Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

cool.png

Is that 1L2 a true marine engine?

Unlikely - it was developed by Gardner's as a laboratory engine with many differences to the multi-cylinder versions including piston.

I suspect it was used by Gardner's as a test platform for components fitted to later models since it remained in production well after the other L2's were superceeded by the LW's. For example the crank was beefed up in 1954 to cope better with the 16hp @ 1600 rpm they were extracting from it by then, way above the normal L2's rpm.

Edited by by'eck
  • Greenie 1

Unlikely - it was developed by Gardner's as a laboratory engine with many differences to the multi-cylinder versions including piston.

I suspect it was used by Gardner's as a test platform for components fitted to later models since it remained in production well after the other L2's were superceeded by the LW's. For example the crank was beefed up in 1954 to cope better with the 16hp @ 1600 rpm they were extracting from it by then, way above the normal L2's rpm.

That's true in a sense, but that was later on. It started as a stationary engine, for generators etc. and particularly marine auxiliaries. I'm 99.9% certain that a marine propulsion version was never made. Trinity House had quite a few of them for lightships etc.

That one looks like a generator engine, the laboratory engine had a much lighter flywheel, certainly the later ones did.

The 'beefing up' was done mainly by using standard LW components. The continuation of production was probably partly because there was demand for a small auxiliary engine - for instance they were sometimes 'attached' to L3 marine propulsion engines - and later because of demand for the 'laboratory' version. Oil companies used to use them for testing fuels, for instance.

Tim

Edited by Timleech
  • Greenie 1

Interesting that above has been re-listed here although previously bid up to £2250. Admittedly bidder did have zero feedback but the next highest was only £200 behind. Never seen this done before.

Still with quoted £5.20 postage charge I note rolleyes.gif

Very interesting. No idea what has happened there then, other than perhaps a significant misdescription in the original listing.

I meant to comment previously that from the photo, it appear to be installed very close to the hull side so is probably in use as a generator rather than for propulsion.

MtB

Hi,

I have come across a couple of narrowboats fitted with a 1L2, they are generally underpowered, one owner said the 4mph speed limit was 'a target rarely achieved.'

They crop up as stationary engine exhibits at steam fairs and I think one drives the air compressor used to start the Gardner H13 - a magnificent trailer mounted open crank engine (a huge beautiful beast).

I will try to look a film I have of various Gardners taken at a show if anybody wants to see them in action.

L

Very interesting. No idea what has happened there then, other than perhaps a significant misdescription in the original listing.

I meant to comment previously that from the photo, it appear to be installed very close to the hull side so is probably in use as a generator rather than for propulsion.

MtB

I think (a) it was 'sold' off ebay & the buyer backed out, and

(b ) it's an auxiliary in a commercial vessel. Look at the cable trays etc.

Maybe the 'buyer' thought it was ready to go as a propulsion engine.

The information in the listing is very sparse.

I can think of two small tugs in the area which could possibly fit the bill.

Tim

Kromhout Gardner 3LW

I don't know if this is of interest to anyone. Seems like a good price - €750

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/watersport-en-boten/bootonderdelen/m778312407-kromhout-gardner-3lw.html?c=efb2ef4dc323389c4f92ed10afa33e3a&previousPage=lr#

My dutch is a lot rusty but I think that is actually a request for help re-assembling it. as the text says its dismantled.

Edited by martyn 1

Don't know why this engine http://bit.ly/1eTkx2T hasn't sold, this is the third time of being listed and no bids. Are parts are still available to covert this from an industrial unit to marine unit or am I missing something?? A new ha2 engine/ gearbox from real-diesel will cost around £4750. Is this engine worth the time and effort or should I just buy the £4750 one.

Darren

Don't know why this engine http://bit.ly/1eTkx2T hasn't sold, this is the third time of being listed and no bids. Are parts are still available to covert this from an industrial unit to marine unit or am I missing something?? A new ha2 engine/ gearbox from real-diesel will cost around £4750. Is this engine worth the time and effort or should I just buy the £4750 one.

Darren

needs a box...prm260 £1400.......electric start,flywheel,starter,bell housing if you can find one and if you can find someone that will sell it you..adapter made to take the gearbox...variable throttle...so after a load of hasstle youll only ever have a coverted industrial engine.and it looked smokey in the video....so the answer is yes and it can be done cheaply if youve got the tackle to make all the bits yourself...if youve got to start farming jobs out its going to cost big money...................................

needs a box...prm260 £1400.......electric start,flywheel,starter,bell housing if you can find one and if you can find someone that will sell it you..adapter made to take the gearbox...variable throttle...so after a load of hasstle youll only ever have a coverted industrial engine.and it looked smokey in the video....so the answer is yes and it can be done cheaply if youve got the tackle to make all the bits yourself...if youve got to start farming jobs out its going to cost big money...................................

You forgot the engine mounts ;)

Too expensive for what it is, IMO.

Tim

Is anybody here interested in another 1L2?

I've been emailed by a bloke in Scotland who has one he removed from a commercial vessel and was on the point of weighing it in for scrap and decided he couldn't bear to.So he googled vintage engines and amongst the results my contact details came up! I'm not interested but I'll forward his email address to anyone here interested. PM me.

It was attached to a generator but slight damage was done when they were separated for craning out of the boat. That's about all I know.

MtB

<Oh God...>

How much?

Richard

He's inviting offers. I showed him the ebay sale where one made £2k but he says his is much scruffier than that. He initially was wanting to see it go to a good home mainly so may well still flog it for very little. I'll PM you his details.

MtB