44 replies to this topic

#1 JDR

JDR

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

I'm ready to invest in at least one 80 or 100w panel, (only have 2 110ah domestics and no gadgets) and possibly fit a second panel later depending on results.I'm fairly confident about the controller/regulator side but wondered how people mount their brackets? Are there any alternatives to drilling/tapping holes in roof or having bracket permanently welded in place?

#2 blodger

blodger

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • Boat Name:Rose of Tralee

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

I'm ready to invest in at least one 80 or 100w panel, (only have 2 110ah domestics and no gadgets) and possibly fit a second panel later depending on results.I'm fairly confident about the controller/regulator side but wondered how people mount their brackets? Are there any alternatives to drilling/tapping holes in roof or having bracket permanently welded in place?

You could use magnets. I got some off Ebay.

Best Quality MagPads SET OF 2 85mm x 55mm x 10mm around 5.00 each

Used by taxis to hold on taxi sign, etc. Search for magpad taxi 10 for 23.99

Edited by blodger, 16 March 2012 - 08:44 PM.

The moon's a balloon

#3 Chalky

Chalky

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Boat Name:Lady Jacqueline

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

I drilled and tapped the roof and mounted the brackets on mastic to stop leaks. Been fine for 5 years.

Only the truly enlightened know the sound of one pannier flapping. 

#4 Grace & Favour

Grace & Favour

Long Standing Member

• Site Crew
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

Could you fix lugs to one/both of your handrails and mount a frame for the panels from those?

I like collecting recipes

I now have a greater number of recipes than the likely number of days remaining to me!

Don't waste time thinking about what's wrong with yourself. Instead, focus on what's wrong with other people.

#5 Rebotco

Rebotco

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Boat Name:NEPTUNE 2

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

You could use magnets. I got some off Ebay.

Best Quality MagPads SET OF 2 85mm x 55mm x 10mm around 5.00 each

Used by taxis to hold on taxi sign

I always wonder about these - would it not be rather easy for any local scallywag to nick the panel in a couple of seconds?
Brian

#6 JDR

JDR

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

My handrails are solid but there are a couple of gaps I could use.Are the taxi sign magnets scroteproof? Or could you bond the magnets to the roof for extra security?I know drilling and tapping is the obvious solution but don't want to do that if a better solution exists.Thanks for the ideas so far.

#7 Chalky

Chalky

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Boat Name:Lady Jacqueline

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

I have seen someone who made a clamp arrangement that clamped to the steel work on the sliding hatch. No idea how good it was.

Only the truly enlightened know the sound of one pannier flapping. 

#8 Biggles

Biggles

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts
  • Boat Name:Avalon

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

I would go with tapping a thread in the roof as previously mentioned. I would however use a security screw.

Biggles.

Boat build blog http://boatbuildblog.blogspot.com/ follow my boat build and fit out.
Camper van build blog http://kevskamper.blogspot.com/ ambulance to motorhome conversion.

Did you know you can donate to the running costs of the CanalWorld forum via Paypal using the button at the bottom of this page?   btn_donate_LG.gif

#9 blodger

blodger

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • Boat Name:Rose of Tralee

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

I always wonder about these - would it not be rather easy for any local scallywag to nick the panel in a couple of seconds?

I used the magnets on a tin shed roof.

On the boat I have self tapped wooden battens also siliconed down that the panels connect to through a similar batten batten bolted to it with 4inch screws through to secure.
The moon's a balloon

#10 Ally

Ally

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

we made brackets from angle, to adjust for the roof curve, and drilled & tapped them on with security screws.
We have done a boat with magnets...incredibly strong, they won't be nicked!!
<p> http://www.beaconboa...o.uk/index.html
Now winding up the business following my work partners stroke...life! On the look out for a new job in the marine trade....anyone? Decent track record!

#11 pete23

pete23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

i make a few solar panel frames over a year.

there becoming more popular as time goes on it seems.

the frame i make has a U sshaped bracket on the underside, which is the attached to a bracket on the roof, bracket of owners chioce butmost are fixed on with these security type screws. a bit of a deterent i suppose.

