How much weight can the boat hold.

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Hi,

Have got a good system going with our stove burning wood pellets, which gives us a much more gentle even heat than anything else we have tried.

We can get pellets very cheaply but only if we buy in bulk. I.e. 500kg.

Our boat is quite small, 25ft, and the pellets would be stored evenly on the bottom of the boat, about 30cm heigh, so most of it would be below the water level.

As long as its all balanced out will the boat hold it all. We are in a marina for a while so the handling of the boat wont be a problem.

Do you think it will be ok. I worked it out as the weight of 10 people being in the boat.

Thanks.

Doodlebug

A 70-ft boat sinks lower in the water by 1" per ton. Being pessimistic because of the shape of the swims having a greater influence, a 25ft boat will probably sink by about three times as much. So with half a ton at 3" per ton I'd expect your boat to float about 1.5" lower. That should be OK.

Ok so having all that weight in one place isn't going to put a massive stress on the boat? We seem slightly unstable at the moment, treading on the boat makes us tilt a lot. But I would assume that having a large weight low down will actually help the situation.

Thanks, Ill go and order them :)

Storing the weight low down in the boat won't be as bad as putting it higher up, on the cabin top for example.

It's difficult to work out how much, exactly, a boat will sink with a certain amount of weight, but you can have a rough guess as Allan says.

Just make sure that when you're loading the boat that you keep your eye on any low level vents or drainage holes (for e.g Lister air cooling vents) and it should be fine.

And a lot heavier

Is it? The water would have been there anyway, just that it would be soaked into the wood.

I'm trying to work out how much fun a boat can be with a 30cm deep covering of fire wood throughout it.

Ok thank you, I would assume that the bags they are in are air and water tight but I will probably put them in black bags to help keep them dry. I figure I can just about store them all under the bed, in the storage boxes underneath. So thats about 1.80 x 1.20 x 0.40m.

I suppose ill have to give it ago. Ive persuaded someone to let me borrow some garage space if we get into difficulty loading it all up.

Good point about the vents. Im pretty sure it will be ok but ill have to look.

Interestingly the vents for the fuel locker are positioned at water level. The bottom of the locker floods with water when the boat rocks. Bit strange I thought. But it wont affect the rest of the boat.

Thanks.

Doodlebug

Yer just have to read these posts everybody!It's very funny. :rolleyes:

Ok so having all that weight in one place isn't going to put a massive stress on the boat? We seem slightly unstable at the moment, treading on the boat makes us tilt a lot. But I would assume that having a large weight low down will actually help the situation.

Thanks, Ill go and order them :)

This is hilarious!! ;)