Satellite tv kit at Aldi

keble

Featured Posts

I bought this kit about a year ago. I have found it very easy to set up with the included sat finder. The tuner has a tendency to forget the "favourite" channels which you really need to set up as it finds hundreds of channels in no apparent particular order, but you can delete all the rubbish and back up a short channel list to USB. To record you need an external USB stick or hard drive. The dish is quite small, but signal is plenty strong enough in the North West and a smaller dish makes it less prone to losing the alignment. Ross email tech support very helpful (I queries a couple of things and they phoned me next day).

I've seen some kits cheaper, but with larger dishes and less fitting options. I just use the sucker base with a bit of string to stop it blowing away if it does let go. Sticks ok for two or three days though on my (smoothly) textured roof. Just dip the base in the canal to get it wet before locking down.

I bought this kit about a year ago. I have found it very easy to set up with the included sat finder. The tuner has a tendency to forget the "favourite" channels which you really need to set up as it finds hundreds of channels in no apparent particular order, but you can delete all the rubbish and back up a short channel list to USB. To record you need an external USB stick or hard drive. The dish is quite small, but signal is plenty strong enough in the North West and a smaller dish makes it less prone to losing the alignment. Ross email tech support very helpful (I queries a couple of things and they phoned me next day).

I've seen some kits cheaper, but with larger dishes and less fitting options. I just use the sucker base with a bit of string to stop it blowing away if it does let go. Sticks ok for two or three days though on my (smoothly) textured roof. Just dip the base in the canal to get it wet before locking down.

100% agreement excellent review.

We paid £59.99 a year ago also, including delivery, for the

Ross Aura HD Satellite TV Dish and Installation Kit PLU50872

you can now buy them on e-bay for £49.99 delivered.

ALDI is pretty pricey but do offer a "3 year guarantee", I would scrutinise the small print with regard to the 3 year guarantee though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ross-Aura-HD-Satellite-TV-Dish-and-Installation-Kit-PLU50872-/370811034088?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item56560f59e8

angry.png I just bought the very same one off Ebay for £40 ....... three hours spent so far trying to find a satellite ... ANY SATELLITE.

I tried it on the boat, my techie son tried it on the boat, and we both tried it at home without success, but I am remaining calm!!!frusty.gif

The biggest problem that I have found is that the big knurled adjuster under the dish does both elevation and azimuth, i.e. you can't easily set the elevation then just swing the dish in increments to find the satellite.

Any tips from owners of this kit would be much appreciated.

angry.png I just bought the very same one off Ebay for £40 ....... three hours spent so far trying to find a satellite ... ANY SATELLITE.

I tried it on the boat, my techie son tried it on the boat, and we both tried it at home without success, but I am remaining calm!!!frusty.gif

The biggest problem that I have found is that the big knurled adjuster under the dish does both elevation and azimuth, i.e. you can't easily set the elevation then just swing the dish in increments to find the satellite.

Have you used the sat finder, alloy box with row of Red lights. This locates quickly if pointed SE

Remember the azimuth is only 29 degrees very low in the sky, if you have roof tops nearby, they will block the signal.

Edited by Julynian

..... I have the teashirt.

You make it sound very simple to set up, which suggests to me that the *loody thing is just broken.

I set the elevation at 29 degrees, the LNB to 11 & adjusted the Sat finder so that all the red lights just went off, then went hunting for a signal. The only reaction I got from the sat finder was a beep or two when I put my phone near it (I was using an app on the phone to align the azimuth).

Edited by Kwacker

It sounds like your dish is aligned, this won't get a picture until you tune the TV in though

Go to Channel Search, then Dish set up then you'll get the list of channels and the signal bar, you need to light up at least up to the end of the Pink row of lights to get a decent picture, the more Red lights the better.

We use Astra 1H press add using the OK button and a Red tick will appear

Astra 1 E press add "

Astra 2A press add "

Now press Blue button on controller a box appears (scan mode default) now press OK

A box appears, delete all existing channels, click ok again. The tv should now scan for programmes, this can take up to 15 minutes even longer sometimes.

Edited by Julynian

In Cheshire, the dish is barely vertical - if anything pointing slightly down. Remember the elevation includes the angle of the LNB. I use Nicholsons to get the approximate direction then gently swing the dish round until the satfinder goes berserk. You do have to be a bit careful with the clamp. There is another strong satellite just to the right and up a bit, I often just swing the dish to find that one and then go back to know I'm on the right one. Once the tuner is tuned in, next time you can put the TV on to ensure you've got the right sat before you need to detatch the finder.

I was surprised how easy it is to find the sat. If you have problems maybe it is faulty. One point - have you ofset the LNB rotation the right way?

