#1 dor

dor

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts
  • Boat Name:Aeshna

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

If you have been stunned by the price of fire bricks, e.g. 35 just for one for a Stovax Brunel, this might be useful if you are in the Nantwich area.

There is a shop on the corner of Pillory Street & Love Lane (close to the town centre) that cuts them to size. They charged me 7 each and the material, a sort of compressed mica / vermiculite composite looks like the same material as in the genuine Stovax part.

Even the sets offered on eBay, which will be cut from similar material, are 35 - 40 a set.

Maybe other local fireplace shops do a similar deal.

"I am not a
complete idiot. - Some bits of me are missing..."
I just hope I can keep boating without them.

#2 G4YVM

G4YVM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

If you have been stunned by the price of fire bricks, e.g. 35 just for one for a Stovax Brunel, this might be useful if you are in the Nantwich area.

There is a shop on the corner of Pillory Street & Love Lane (close to the town centre) that cuts them to size. They charged me 7 each and the material, a sort of compressed mica / vermiculite composite looks like the same material as in the genuine Stovax part.

Even the sets offered on eBay, which will be cut from similar material, are 35 - 40 a set.

I wanted firebricks for a garden bbq last year. In the end it would have been cheaper to ship used ones from Stoke or somewhere than buy new anywhere. I went without after all.

D

#3 bizzard

bizzard

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,717 posts
  • Boat Name:lady olga

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

I've always used ordinary Fletton house bricks to reduce my grate area to cut the heat down and to save on fuel,with no problems at all.
If your handy with a hammer and bolster they're easy to sculpture to fit your stove,or i suppose if your a power tool nut an angle grinder and stone cutting disc will do it. :mellow:

#4 PeteS

PeteS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Boat Name:Sunrise

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

Wilkinson hardware stores do fire bricks at really good prices. About 3 as I recall I bought 2 for either side of my Morso

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/
Pete

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - a bag of chips in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

#5 Grace & Favour

Grace & Favour

Long Standing Member

• Site Crew
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Go to Kiln Linings Ltd - -

Check through some of their bargain sizes . . . .

If you don't mind trimming your own - these very high quality kiln firebricks can work out very cheap indeed

I like collecting recipes

I now have a greater number of recipes than the likely number of days remaining to me!

Don't waste time thinking about what's wrong with yourself. Instead, focus on what's wrong with other people.

#6 Bobbin

Bobbin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Boat Name:Leonora

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Do you have a Wilkinson's shop anywhere near you. I bought mine from there and I carefully used a chisel to get a good fit. They were very reasonable, just a few pounds. Needless to say I am very pleased with them.

#7 PeteS

PeteS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Boat Name:Sunrise

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

I think my posts must be invisible?

I said this 2 posts ago
Pete

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - a bag of chips in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

#8 jelunga

jelunga

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts
  • Boat Name:Lily Maud

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

I think my posts must be invisible?

I said this 2 posts ago

Who said that? The invisible man?
Oh to be at sea (edit to read Canal)