#21 The Dog House

The Dog House

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,678 posts
  • Boat Name:The Dog House

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Just beyond the winding hole at the extent of Martins photo is an old concrete mooring which is quite good and within 5 mins walk of the pub.

Also, after the end of the LTM's and the run off is pretty straight and deep enough to moor up.

I am currently lobbying BW to review some of their LTM's around this area as half those at Salterforth are unoccupied and all but 20ft at Greenberfield Bottom Lock.

Greenberfield Top LTM's would make great VM's but are all occupied at the moment.

Thanks for clarifying Richard

- we once got a stern rebuff from a long term moorer at Greenberfield. 'Green as grass' hirers we were at the time and approached the (acres of free space) at the bottom lock not realising they were LTM's when out popped a little head from a side hatch and sternly shouted 'you can't moor here they're private'. :rolleyes:

I think the last time we passed in August last year there wasn't a single boat on there, so yes it would be good if pressure could be brought to condense the LTM's at Salterforth and Greenberfield - it's a nice spot and it would improve passing the trade for the Anchor too.

Martin........

"I'm not arguing, I'm simply explaining why I'm right......" wink.png 

#22 Athy

Athy

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts
  • Boat Name:Trojan

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

I thought that one could moor on Long Term Moorings if they were vacant? We were told this a couple of years ago, by a long-term moorer at Newbold I think.
One step beyond

#23 The Dog House

The Dog House

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,678 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

I thought that one could moor on Long Term Moorings if they were vacant? We were told this a couple of years ago, by a long-term moorer at Newbold I think.

My understanding is you can't - they are often signed -

Long Term Moorings - permit holders only.

Which I've always taken to mean it's a no no (apart from when the guy I referred to above told us we'd be OK for one night.)

Martin........

#24 jonathanA

jonathanA

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Boat Name:Ivys lot

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Just beyond the winding hole at the extent of Martins photo is an old concrete mooring which is quite good and within 5 mins walk of the pub.

Also, after the end of the LTM's and the run off is pretty straight and deep enough to moor up.

I am currently lobbying BW to review some of their LTM's around this area as half those at Salterforth are unoccupied and all but 20ft at Greenberfield Bottom Lock.

Greenberfield Top LTM's would make great VM's but are all occupied at the moment.

yes and there's a long stretch of lovely moorings that are marked as LTM, north of the half dozen or so permanent moorers but clealry no one has moored there for a long time...

We were forced to use them last summer when barrowford locks were closed and we needed to leave the boat until they re-opened. There was about 3 or 4 boats at least who had to do the same and didn't seem to cause anyone a problem !

Good luck with the lobbying Richard.

apologies to the poster for wandering a bit from his topic !

#25 pomkitanner

pomkitanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

yes and there's a long stretch of lovely moorings that are marked as LTM, north of the half dozen or so permanent moorers but clealry no one has moored there for a long time...

We were forced to use them last summer when barrowford locks were closed and we needed to leave the boat until they re-opened. There was about 3 or 4 boats at least who had to do the same and didn't seem to cause anyone a problem !

Good luck with the lobbying Richard.

apologies to the poster for wandering a bit from his topic !

No appologies needed - all very interesting, even if i am half a world away. Had to hang in there a while to discover meaning of LTM though ! How about 'A great VM ' ? Cant figure that one
The world is like a book,those who do not travel read only one page .

#26 The Dog House

The Dog House

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,678 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

No appologies needed - all very interesting, even if i am half a world away. Had to hang in there a while to discover meaning of LTM though ! How about 'A great VM ' ? Cant figure that one

Sorry bad form of us to slip into abbreviations.

You've figured LTM.

VM is Visitor mooring - which are short term usually 24/48 hours but can be longer. Usually found in popular spots like villages and towns.

Martin........

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users