ALDI is pretty pricey but do offer a "3 year guarantee", I would scrutinise the small print with regard to the 3 year guarantee though.

We bought an Aldi TV about 18 months ago that included the 3 year guarantee. About 2 months ago the tuner in the TV failed so I rang up the support line. They asked for the serial number and did we still have the original receipt. They emailed through a form and a arranged for a courier to collect the TV 2 days later along with a photocopy of the receipt. There was an email the next day to say that the courier would be dropping the TV back the next day. From reporting the fault to collection, repair and delivery was 5 working days. Very pleased with the service .

Dead easy to point dish in correct ish direction. If you go to the http://www.dishpointer.com/ website, put in your location and which satellite you want it'll show you a google earth map with your location, which way you have to point the dish and the setup requirements. There's also an iphone app.

Edited by Chalky

Dead easy to point dish in correct ish direction. If you go to the http://www.dishpointer.com/ website, put in your location and which satellite you want it'll show you a google earth map with your location, which way you have to point the dish and the setup requirements. There's also an iphone app.

Having done all that, I'm even more convinced that the LNB is toast.

Thanks for your help guys.

Edited by Kwacker

Hi,

I had this problem last year with a similar set up (got mine off ebay, about £50 incl postage).

I was unable to find a satellite, but got some help from a forum member - the dish has to be upright - no slope on it at all. I started to find Astra and once you have got the 'knack' it becomes easy.

Picture quality first class, am thinking of changing from suction pads to a mag mount - availability?.

Hope this helps, you do need an unobstructed view to the south east and I found that passing boats caused no problem.

We coupled it to an Avtec TV with a built in decoder, not probs with battery usage.

Leo.

Hi,

I had this problem last year with a similar set up (got mine off ebay, about £50 incl postage).

I was unable to find a satellite, but got some help from a forum member - the dish has to be upright - no slope on it at all. I started to find Astra and once you have got the 'knack' it becomes easy.

Picture quality first class, am thinking of changing from suction pads to a mag mount - availability?.

Hope this helps, you do need an unobstructed view to the south east and I found that passing boats caused no problem.

We coupled it to an Avtec TV with a built in decoder, not probs with battery usage.

Leo.

That sounds encouraging , Thanks ... I'll have one more go.

Edited by Kwacker

That sounds encouraging , Thanks ... I'll have one more go.

Keep trying, once you get the dish upright it's easy.................................. I set mine up at home, to get the hang of it and then took it to the boat.

As one poster wrote, you get lots of European/Asian channels and then Beeb,etc. For some reason I could not get local London news.

The difference over the old analogue ariel/TV is brill.

Hang on in there......

Leo.

Leo,

To record you need an external USB stick or hard drive

Anyone know if I can connect the decoder box to a sky dish in place of a sky box? If it records to a USB stick could I then record something at home onto the USB take that to my boat, plug the USB into the telly there and watch it or would I have to take the box too?

Anyone know if I can connect the decoder box to a sky dish in place of a sky box? If it records to a USB stick could I then record something at home onto the USB take that to my boat, plug the USB into the telly there and watch it or would I have to take the box too?

Basically yes, the dish is just a receiver but you won't get sky channels, only Freesat channels so there's little point.

We record films to the stick though at the office via the internet where we have unlimited internet, then simply plug the memory stick into the receiver back on the boat. We also used the Ross dish when we had sky and simply plugged the dish into our HD sky box, problem was it was costing £35 per month so we cancelled and just stick with the free channels.

Edited to add.

If your TV accepts a memory stick directly then it should read what's recorded on it. If not you'll need the receiver/decoder connected and plug the stick into that.

Edited by Julynian

Hi,

Leo.

Martin (Travelsat?) supplied me with a square chunk of that magnetic plastic (the brown stuff) with a smooth white plastic face. That adheres to the boat roof and the suction cup sticks to that. It worked well and I didn't need any special mag mount.

Roger

Keep trying, once you get the dish upright it's easy.................................. I set mine up at home, to get the hang of it and then took it to the boat.

As one poster wrote, you get lots of European/Asian channels and then Beeb,etc. For some reason I could not get local London news.

The difference over the old analogue ariel/TV is brill.

Hang on in there......

smile.png

Leo.

Leo,

Cheers Leo, you have given me renewed hope to try again .... best get it back out of the bin smile.png

Anybody know what the salipt s-901-600 is for?

Not sure what that is, but if it is a flat ribbon with connectors on each end it had me fooled as well. I asked Ross about it and apparently it is a "window cable" - i.e. to allow the cable to be brought in through a (not too-tightly) closed window.