17 replies to this topic

#1 TUGBOAT

TUGBOAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Boat Name:MERLIN

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

A little warning to anybody thinking of mooring in Trevor basin on the Llangollan Canal.DON'T we stayed there on Sat night and we had yobbos kicking the side of the boat in at 11.30 pm. Also we had a drink at the Telford Inn at trevor 3.20 a pt and we could hardly drink it and we here the food is not much better !

So not a good evening.

JOHN

#2 tree monkey

tree monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Boat Name:dill

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

A little warning to anybody thinking of mooring in Trevor basin on the Llangollan Canal.DON'T we stayed there on Sat night and we had yobbos kicking the side of the boat in at 11.30 pm. Also we had a drink at the Telford Inn at trevor 3.20 a pt and we could hardly drink it and we here the food is not much better !

So not a good evening.

JOHN

I moor on the other side of the aquaduct and have no problems with "yobbos" please do not condem an area because of one bad night.

I'm a monkey who has rather a delectable girlfriend.  What a lucky simian I am.

Maybe I won't leave myself logged in on her computer before falling into a Talisker-induced sleep next time.

:tired:

#3 TUGBOAT

TUGBOAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Boat Name:MERLIN

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

We called out the police and they said it is not uncommon and so did BW. and speaking to other boaters they agreed

JOHN

#4 tree monkey

tree monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Boat Name:dill

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

We called out the police and they said it is not uncommon and so did BW. and speaking to other boaters they agreed

JOHN

ok well thats ok then, i hope everyone takes note AVOID TREVOR it a dangerous place.

not of course taking in to acount the 5 years i have moored here and all the trouble we have had, hmmmmmm let me think

1 tv ariel nicked
1 bag of coal nicked, later found, kids fishing tried to use it when night fishing
1 occasion of small pebbles thrown at boat, kids ran off screaming when i steped out of boat
the odd log taken by passing boaters

dont get me wrong there has been the odd bit of trouble over in Trevor, the hire base had some of there brass mushrooms nicked by a local scrote, he was later found

and a few boats have had minor issues over the years but it is no more than you would expect considering the location and posting on here "AVOID TREVOR" will only make matters worse by stopping people using the arm to stay overnight.

I am sorry for the problems you had but please consider the effects of such a post

cheers

I'm a monkey who has rather a delectable girlfriend.  What a lucky simian I am.

Maybe I won't leave myself logged in on her computer before falling into a Talisker-induced sleep next time.

:tired:

#5 cheshire~rose

cheshire~rose

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,138 posts
  • Boat Name:Carrie~Lou

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Also we had a drink at the Telford Inn at trevor 3.20 a pt

That's daylight robbery! - I hope you reported that to the relevant authorities too! :P

If my opinion was correct, true and valid. We would all share the same opinion. Then it wouldn't be an opinion.

#6 Grace & Favour

Grace & Favour

Long Standing Member

• Site Crew
  • 8,149 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

A little warning to anybody thinking of mooring in Trevor basin on the Llangollan Canal.DON'T we stayed there on Sat night and we had yobbos kicking the side of the boat in at 11.30 pm. Also we had a drink at the Telford Inn at trevor £3.20 a pt and we could hardly drink it and we here the food is not much better !

So not a good evening.

JOHN

I'd like to add to Tugboats comments, and warn a few other people
Last July I bought a few pints of Fosters L*ger at the British F1 Grand Prix, it was £6.00 a pint - - and was truly awful. - Please stay away from Northamptonshire
I've also had occasion to buy hot snacks at various motorway service stations - they've been awful - - - please don't use motorways
(I've also drunk in a couple of pubs in Llangollen - and must warn fellow boaters that they were full of Welsh people, and they all sounded strange . . . . . .

Just thought I should even things up a bit about the weaknesses of other locations

Edited by Grace & Favour, 03 April 2012 - 09:35 PM.

I like collecting recipes

I now have a greater number of recipes than the likely number of days remaining to me!

Don't waste time thinking about what's wrong with yourself. Instead, focus on what's wrong with other people.

#7 mrsmelly

mrsmelly

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,139 posts
  • Boat Name:Kishti

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Last July I bought a few pints of Fosters L*ger

:o You need locking up !!

REALITY IS AN ILLUSION CAUSED BY LACK OF ALCOHOL.
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CC ON ONE CANAL.

#8 Grace & Favour

Grace & Favour

Long Standing Member

• Site Crew
  • 8,149 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

:o You need locking up !!

I was only admitting this to save other folks from ever having to visit Northants, )I've kept the secret for 9 months - but just had to tell someone!)

Edited by Grace & Favour, 03 April 2012 - 09:48 PM.

I like collecting recipes

I now have a greater number of recipes than the likely number of days remaining to me!

Don't waste time thinking about what's wrong with yourself. Instead, focus on what's wrong with other people.

#9 Burgiesburnin

Burgiesburnin

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

JOHN

Hi John and thanks for the warning. I think the point is that if possible to moore elsewhere other than Trevor or at least know what to expect if you do or need to moore there.
If the police are ware on incidents however minor then it is up to the local community to stop the yobs unless they dont want people to support the local facilities. Maybe they should consider that without outside support the pint could cost more.

