#1 The Dog House

The Dog House

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,773 posts
  • Boat Name:The Dog House

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

Just planning our next trip which will be down the S&SYN in a couple of weeks.

Looking at this photo of Eastwood lock (Due acknowledgement to Marin Clarke-Pennine waterways) - there does not appear to be any landing stage or ladders to land/disembark from the boat.

Posted Image

Martin's site says there can be a lockie on duty, which OK fair enough then when so no need to embark/disembark, but what if there isn't?

I know some of the locks down there have the landing stages tucked around the corner out of sight but that doesn't appear to be the case here. Can anybody familiar with that particular lock advise - or do I need to bring a ladder or is it simply out of shot?? :lol:
Martin.... 

Is the sun over the yardarm yet?

#2 Naughty Cal

Naughty Cal

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,178 posts
  • Boat Name:Naughty Cal

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

I believe it to be out of shot on the starboard side as you look at that picture. IIRC the wall becomes much lower and you moor against that. :)

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

#3 The Dog House

The Dog House

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,773 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

I believe it to be out of shot on the starboard side as you look at that picture. IIRC the wall becomes much lower and you moor against that. :)

Cheers - logic was telling me that but just checking.
Martin.... 

#4 steelaway

steelaway

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts
  • Boat Name:SteelAway

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

Cheers - logic was telling me that but just checking.

The best section and good pub is at Sprotborough. Watch the River Don if it rains, it rises dammed fast and becomes like the tidal Ouse with floating debris.
Book the Tinsley flight. Mooring in Sheffield Basin is good and very near the town. Good moorings and pub at Pastures Lodge - Mexborough.
Good chippy and pub at Stainforth.

Alex
I used to think I was indecisive - now I'm not so sure

#5 CygnusV

CygnusV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Boat Name:Cygnus

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

The best section and good pub is at Sprotborough. Watch the River Don if it rains, it rises dammed fast and becomes like the tidal Ouse with floating debris.
Book the Tinsley flight. Mooring in Sheffield Basin is good and very near the town. Good moorings and pub at Pastures Lodge - Mexborough.

Alex

Sheffield basin is like a big goldfish bowl, and it's damned hard work to get there because of the number of old worn out locks. If I remember right there are 15 locks between Eastwood and Sheffield. Hard work and no reward when you get to the dead end. :angry: I'd be much more tempted to head the other way, but of I don't know where you're coming from!

Agree with pub at Sprotborough if it's still open and definitely agree with comments about the Don.

My boaty website 'This Old Boat'

#6 The Dog House

The Dog House

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,773 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Alex

Cheers Alex -

Yes my googling about uncovered this rather alarming set of images of the Don in flood. :o

https://picasaweb.go...SheffieldFloods

Sheffield basin is like a big goldfish bowl, and it's damned hard work to get there because of the number of old worn out locks. If I remember right there are 15 locks between Eastwood and Sheffield. Hard work and no reward when you get to the dead end. :angry: I'd be much more tempted to head the other way, but of I don't know where you're coming from!

Agree with pub at Sprotborough if it's still open and definitely agree with comments about the Don.

Thanks - not afraid of a bit of graft TBH plus I need to get some blubber off my bones, all this boating through mechanised locks is making me fat! and we want to do it in a sort of 'just because it's there and we can' sort of way. Sprotborough is on our list to stop as I agree it looks nice.
Martin.... 

#7 Naughty Cal

Naughty Cal

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,178 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

I cant agree with much of that. Yes it is hard work up the locks but the Basin, Victoria Quays, is a great place. A little oasis in the city centre. We have stayed on one of the Hotel Boats in the quays on several occasions even though we live in Sheffield. It is a short walk into the city centre where you have all of the shops, pubs and retaurants one would expect. :cheers:

#8 matty40s

matty40s

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,012 posts
  • Boat Name:Old Friends

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

pontoon

not sure if that link works, but I do like using the sat view to try before I cruise new places....

Edited by matty40s, 21 March 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#9 Mac of Cygnet

Mac of Cygnet

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts
  • Boat Name:Cygnet

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Cheers Alex -

Yes my googling about uncovered this rather alarming set of images of the Don in flood. :o

Thanks - not afraid of a bit of graft TBH plus I need to get some blubber off my bones, all this boating through mechanised locks is making me fat! and we want to do it in a sort of 'just because it's there and we can' sort of way. Sprotborough is on our list to stop as I agree it looks nice.

