New Engine Make to Me !

Golden Duck

Featured Posts

I was chatting to our local blacksmith who is refurbishing an old barge downriver a way. I remarked on the lovely sound of his engine which sounded a bit like a Bolinder. He said the engine was a single cylinder model called a D-Industrial.

He couldn't find a manual for it but managed to get it working anyway - it certainly sounded wonderful.

Anybody know anymore about the D-Industrial ??

We still have the NB Fulbourne moored opposite (see Gallery) and she has a National engine.

Edited by Golden Duck

• 2 weeks later...

10ish years ago down here on the Wey the navigation foreman owned a pair of Dutch Katwijker barges . One or both of them had 'Industrie' single cylinder hot bulb engines .

I remember seeing the Virginia Currer ad. when they were sold which I think said the engine was a 47hp which would make it considerably larger than the 9 or 15hp Bolinders seen in narrowboats .

The guy that bought the one with the Industrie hot bulb , who at the time also owned small Woolwich motor 'Phobos' , took it to a boatyard on the Thames near Oxford with the intention of converting it for residential use and changing the engine for something more user-friendly . I don't think he ever got around to it . Maybe that's the boat you saw ?

Not very conclusive but hopefully interesting !

If I post a photo of the barge, would you recognise it after so long ?

I don't know what a Katwijker barge looks like.

She must be quite old and it has taken him some time to get her as far as he has.

The steering is not unlike that of a steam traction engine.

Edited by Golden Duck

If I post a photo of the barge, would you recognise it after so long ?

I don't know what a Katwijker barge looks like.

She must be quite old and it has taken him some time to get her as far as he has.

The steering is not unlike that of a steam traction engine.

I may well recognise the barge . The longer of the two was 72' and was called Thomas Morrus or something like that . The shorter one was around 65' and is the one that definitely had the Industrie semi diesel and went to Oxfordshire . Unfortunately I don't recall her name but that may have changed since anyway .

I believe katwijker barges were built to operate on waterways with restricted headroom and one of their features was a horizontal steering wheel . Both the above barges had large horizontal wheels and no wheelhouse .

I would be interested to see a photo

cheers

Sounds like her - the low headroom and horizontal wheel is spot-on.

I'll get a photo this evening.

Unfortunately, he is rarely there when I go past as he could probably tell us a lot more

about her history.

I may well recognise the barge . The longer of the two was 72' and was called Thomas Morrus or something like that . The shorter one was around 65' and is the one that definitely had the Industrie semi diesel and went to Oxfordshire . Unfortunately I don't recall her name but that may have changed since anyway .

I believe katwijker barges were built to operate on waterways with restricted headroom and one of their features was a horizontal steering wheel . Both the above barges had large horizontal wheels and no wheelhouse .

I would be interested to see a photo

cheers

Here we go:

Barge.jpg

That looks familiar ! It's a long time ago but I think the aft cabin is original but there was only a short cabin , one or two portholes , ahead of the stering position so it looks as though one of the subsequent owners has added that long low cabin . I can't tell whether that boat is the shorter or longer one but I remember the shorter one had its original fit-out in the aft boatman's cabin . I hope this has been retained . The conversion work appears to be sympathetic and thankfully the old engine is still in her .

I hope you get to chat to the owner soon so we can find out a bit more . A quick internet search on Industrie engines turned up nothing except a passing reference to one in someone's barge in Holland .

The next time I see Vince , the nav. foreman , I will try to remember to ask him about it . He's a busy man but he can usually find time for a natter about old boats and their engines .

All the best

Duncan

http://www.abelforte.nl/industrie/main.html

I found this site after a bit more searching . Only in Dutch unfortunately but you can get the gist .

The single cylinder ones look very similar to Bolinder . The sound would probably be similar but I believe that the syncopated exhaust rhythm of a Bolinder is due to the ' hit and miss ' governer design which is unique to Bolinders and sets them apart from other single cylinder hot bulb engines .

Lovely engines when they are in someone elses boat ! I'll stick with my Gardner thanks .

Cudos to the blacksmith for getting that Industrie engine going though and good luck to him with the boat .

Best Regards

Foxglove

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone,

I found this thread while searching for information on De Industrie engines in general and can give you the details that are missing!

I am one of those strange people that care about our industrial heritage and in particular prime movers. I have a few engines in my collection that are rallied every year for the general public to see and enjoy. One of them is the very engine you are talking about!

The "Thomas Morrus" and the "Gerrard Elizabeth" both belonged to "Vince" and were motored across the sea as a pair. The story is incredible and best told by "Vince"

I came to the rescue of this engine quite by chance as I was buying another engine from the boatyard and literaly came across it! The "Gerrard Elizabeth" was being completly refurbished (sadly the old cabin is no more)and a modern key start engine fitted in place of the old "Industrie" I purchased the engine on the 26th April 2008 and stopped it going into the scrap.

