips. If at all possible, lock in pairs.

When the Deepcut flight was eventually reopened at Easter, a celebratory rally of 20 or more boats visited the canal, organised by the owner of Leo No. 2. Apart from the inevitable gripes resulting from locks having not been used in nearly 5 years, the general feeling of the boaters was resoundingly positive. A steady flow of boats has visited since, and we would like to encourage more boaters to come along and enjoy the canal, since the “use it or lose it” argument very much applies to the Basingstoke. As the visiting boat numbers increase then it may be possible to introduce more flexibility into the days the canal is opened, water supply permitting.

If boat owners really care about the canal the best way that they can express their support is to work with the Canal Authority and with us to make it more accessible and usable by visiting boats, and to cease the carping.

Martin Leech
Vice-chairman, Basingstoke Canal Society

• Greenie 1

This is just a thought but... if the first flight of locks was freely available as on the more mainstream canals, that could generate a regular flow of traffic to Woking, where there are some nice town centre moorings there and a terrific gallery (The Lightbox). Once Woking is 'back on the navigation map' then in time access further up can be developed. A sort of small-steps-first approach. It might not work but I thought it better to make some suggestion.

I was on the Easter Cruise and it was excellent! I have also done the canoe race from Odiham to Mytchett, it is a great canal.

Members of the Basingstoke Canal Society had been watching this blog with some dismay. It is very discouraging to all those associated with the canal to see it being bad-mouthed by some writers in this blog, particularly when a lot of effort has been made and money expended to return it to navigation after a long period of closure. Clearly the canal will thrive again if boaters visit it, but they won’t be encouraged to if there is a concerted campaign to denigrate it, and it is particularly unfortunate if criticism is made without recent first-hand experience. Since working on this response, thankfully there now have been more upbeat responses from boaters who have seen for themselves how attractive a waterway the canal is.

There has never been a stronger commitment by the owners, Hampshire and Surrey County Councils, to the future of the Basingstoke Canal. £1.7m has been invested in infrastructure repairs over the last couple of years, and each has pledged a further £2m over the current and next 3 years. There also been a change of canal management which the Society believe is very positive and with whom a good working relationship has been established.

In addition, the Canal Society has demonstrated its commitment by investing in a new passenger trip boat which has cost over £160K. The Society and other work parties have been very active over many years undertaking improvement and maintenance works.

It is therefore just not true to say the canal is being neglected.

However what perhaps has not been made clear is why the canal is being managed the way it is, that is, to restrict access to a limited number of days a week, and I will try to explain that here.

The root of the problem is simply that of water supply. Since it does not have a summit reservoir or connected river, there has always been a water shortage on the Basingstoke, and a comparison with other local waterways bears this out:

The combined Wey and Wey Navigation flow rate at Weybridge ranges from 300 to 1400 million litres/day;

The flow rate for the Kennet, which supplies the K&A near Reading, ranges from 350 to over 2000 Ml/day

However on the Basingstoke all the inflows along its entire length, including that from backpumping, average just 11 Ml/day.

You may see lock gates leaking a lot of water on these other canals, but to a large extent it does not matter because they are fed by substantial supplies. However on the Basingstoke we cannot have that luxury: unless lock gates are caulked up immediately after use to minimise water loss, those short pounds for example at Deepcut and at the Woking end, may not only empty quickly but could in dry weather also take a while to refill, during which time the canal would have to be closed.

So, caulking up the upper lock gates on the Basingstoke will therefore be a fact of life for the foreseeable future.

Caulking gates and keeping the canal in operation is the responsibility of the Basingstoke Canal Authority rangers and lock-keepers. However there are not many of them and with their other duties they cannot be on hand to caulk up on every day of the week.

The scheme to restrict locking on the Basingstoke Canal to 4 days a week (and let it be said, it is a trial scheme for the 2013 season) has been implemented for the following reasons:

- To give the opportunity for rangers to get on with other tasks

- To allow water levels to recover during the intervening days

- To minimise or at least defer periods of closure over dry Summer months.

No, it is not ideal. Yes, trips on the canal and use of locks will have to be planned. Yes, it is recognised that seasoned boaters prefer not to be accompanied up the lock flights, but the BCA is just doing its job. Everybody would prefer unfettered access 7 days a week, but that just cannot be achieved, unless a major new source of water is found (which is unlikely, though efforts are being made). The BCA are managing the situation as best they can with the resources and the water supply they have available. We ask that you understand this, and work with the BCA to organise your trips. If at all possible, lock in pairs.

When the Deepcut flight was eventually reopened at Easter, a celebratory rally of 20 or more boats visited the canal, organised by the owner of Leo No. 2. Apart from the inevitable gripes resulting from locks having not been used in nearly 5 years, the general feeling of the boaters was resoundingly positive. A steady flow of boats has visited since, and we would like to encourage more boaters to come along and enjoy the canal, since the “use it or lose it” argument very much applies to the Basingstoke. As the visiting boat numbers increase then it may be possible to introduce more flexibility into the days the canal is opened, water supply permitting.

If boat owners really care about the canal the best way that they can express their support is to work with the Canal Authority and with us to make it more accessible and usable by visiting boats, and to cease the carping.

Martin Leech

Vice-chairman, Basingstoke Canal Society

Well said Martin, I for one am planning to visit with my boat next May.