Yes, I moored at Sprotburgh that year, not long before the floods (I was on the Chesterfield when the floods came). I went back afterwards, and there was an enormous tree lying exactly where my boat had been, with the pub opposite covered in mud (it has since reopened). However, if you walk up to the village, the Sam Smiths pub there has its own cricket ground, so if you choose the right day you can sit on the veranda watching the cricket and drinking beer at 1-50 a pint. :)

#10 The Dog House

The Dog House

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,773 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

pontoon

not sure if that link works, but I do like using the sat view to try before I cruise new places....

It does cheers - I couldn't locate it on GE so thanks.
Martin.... 

#11 CygnusV

CygnusV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Boat Name:Cygnus

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Cheers Alex -

Hi Martin

Hope it goes well for you. I was actually in Sheffield at a meeting when the floods started. I've never seen a place fill up as quickly as Sheffield city centre. We were there in the car and I needed to get back to Rotherham to pick up my own car from work. Where I worked was right at the side of the canal above Eastwood lock. The only way we could get out of Sheffield was by heading out to Stocksbridge and then finding the 'long way round' back to Rotherham. By the time we got back Wash Lane (where the Asda store is) was completely inaccessible. Two days later the water had cleared so back to work. Factory flooded, my car also. At the back of the factory is the canal bank with visitor moorings opposite. Three boats either on the bank or partially sunk.

I wouldn't spend too much time on the horrors though. I lived in Rotherham for more than 40 years but don't ever remember flooding that bad. Have a good trip but take a couple of cans of spinach with you!! :cheers:

My boaty website 'This Old Boat'

#12 pearley

pearley

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Boat Name:Joanie M

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Personally I didn't like the Boat at Sprotborough when we stopped there last October. Indifferent service and London prices.

Most of the water points along this part of the navigation are in the locks. The one at the Visitor mooring at Eastwood doesn't work. The one at the S/Stn at Swinton needs a very long hose. If you lift the manhole cover you'll see that it has never been connected! There are power hookups at the moorings at Eastwood. One is a 63A if you fancy doing some welding!

Not advisable to moor overnight in Rotherham but the Tesco there is a useful stop.

The moorings in Sheffield are looked after by CV Marine rather than BW. The visitor moorings are on the right as you arrive rather than through the swing bridge as the BW notice implies.

Regards
Pete

#13 Victor Vectis

Victor Vectis

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Boat Name:Red Wharf'

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

And a working colliery, now there's a novelty.

SAM ex Hatfield Main NUM

Edited to ask: Anyone got a coal miner smiley?

Edited by Victor Vectis, 21 March 2012 - 08:03 PM.

The Archers are real - there is no cast. www.archersanarchists.com

#14 The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Boat Name:Ex Papermaker. Ex Merlin. Ex Bean Goose.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

Alex

The Concertina band club Mexborough brews its own beer a very good night. Kelham Island steel museum is a must visit.

#15 Grace & Favour

Grace & Favour

Long Standing Member

• Site Crew
  • 8,193 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

And a working colliery, now there's a novelty.

SAM ex Hatfield Main NUM

Edited to ask: Anyone got a coal miner smiley?

This is as near as we get :ninja:

I like collecting recipes

I now have a greater number of recipes than the likely number of days remaining to me!

Don't waste time thinking about what's wrong with yourself. Instead, focus on what's wrong with other people.

#16 Naughty Cal

Naughty Cal

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,178 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

The Concertina band club Mexborough brews its own beer a very good night. Kelham Island steel museum is a must visit.

And if you are visiting the Museum why not visit the brewery and then the pub :cheers:

http://www.kelhambrewery.co.uk/

#17 Hairy-Neil

Hairy-Neil

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

Pale Rider is a favorite of mine.... :cheers:
Sleep is overrated...I can do it with my eyes closed...

#18 Naughty Cal

Naughty Cal

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,178 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

Pale Rider is a favorite of mine.... :cheers:

Im not really a real ale fan but I do quite like Pale Rider. It is very easy to drink :cheers:

#19 Hairy-Neil

Hairy-Neil

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

Im not really a real ale fan but I do quite like Pale Rider. It is very easy to drink :cheers:

Then you need to try more..... :cheers:

There are hundreds to choose from. 90 breweries in Yorkshire alone. Steer clear of the brown beers is a good starting point. Blondes are much more fun.... B)
Sleep is overrated...I can do it with my eyes closed...

#20 RichardH

RichardH

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts
  • Boat Name:Various

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

We did Sheffield 2 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it even though it was "work" as we were going to collect a shell from Tylers and move it back by water.

Dave the lockie on Tinsley is an absolute gem.

www.canalboatescapes.co.uk
RYA Training Centre

Voted 'Most Outstanding Micro Business of the Year 2010' and 'Environmental Business 2012' in the Pendle Business Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users