Dodgy digital.

Featured Posts

I suppose its worth subscribing to ''Which''to check all these things out.

Unfortunately the one I linked to earlier is now out of stock - it is the same model apparently as the 'help scheme' are using for those people eligible for govt. help to get their TV's ready for digital.

Other equally cheap models are still available however -

http://www.ebuyer.com/281052-tvonics-mdr-251-freeview-set-top-box-noh-w-to-mdr-251

or if you want to pay more - more well known branded ones with recording facility can be had too

http://www.ebuyer.com/264355-philips-hdt8520-500gb-pvr-freeview-hd-digital-recorder-grade-a-w-p3-hdt8520b

We are due for the big switch over at home this September and the TV ad's reminding us of this are just kicking in.

Edited by MJG

Unfortunately the one I linked to earlier is now out of stock - it is the same model apparently as the 'help scheme' are using for those people eligible for govt. help to get their TV's ready for digital.

I'm not surprised they've run out. Reading on other forums, it seems the "engineers" in some areas were on a bonus scheme related to the number of boxes they fitted, so they've been visiting old folk whose newish digital TV's had been perfectly tuned already - perhaps by friends or relatives - and "retuning" them so that they picked up nothing (by removing the aerial first, or by simply selecting "analogue TV" on the remote) and then providing the new box to rectify the problem.

Other equally cheap models are still available however -

http://www.ebuyer.com/281052-tvonics-mdr-251-freeview-set-top-box-noh-w-to-mdr-251

or if you want to pay more - more well known branded ones with recording facility can be had too

http://www.ebuyer.com/264355-philips-hdt8520-500gb-pvr-freeview-hd-digital-recorder-grade-a-w-p3-hdt8520b

We are due for the big switch over at home this September and the TV ad's reminding us of this are just kicking in.

OK.Thanks for that Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that i've got over the anguish of it all, stopped weeping and have gathered myself back together once more i am now able to face the world again and at last capable of explaining whats been going on with my television viewing arrangements.

My magnificent and wonderful Matsui television set is no longer magnificent and wonderful,it finally went pop!so had to be put down,its funeral was yesterday.The wretched s---------g THOMSON dodgybox which i hold fully responsible for the popping of the Matsui TV has been ''SEEN TO'' with a pick-axe and no longer graces this planet, in one piece anyway.

I have since splashed out on the latest TV state of the art technology offering, a 16'' Goodmans LED tv set at £89-99,nothing like the build quality of the old Matsui but a puny little skinny thing obviously anorexic.However it works, although the screen and sound quality do not come up the the high quality of the magnificent Matsui,i expected this and got it.

This new Goodmans LED 1616 tv instrument is powered by a mains adapter converting to 12vdc which is common nowadays.

IT works ok on the mains and my massively powerful 180watt perverter also.

I know i've reached this punch line in a rather round-about way but i could do with a 12VDC to 12VDC voltage stabilizer or regulator like i use on my sandwich toaster style laptop pc purchased at maplins although that one,a NIKKAI A33HU does not have a 12vdc to 12vdc select,everything under the sun but,just my luck.

I will have a search on-line later for one,although i suppose i could have done that instead of typing all this.

So can anyone recommend a 12vdc to 12vdc voltage stabilizer,as i'm not risking plugging the new TV instrument directly into my boats 12v supply for fear of popping it,as it states in the instructions for domestic household use only.

Thanks in advance, Bizzard. Amen.

So can anyone recommend a 12vdc to 12vdc voltage stabilizer,as i'm not risking plugging the new TV instrument directly into my boats 12v supply for fear of popping it,as it states in the instructions for domestic household use only.

Thanks in advance, Bizzard. Amen.

Our TV came with an Amperor 12v-12v stabiliser which google will find for you. Not at the boat now so can't get the part number. Phil at Boatshare seems to sell something similar (http://www.boatshare.co.uk/12voltregulator/index.htm). (No connection other than as an ex-customer of his old job at ex-Ownerships).

Maplin do a suitable one - Universal 3A DC Power Supply A92JH. This is much cheaper than the Amperor and is fine for your TV. However, a suitable plug may not come with it, you probably need a 5.5/2.1mm plug. I think Maplin may do them separately which just plug in, or I just soldered two wires on to one of the unsuitable plugs, and then to the correct one which Maplin do, to save cutting the cable and invalidating the warranty.

Richard

Many thanks chaps.

I'll hit Maplins on Friday after i've finished a job i'm doing and check them out.

Thanks again. bizzard.

My sugestion is hit Maplins, see what they have got , then google it online.

The simple bit I got the other day to fix a piece of kit was 39p online, Maplins 1.49.

They have got loads more solar panels available this year too, at double or more the price of anyone else in the market.

My sugestion is hit Maplins, see what they have got , then google it online.

The simple bit I got the other day to fix a piece of kit was 39p online, Maplins 1.49.

They have got loads more solar panels available this year too, at double or more the price of anyone else in the market.

Funny you should say that Matty,now you've jogged my memory.We a have a little shop here,an ex Tandy shop now called O.S.Enterprises

where i've picked up hard to find electrical gadgets before.i might try them first,as they will almost certainly be cheaper than Maplins.

Funny you should say that Matty,now you've jogged my memory.We a have a little shop here,an ex Tandy shop now called O.S.Enterprises

where i've picked up hard to find electrical gadgets before.i might try them first,as they will almost certainly be cheaper than Maplins.

Most places are