• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Lindapaws

Lindapaws

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Retired Husband & Wife Boat moving Team, offer to crew your boat safely to wherever you need it to be. My husband is RYA certified to skipper all vessels on the Inland Waterways UK.. We can move your Boat solo or with You on board. If you have just purchased a boat and need it returned to your home mooring safely, we can do that for you.
We have a wealth of experience on fibre glass cruisers, narrowboats and we have lived onboard our Humber Keel Barge over the last 25 years and cruised extensively on the rivers and wide canals within the UK. We are not a business out to make a profit, just need expenses to cover our travelling costs. If you need help with cruising your boat safely, give us a call or email us at (apaws4chat@gmail.com)

#2 mrsmelly

mrsmelly

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,139 posts
  • Boat Name:Kishti

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Retired Husband & Wife Boat moving Team, offer to crew your boat safely to wherever you need it to be. My husband is RYA certified to skipper all vessels on the Inland Waterways UK.. We can move your Boat solo or with You on board. If you have just purchased a boat and need it returned to your home mooring safely, we can do that for you.
We have a wealth of experience on fibre glass cruisers, narrowboats and we have lived onboard our Humber Keel Barge over the last 25 years and cruised extensively on the rivers and wide canals within the UK. We are not a business out to make a profit, just need expenses to cover our travelling costs. If you need help with cruising your boat safely, give us a call or email us at (apaws4chat@gmail.com)

You dont moor just above the suspension bridge by any chance do you?

Tim

REALITY IS AN ILLUSION CAUSED BY LACK OF ALCOHOL.
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CC ON ONE CANAL.

#3 Lindapaws

Lindapaws

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

No sorry, we do not moor near a suspension bridge :)
Linda

You dont moor just above the suspension bridge by any chance do you?

Tim

#4 epic

epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Boat Name:dream catcher

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

Hi

Been looking at  38ft narrowboat at Nanthwich how much would it cost to bring it back to Macclesfield

thanks john

#5 Lindapaws

Lindapaws

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hi

Been looking at  38ft narrowboat at Nanthwich how much would it cost to bring it back to Macclesfield

thanks john

Hi John

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner - but we been very busy through the year moving boats.  If you are still interested in us moving your boat, the first date we have available for you will be 15th September, as we are just about to take off on another 2 week boat move.

We are a bit confused as to which Nantwich you are referring to?. ie. do you mean Nantwich in Stoke on Trent, or Nanthwich in London? you do not specify which?  So depending upon which Nantwich it is could take from 2 to 10 days.  Our email address is (apaws4chat@gmail.com) or alternatively give Don a ring on his mobile (Tel: 07973460482) and we will be happy to get straight back to you. We may not hear the phone when we are travelling, but if you leave your own phone number, we will phone you in the evening when we moor up for the night.  Kind Regards Linda & Don

#6 dor

dor

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts
  • Boat Name:Aeshna

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

There will be an awful lot of people upset by seeing Nantwich referred to as being in Stoke-on-Trent!

"I am not a
complete idiot. - Some bits of me are missing..."
I just hope I can keep boating without them.

#7 Tim Lewis

Tim Lewis

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Boat Name:Fulbourne

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

There will be an awful lot of people upset by seeing Nantwich referred to as being in Stoke-on-Trent!

or even wondering where on earth Nantwich in London is!

Tim

#8 Athy

Athy

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts
  • Boat Name:Trojan

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Isn't Nantwich Mean Time calculated from the London one?

If these worthy people think that Nantwich is in London or Stoke, to what extent may we trust them to deliver our boat to the right place? Will it end up in Lewes (the one near Scotland) or Huddlesford (the one in Yorkshire on the Narrow Canal)?

One step beyond

#9 Lindapaws

Lindapaws

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

What we are All looking at here is a Major typo spelling mistake by John - where indeed in Nanthwich - you tell me? exactly which part of the canal Do you think you would pick the boat up from?

In order to precisely move a boat  - and give a firm Quote, we need to know precise details?

eg the River Thames for example is a long river and stretches from the tidal - to non-tidal sections, so exactly where would you pick up a boat from on the River Thames, without precise details?

We charge a fraction of the price of (Professional Boat Mover's £60 a day) - because we are semi retired and just love being on the Inland Waterways - to Us boat moving - is something to do in our retirement and giving something back to boat owners, who often do not have the FREE  time from work, or knowledge of our 40 years cruising experience.