#12 Grace & Favour

Grace & Favour

Long Standing Member

• Site Crew
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

My handrails are solid but there are a couple of gaps I could use.Are the taxi sign magnets scroteproof? Or could you bond the magnets to the roof for extra security?I know drilling and tapping is the obvious solution but don't want to do that if a better solution exists.Thanks for the ideas so far.

So - - I'd weld brackets to your handrails, , , and then I'd screw the panels to the brackets using security screws

(scrotes can still remove the security screws - - but it's a much longer job to do so.

Magnets, whilst difficult to 'pull off' by hand, are extremely easy to lever off with a jemmy or stave - - I use many magnets on our boat - - but not for anything as valuable as solar panels

I like collecting recipes

I now have a greater number of recipes than the likely number of days remaining to me!

Don't waste time thinking about what's wrong with yourself. Instead, focus on what's wrong with other people.

#13 Julynian

Julynian

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts
  • Boat Name:Julynian

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:27 AM

I'm also planing some solar panels and will be building a timber frame for them as the array will be 2 metres x 1.6 metres and weigh well over 50kg, a bit to big to be nicked, well hopefully Posted Image

Whilst trying o sort out our array I looked a several options. The cos of the stand off brackets for these panels to fix to roofs surfaces etc are ridiculous so I'll be making my own from alloy angle at a fraction of he cost.

I've seen some panels on boats not fixed as people like to move them around and tilt them, but have chain fixed to them to secure them to the boat. Not the optimum security but some deterrent.

Ref magnets These below from E bay are brilliant and rubber coated and very reasonably priced sold in pairs, I would challenge anyone to pull one of these of directly they stick that good. I have to lever them off sideways to remove them, really good for securing stuff on the roof though.

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1900wt_1154

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.

My Blog. http://www.canalworl...=1

#14 cotswoldsman

cotswoldsman

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts
  • Boat Name:Gemma Joy

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

I went with screwing them into roof.
Posted Image

John

Gemma Joy

Visit My Website

#15 Julynian

Julynian

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

I went with screwing them into roof.
Posted Image

Hi Cotswold man.

Very tidy job.

Can I ask how the centre knob attaches to the solar panel frame. I haven't bought the panels yet a don't know how much you can intrude into the frames, screw depth, holes etc.

And he bracket is also very neat, is this off the shelf or home made? And finally what size panel is that, looks like 80 amp?

Julian

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.

#16 matty40s

matty40s

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,988 posts
  • Boat Name:Old Friends

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hi Cotswold man.
Very tidy job.
Can I ask how the centre knob attaches to the solar panel frame. I haven't bought the panels yet a don't know how much you can intrude into the frames, screw depth, holes etc.
And he bracket is also very neat, is this off the shelf or home made? And finally what size panel is that, looks like 80 amp?
Julian

John designs and machines stuff like that every day in his on board workshop and lab.
He is currently working on a new revolutionary 12V power supply for digital TV reception ariels.

;)

#17 Julynian

Julynian

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

John designs and machines stuff like that every day in his on board workshop and lab.
He is currently working on a new revolutionary 12V power supply for digital TV reception ariels.

;)

An engineer then, Respect!

#18 JDR

JDR

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Very tidy job.

Agreed, I'd be very happy if my panel bracket ended up looking as good as that. If that is homemade I reckon there is a ready market for them.

#19 Paringa

Paringa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Boat Name:Paringa

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

In order to get an air gap i put mine on bobbins that i cut out of a stainles steel pipe an inch or two in width and the same in diameter. I put a square of rubber between the roof and the bobbin with a bit of mastic just to seal it then bolted the whole lot rhough using stainless bolts and nut lock. It is never really intended to come off. It is secure but of course lays flat on the roof.

#20 jakub

jakub

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Boat Name:Sarah Ann

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

I have got L - shape, corner mounts, which I simply glued to the roof. I bought them of eBay. They look very presentable although they will not allow you to rotate the panel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users