#1 alan_fincher

alan_fincher

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,854 posts
  • Boat Name:"Sickle" and "Chalice"

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

So, when Roger Hanbury of the Waterways Trust, (or more accurately Brenda Adams, of the same trust, on his behalf), sent me the news of the 4 elected candidates, should they not have hidden the full email addresses of the 33 candidates it was sent to ?

Probably not illegal, but certainly "clumsy" in my view - I get more than enough SPAM as it is!

Now who would like the email addresses of the four successful elected candidates, so they can have direct access to them to mail them their issues and concerns! :lol:

Also, I still don't fully understand why it is The Waterways Trust that is first to tell me who was elected......../

We are boating now with just "Sickle".,
We had a great time at Audlem for the Festival of Transport at the weekend, (Sat 26th to Sun 27th July).

We are now back at Market Drayton on the "Shroppie".

Planned next event.......

Sat 23rd - Mon  25th Aug - Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering

Narrow boats SICKLE and CHALICE blog

#2 fuzzyduck

fuzzyduck

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts
  • Boat Name:Fuzzy Duck

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

Also, I still don't fully understand why it is The Waterways Trust that is first to tell me who was elected......../

Yeah, somebody slipped up, it should have been the IWA.
Commodore
Anarchists Boat Club.

#3 Cosmic

Cosmic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

It would have been perfectly straightforward to put the addresses in the BCC list instead of sending it to everybody.

It is probably just clumsy, but it gives away information about people that they don't want given away.

And it's dangerous. For example, perhaps I could write to a candidate's HR department, pretend to be them, tell them that I'm getting married and moving house, and that I'd now like my salary paid into my new wife's bank account. I know that one wouldn't really work in practice, but there are certainly possibilities for social engineering based on little snippets of information like that.

#4 fuzzyduck

fuzzyduck

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts
  • Boat Name:Fuzzy Duck

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

Watch this story and find out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-16846042
Commodore
Anarchists Boat Club.

#5 Higgs

Higgs

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Now who would like the email addresses of the four successful elected candidates, so they can have direct access to them to mail them their issues and concerns! :lol:

Well, there's one thing for sure - I won't be going to the IWA site to find out boat council group business. The IWA is a non bona fide contact address..

Regards to you and Dave mayall. And - all of the independents who had a go.

#6 mayalld

mayalld

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,919 posts
  • Boat Name:Mr Jinks

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

So, when Roger Hanbury of the Waterways Trust, (or more accurately Brenda Adams, of the same trust, on his behalf), sent me the news of the 4 elected candidates, should they not have hidden the full email addresses of the 33 candidates it was sent to ?

Probably not illegal, but certainly "clumsy" in my view - I get more than enough SPAM as it is!

Actually, yes it is a breach of the Data Protection Act. They were supplied with the e-mail address for the sole purpose of communicating with the candidates. Disclosing that e-mail address to the other candidates is an unauthorised disclosure.
--
Dave Mayall

#7 CV32

CV32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Boat Name:NB Boughton

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

and the data protection registrar will do ..... nothing.

I wonder how we will actually get to communicate with our new successful candidates ? unless Alan posts the now public email addresses :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users