The engine was seized solid and had not run for 12 years! Water tide marks showed that the depth was half way up the cylinder block at times. Sorting out the beast was challenging and enjoyable, it is big! The piston is over 10 inches in diameter and the displacement is 15.5 litres. These engines were made from 1913 to 1951 and this particular one was delivered from the Alphen factory in Holland to H. Kouw in Amsterdam on 09/06/51. The serial number is 1198 and the last one made was 1205 so it is one of the last ones of it's type. It is a 1IB4A rated at 20 HP it weighs 2.1 tons! The engine is a single cylinder "Semi Diesel" 2 stroke so needs to have the "hot bulb" or "scull" heated red hot by blowtorch before starting is possible. A compressed air start can be done in 10 minutes but a full hand start takes 1/2 an hour!

The first outing this year is at Amberly on the 13th of May, it is a very interesting machine.

Best regards,

Colin.

Hi everyone,

I found this thread while searching for information on De Industrie engines in general and can give you the details that are missing!

I am one of those strange people that care about our industrial heritage and in particular prime movers. I have a few engines in my collection that are rallied every year for the general public to see and enjoy. One of them is the very engine you are talking about!

The "Thomas Morrus" and the "Gerrard Elizabeth" both belonged to "Vince" and were motored across the sea as a pair. The story is incredible and best told by "Vince"

I came to the rescue of this engine quite by chance as I was buying another engine from the boatyard and literaly came across it! The "Gerrard Elizabeth" was being completly refurbished (sadly the old cabin is no more)and a modern key start engine fitted in place of the old "Industrie" I purchased the engine on the 26th April 2008 and stopped it going into the scrap.

The engine was seized solid and had not run for 12 years! Water tide marks showed that the depth was half way up the cylinder block at times. Sorting out the beast was challenging and enjoyable, it is big! The piston is over 10 inches in diameter and the displacement is 15.5 litres. These engines were made from 1913 to 1951 and this particular one was delivered from the Alphen factory in Holland to H. Kouw in Amsterdam on 09/06/51. The serial number is 1198 and the last one made was 1205 so it is one of the last ones of it's type. It is a 1IB4A rated at 20 HP it weighs 2.1 tons! The engine is a single cylinder "Semi Diesel" 2 stroke so needs to have the "hot bulb" or "scull" heated red hot by blowtorch before starting is possible. A compressed air start can be done in 10 minutes but a full hand start takes 1/2 an hour!

The first outing this year is at Amberly on the 13th of May, it is a very interesting machine.

Best regards,

Colin.

D stands for DEUTCHE INDUSTRIE,A GERMAN 2 stroke hot bulb engine.the bulb requires black heat to initiate combustion.used to maintain one in the '70's,INSTALLED in a barge called RIOS.

Hi, :)

I've read your reply with interest; I'm certain these engines are Dutch - Deutche Industrie must be a different manufacturer based in Germany? I would be very interested to see any pictures, or links to information you might have regarding them?

One of the links posted above gives a lot of information on De Industrie engines, (The Abelforte website is well respected, here is the translated link) but my own knowledge is growing daily as I spend more time working with them and researching them.

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment, including a picture of the Gerrard Elizabeth at the boat yard in 2008:

6847382736_e121273d09.jpg

Are you going to behave this time by FC3MRC, on Flickr

6847382298_599fdcc2e4.jpg

Industrie with Matador and Petter S by FC3MRC, on Flickr

6993504473_e0a21f63b8.jpg

Engine plate by FC3MRC, on Flickr

6847381652_bede7b60c8.jpg

Gerrard Elizabeth 2008 by FC3MRC, on Flickr

6847381192_6d3b37c57e.jpg

Engine in factory 1B4a by FC3MRC, on Flickr

6993503283_eb33fcc2d8.jpg

DeIndustrieAlphen1930 by FC3MRC, on Flickr

Hi, :)

I've read your reply with interest; I'm certain these engines are Dutch - Deutche Industrie must be a different manufacturer based in Germany? I would be very interested to see any pictures, or links to information you might have regarding them?

One of the links posted above gives a lot of information on De Industrie engines, (The Abelforte website is well respected, here is the translated link) but my own knowledge is growing daily as I spend more time working with them and researching them.

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment, including a picture of the Gerrard Elizabeth at the boat yard in 2008:

Engine plate by FC3MRC, on Flickr

You are absolutely right HotBulb, as your beautiful engine-plate shows: INDUSTRIE motoren are Dutch, and were made in the engine-factory = Motoren Fabriek "De INDUSTRIE", which belonged to a famous shipyard BOOT that made among lots of other barges, the nicest shaped and sought after Luxemotor barges made mainly between 1920 and 1935 at their yard at Alphen a/d Rijn.

In Germany simular looking engines were made by DEUTZ, but they had nothing to do with Industrie.

Peter.