My wife and I with be there in August and the input is appreciated.

ok well thats ok then, i hope everyone takes note AVOID TREVOR it a dangerous place.

not of course taking in to acount the 5 years i have moored here and all the trouble we have had, hmmmmmm let me think

1 tv ariel nicked
1 bag of coal nicked, later found, kids fishing tried to use it when night fishing
1 occasion of small pebbles thrown at boat, kids ran off screaming when i steped out of boat

dont get me wrong there has been the odd bit of trouble over in Trevor, the hire base had some of there brass mushrooms nicked by a local scrote, he was later found

and a few boats have had minor issues over the years but it is no more than you would expect considering the location and posting on here "AVOID TREVOR" will only make matters worse by stopping people using the arm to stay overnight.

I am sorry for the problems you had but please consider the effects of such a post

cheers

The effect of the post is to make people aware of the situation in the place. I wont keep away because of tye reported incident but at least I am aware and know what to expect and that this is just normal behaviour for the locals.

1 tv ariel nicked

cheers

The effect of the post is to make people aware of the situation in the place. I wont keep away because of tye reported incident but at least I am aware and know what to expect and that this is just normal behaviour for the locals.
I used to drink a lot but now I can't think of anything that I am trying to forget.

#10 cotswoldsman

cotswoldsman

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,137 posts
  • Boat Name:Gemma Joy

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

So not a good evening.

JOHN

I am never quite sure how to react to posts like this. Problems can happen anywhere a kick to my boat for me would not be a big problem. I moored for 2 months in Trevor a few years ago and had no problems, I moored for 1 night last year in Audlem and had my mooring ropes cut but I would still moor at Audlum next time. As for the Telford Inn I can not comment on the quality of the beer and food as pubs change hands so quickly, all I know is when I was there both were very good.
John

Gemma Joy

Visit My Website

#11 Graham Davis

Graham Davis

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Boat Name:Not at present!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

and must warn fellow boaters that they were full of Welsh people, and they all sounded strange . . . . . .

Oi!
Watch it saesnig!! :rolleyes:

#12 Hairy-Neil

Hairy-Neil

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Also we had a drink at the Telford Inn at trevor 3.20 a pt

That's daylight robbery! - I hope you reported that to the relevant authorities too! :P

Had a pint here last easter called Telford's Tipple. A CAMRA friend I was with thought it was branded Tetley bitter, so agreed, undrinkable. We got a much better pint (several actually) just down the hill at the CAMRA Good Beer Guide listed, Mill Hotel, Cefn Mawr.
Sleep is overrated...I can do it with my eyes closed...

#13 Keeping Up

Keeping Up

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts
  • Boat Name:Keeping Up

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

We got a much better pint (several actually) just down the hill at the CAMRA Good Beer Guide listed, Mill Hotel, Cefn Mawr.

I'll bet it cost a lot less than the beer in the Telford's as well
Allan

Visit the Keeping-Up website to see where we've been

#14 ditchcrawler

ditchcrawler

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,252 posts
  • Boat Name:Narrowboat Harnser

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

I was only admitting this to save other folks from ever having to visit Northants, )I've kept the secret for 9 months - but just had to tell someone!)

You may have said this jokingly but you have warned people of the prices they should expect to pay for drinks at events like F1 just like the OP was warning of the price of drinks at the pub he visited.
Brian, who writes a boring blog every day when he is on board Harnser about their travels.

#15 BlueStringPudding

BlueStringPudding

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,812 posts
  • Boat Name:Mabel Stark

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

- Please stay away from Northamptonshire

:clapping: that made me genuinely laugh out loud on the train just now. I got looked at. :lol: have a greenie
"Just seen a BW working boat come to a standstill with a fouled prop - The crew claimed it may take 2-3 hrs to clear !!!! so bowhauled the boat on the old blue string pudding." - benfordboy

"Am I in the distance yet?" - Bod

#16 Darren72

Darren72

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Boat Name:Fiasco da Gama

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

So not a good evening.

JOHN

So not a good evening.

JOHN

this is my opinion and I dont expect many people to follow my opinion.
If I was you the yobbos would have had a good kicking in return and choose another eatety next time your in that area.

I moor on the other side of the aquaduct and have no problems with "yobbos" please do not condem an area because of one bad night.

London had riots last year by folk who just did it for sake of it. Doesnt stop millions of folk going to London every year!!!

#17 jelunga

jelunga

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • Boat Name:Lily Maud

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'd like to add to Tugboats comments, and warn a few other people
Last July I bought a few pints of Fosters L*ger at the British F1 Grand Prix, it was 6.00 a pint - - and was truly awful. - Please stay away from Northamptonshire
I've also had occasion to buy hot snacks at various motorway service stations - they've been awful - - - please don't use motorways
(I've also drunk in a couple of pubs in Llangollen - and must warn fellow boaters that they were full of Welsh people, and they all sounded strange . . . . . .

Just thought I should even things up a bit about the weaknesses of other locations

And the price of food at Crick Boat Show is horrendous. Beer not too bad though
Oh to be at sea (edit to read Canal)
Lock Keepers rule. K. O?

#18 Darren72

Darren72

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Boat Name:Fiasco da Gama

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Canal forum should have a like reply option!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users