There are always folks who say "I can do that" - then why don't you?  When questioned  -  Would you get up at 4 am to catch a tide, be out in all weathers on the back of a narrow boat for up to 10 hours a day, for less than £10 a day, the answer is firmly - No Way.  

Yes sometimes the weather is against us, but still we do all this for a nominal fee that some folks wouldn't even get out of bed for !

That is the difference between the 'Do-oers' - and the can't be Arsed smile.png

So to give us a sporting chance, please be more precise in where you want your boat picking up from - and delivering to.

We are here to help all boaters but we are only two people - there are always those folks that want to poke fun at others, when really they have No inclination of what is really involved.  

It is easy to punch out some smart replies on a computer and post onto a forum - but WHO are the Worthy People? those that sit on their xxx's all day - or those that get out and do something about it?

We could be sat at home enjoying our own boat, or plonked in front of the PC, or TV - but the difference is -

We choose not to smile.png

HAVE A GOOD DAY !

Edited by Lindapaws, 27 August 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#10 dor

dor

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts
  • Boat Name:Aeshna

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

Just out of interest - are you fully insured for commercial boat moving?  If your fee is £10 a day that would barely cover (if at all) the insurance.

"I am not a
complete idiot. - Some bits of me are missing..."
I just hope I can keep boating without them.

#11 howardang

howardang

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Boat Name:58ft semi trad Winthorpe/Inglewood

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

What we are All looking at here is a Major typo spelling mistake by John - where indeed in Nanthwich - you tell me? exactly which part of the canal Do you think you would pick the boat up from?

In order to precisely move a boat  - and give a firm Quote, we need to know precise details?

eg the River Thames for example is a long river and stretches from the tidal - to non-tidal sections, so exactly where would you pick up a boat from on the River Thames, without precise details?

We charge a fraction of the price of (Professional Boat Mover's £60 a day) - because we are semi retired and just love being on the Inland Waterways - to Us boat moving - is something to do in our retirement and giving something back to boat owners, who often do not have the FREE  time from work, or knowledge of our 40 years cruising experience.

There are always folks who say "I can do that" - then why don't you?  When questioned  -  Would you get up at 4 am to catch a tide, be out in all weathers on the back of a narrow boat for up to 10 hours a day, for less than £10 a day, the answer is firmly - No Way.  

Yes sometimes the weather is against us, but still we do all this for a nominal fee that some folks wouldn't even get out of bed for !

So to give us a sporting chance, please be more precise in where you want your boat picking up from - and delivering to.

We are here to help all boaters but we are only two people - there are always those folks that want to poke fun at others, when really they have No inclination of what is really involved.  

It is easy to punch out some smart replies on a computer and post onto a forum - but WHO are the Worthy People? those that sit on their xxx's all day - or those that get out and do something about it?

We could be sat at home enjoying our own boat, or plonked in front of the PC, or TV - but the difference is -

We choose not to smile.png

HAVE A GOOD DAY !

One point I think you ought to clarify is whether you are covered for professional/public liability insurance, or are you relying on the boat being covered under the owners insurance, which may or may not be the case?

Howard

(edited to say I have crossed with DOR who is asking the same question!) You also mentioned RYA qualifications; can you expand on what they are?

Edited by howardang, 27 August 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#12 cheshire~rose

cheshire~rose

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,138 posts
  • Boat Name:Carrie~Lou

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

I don't see that as the difference at all - I see the difference as being those who are fortunate enough to not have to worry about making enough money to live on and those that are working dammned hard to try and keep a roof over their head and feed themselves.

I know a couple of professional boat movers who work damned hard for their money. Yes it is  job that has some wonderful benefits when the sun shines but it is not always the dream job it is made out to be and it involves long hours. While I wish you all the very best with your scheme I do think that maybe some of those you suggest "can't be arsed" have thought through the wider implications of what is involved and decided it is not a job for them.

If my opinion was correct, true and valid. We would all share the same opinion. Then it wouldn't be an opinion.

#13 Starcoaster

Starcoaster

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts
  • Boat Name:Springy

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

There's nothing like a post that is well thought out, relevant to the responses received and totally proportionate and reasonable; and indeed Lindapaws' post was none of those things!

If you can get a professional, insured boat mover to shift your boat for £60 a day, you're getting a screaming bargain and should hire them quickly. 

