5 replies to this topic

#1 Springer Skipper

Springer Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Boat Name:Billy

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

Having trawled through lots of info,I am now undecided!We have two and a half months starting April 18th,we would like to do the ring doing the Huddersfield Narrow,and leaving time for a visit to York.
But which way round is best,hill views,locks and tide timings taken into consideration.
Our starting point is just off the ring ,at Penkeridge,so we will do the shroppie as well.
I know its a wide ask but out here on this forum is a wealth of experience,please let me have some of yours,otherwise its a coin in the air!

#2 MartinClark

MartinClark

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

Not sure what ring you mean, as Penkridge is not exactly just off what most people regard as either the North or South Pennine Rings.

With you mentioning tides, I suspect you may be thinking of doing a big ring taking in the Trent and Mersey and River Trent as well. If that is the case, then many people find it easier to come out of Keadby Lock onto the Trent than to go into it.

Apart from that I can't think of any issues that might affect which way round you choose to go. Doing the Huddersfield Narrow, you can now arrange with BW to stay overnight at Marsden if travelling eastwards, if you wish, rather than just westwards as before. The views are pleasing whichever direction you are heading.

Standedge Tunnel is the only place where you need to book in advance if you cross the Pennines that way, so if you cross from west to east on planned dates, that gives you more flexibility over how long you stay around the York area.
Martin Clark
Pennine Waterways Website - http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk

#3 Springer Skipper

Springer Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Boat Name:Billy

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Thank you Martin,I was proposing to join the ring after Stretford on the Bridgewater,then either go left over the barton and on clockwise ,or go right and do the ashton then the HNC anti clockwise.
The Tides I was reffering to was onto the River Ouse,as I understand there can be an awkward lock.
I would love to do the big ring with the Trent but another time.
This North Pennine ring sounds enough for me,there is always lots to explore.BTW your virtual tours are great I am looking forward to the real thing.Even a side tripe on the Liverpool Link
Thanks again,
Robin

#4 MartinClark

MartinClark

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

The Tides I was reffering to was onto the River Ouse,as I understand there can be an awkward lock.

Yes, of course - sorry! That's the only part of the northern system that I haven't done, so I can't offer any advice on that.
Martin Clark

#5 pearley

pearley

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Boat Name:Joanie M

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Not sure what ring you mean, as Penkridge is not exactly just off what most people regard as either the North or South Pennine Rings.

With you mentioning tides, I suspect you may be thinking of doing a big ring taking in the Trent and Mersey and River Trent as well. If that is the case, then many people find it easier to come out of Keadby Lock onto the Trent than to go into it.

Apart from that I can't think of any issues that might affect which way round you choose to go. Doing the Huddersfield Narrow, you can now arrange with BW to stay overnight at Marsden if travelling eastwards, if you wish, rather than just westwards as before. The views are pleasing whichever direction you are heading.

Standedge Tunnel is the only place where you need to book in advance if you cross the Pennines that way, so if you cross from west to east on planned dates, that gives you more flexibility over how long you stay around the York area.

So we can now stay at Marsden? Had a huge argument 2 years ago with BW at Standedge about mooring there. I couldn't see what difference it made if we moored until the next tunnel transit as no one was coming up. They were adamant we had to go down the flight the next day. Pity as it meant the pubs missed out.

#6 MartinClark

MartinClark

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

So we can now stay at Marsden?

That's what they told people at the User Groups meeting. I can't guarantee that they have told the staff on the ground at Standedge!
Martin Clark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users