Retired people undercutting the work of insured professionals for fun and then getting the hump to reasonable responses would be, to me, best avoided!

There are many differences between the do'ers and the can't be arseds... Or another way of looking at it is that many of us simply wouldn't countenance doing a working professional out of a day's pay because we like to play at what they do, particularly when those working professionals work bloody hard for what is often not a very proportionate reward.

Who are the worthy people indeed!

Good day to you too, etc.

Edited by Starcoaster, 27 August 2013 - 06:28 PM.

Starry Trek- "To boldly go where no Springer has gone before" (Peter Reed)

#14 Mike the Boilerman

Mike the Boilerman

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,002 posts
  • Boat Name:Aldebaran, Reginald

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

So for the avoidance of doubt, should you hit another boat during the move who pays for the damage? You, or the owner of the boat you are moving?

And I would imagine the Nantwich concerned is the one (and only one) in Cheshire. There isn't one in London. Are you SURE you are cut out to be boat movers?!

MtB

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Bertrand Russell

btn_donate_LG.gif to CanalWorld running costs. (I put the link here, not CWF.)

#15 mrsmelly

mrsmelly

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

There's nothing like a post that is well thought out, relevant to the responses received and totally proportionate and reasonable; and indeed Lindapaws' post was none of those things!

If you can get a professional, insured boat mover to shift your boat for £60 a day, you're getting a screaming bargain and should hire them quickly. 

Retired people undercutting the work of insured professionals for fun and then getting the hump to reasonable responses would be, to me, best avoided!

There are many differences between the do'ers and the can't be arseds... Or another way of looking at it is that many of us simply wouldn't countenance doing a working professional out of a day's pay because we like to play at what they do, particularly when those working professionals work bloody hard for what is often not a very proportionate reward.

Who are the worthy people indeed!

Good day to you too, etc.

Good post starry. I have underlined one bit that is all too often too true. We now have volunteers all over the canal system and at some very busy locks that I can think of. Its all well and good helping out but those jobs should be paid and left to people who realy know what they are doing especialy on bigger locks. Hobby Bobbies also spring to mind amongst others.

Tim

#16 cotswoldsman

cotswoldsman

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,136 posts
  • Boat Name:Gemma Joy

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:20 AM

Good post starry. I have underlined one bit that is all too often too true. We now have volunteers all over the canal system and at some very busy locks that I can think of. Its all well and good helping out but those jobs should be paid and left to people who realy know what they are doing especialy on bigger locks. Hobby Bobbies also spring to mind amongst others.

Tim

Tim

Is a Hobby Bobby a bit like a Volunteer Enforcement Ranger?

John

Gemma Joy

Visit My Website

#17 mrsmelly

mrsmelly

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

Tim

Is a Hobby Bobby a bit like a Volunteer Enforcement Ranger?

Hi John

Very similar mate.  ( Hobby Bobbies ) more commonly known as " Special constables " used to turn up at the nick friday and saturday evenings to go out with us and they were very often a flippin liability !! Some of them were bus drivers from the local depot, now if i had taken my PSV licence (Thats what they were called then) and toddled off to their depot to drive their buses for nowt there would have been hell on and the unions would have gone ballistic there would have been teddies all over the place. Most jobs need expertise after all.

Tim

#18 DeanS

DeanS

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Boat Name:Getting There Slowly

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

I have nothing against the OP....but just wanted to drop in a comment about an article in the Towpath Talk........about a person CRT have given a 5yr contract....(so I kept reading)......only to find they are a volunteer...and getting no pay ?????

A 5yr contract????

for a volunteer....

without pay???

Apparently it's to help CRT with their property portfolio.....

He's a boater.

I just found it very odd that a volunteer would get a 5yr contract....

I dont think I read it wrong.

Sorry to hijack the thread. All the best to the OP :)

#19 Athy

Athy

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts
  • Boat Name:Trojan

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

And what, pray, happens if he breaks his contract?
Ah, I know, they won't pay him.
Oh, hang on.....
One step beyond

#20 Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

I seem to remember, at the beginning of the year, Mr Chugalong asking for volunteers to move some of his boats & there was no great outcry that he was doing people out of a job. 

If the insurance situation is sorted & the owner & boat mover are happy with the arrangements, I can't see the problem & think that the OP has been given a bit of a rough ride here.

Tony

I started with nothing & still have most of it left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users