• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Rod a mod from Tod

Rod a mod from Tod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

Has anybody used it? Is it any good? How do you apply it?

We have got a small leak getting in the boat some how when it rains and hopefully have managed to narrow it down to 3-4 places were it could be getting in. Either one of two portholes or the hooks which hold the tonneau cover over the stern to the cabin sides, so, i am thinking of giving them all a dose of CTCCC.

Is it a liquid that is applied liberally to seep into unseen cracks or something more like a silicon type application.

Ay-Thang-Yew.
Life is to short to polish a mushroom vent.

#2 Albion

Albion

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

We have got a small leak getting in the boat some how when it rains and hopefully have managed to narrow it down to 3-4 places were it could be getting in. Either one of two portholes or the hooks which hold the tonneau cover over the stern to the cabin sides, so, i am thinking of giving them all a dose of CTCCC.

Is it a liquid that is applied liberally to seep into unseen cracks or something more like a silicon type application.

Ay-Thang-Yew.

Yes, I've used it and it works. It is a thin whitish fluid that you apply to the crack and watch it run/wick away. Keep applying, allowing a small interval between each application, until eventually it doesn't wick away and then you are pretty sure that it has sealed the crack. I was always pleased with the results and it doesn't show like a gobbit of external sealant.
Roger

#3 jelunga

jelunga

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts
  • Boat Name:Lily Maud

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Yes, I've used it and it works. It is a thin whitish fluid that you apply to the crack and watch it run/wick away. Keep applying, allowing a small interval between each application, until eventually it doesn't wick away and then you are pretty sure that it has sealed the crack. I was always pleased with the results and it doesn't show like a gobbit of external sealant.
Roger

Isnt that a lovely word - Gobbit.
Oh to be at sea (edit to read Canal)
Lock Keepers rule. K. O?

#4 Chalky

Chalky

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts
  • Boat Name:Lady Jacqueline

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

If its portholes that are leaking is it the seal between the porthole casting and the glass or the porthole casting and the shell? If its between the casting and the shell it might be worth taking them out and re-fitting them with new sealing tape or mastic. We had a leak round a porthole caused by a screw hole and fitting new tape fixed it.

Only the truly enlightened know the sound of one pannier flapping. 

#5 Grace & Favour

Grace & Favour

Long Standing Member

• Site Crew
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

There's a couple of builders I know that could use some

I like collecting recipes

I now have a greater number of recipes than the likely number of days remaining to me!

Don't waste time thinking about what's wrong with yourself. Instead, focus on what's wrong with other people.

#6 Keeping Up

Keeping Up

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,103 posts
  • Boat Name:Keeping Up

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Captain Tolly's is the best product in the world !

(Edited because I can't type even short sentences without making mistakes)

Edited by Keeping Up, 14 February 2012 - 10:10 PM.

Allan

Visit the Keeping-Up website to see where we've been

#7 Radiomariner

Radiomariner

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Boat Name:Peppers Paw

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

Captain Tolly;s? Would not be without it..
Alan
BSS Examiner
Any comments by me on this forum do not
necessarily reflect the views of the BSS

#8 koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Boat Name:Yarwood motor, Braithwaite and Kirk butty

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

This product is the Marmite of the boating world.Posted Image

Personally I've found it the most useless sealant ever. It just runs away into a crack and disappears forever. It might be OK for miniscule, hairline cracks, but give me Marineflex every time for a real job.

#9 Burgiesburnin

Burgiesburnin

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:17 AM

Ay-Thang-Yew.

Sorry if this is hi-jacking the post but it is relevant to the topic and not worthy of a post of its own.

Is Pratley putty available in the UK? It profeses to be a South African product but the South Africans are very good at saying they invesnted something that no one else has advertised inventing.

Anyway, the putty comes in a box 6 x 12 cm with two strips, one for hardening. You take same quantities of the strips and mix them together. Knead into a crack or apply to both surfases that require joining. As Strong as steel after 10 minutes.
I used to drink a lot but now I can't think of anything that I am trying to forget.

#10 Roxy

Roxy

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Boat Name:Nuthatch

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

Sorry if this is hi-jacking the post but it is relevant to the topic and not worthy of a post of its own.

Is Pratley putty available in the UK? It profeses to be a South African product but the South Africans are very good at saying they invesnted something that no one else has advertised inventing.

Anyway, the putty comes in a box 6 x 12 cm with two strips, one for hardening. You take same quantities of the strips and mix them together. Knead into a crack or apply to both surfases that require joining. As Strong as steel after 10 minutes.

Yes its available to buy here in the UK :

http://www.markins.c...nks/pratley.htm

Back to OP I have used CTCCC on one of my windows, I had a leak and used some around the frame, this is brilliant stuff as it cured the leak almost instantly and I wouldnt be without it.

There's always someone worse of than you....

#11 bizzard

bizzard

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,717 posts
  • Boat Name:lady olga

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

This two pack rub together Epoxy putty has been around a long time.Another very good one is ''Milliput''can be sculptured with a wet finger and cures rock hard.Widely available mainly from hobby and model shops.

#12 rjasmith

rjasmith

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Boat Name:Shilla (just a shell at the mo!)

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

This product is the Marmite of the boating world.Posted Image

Personally I've found it the most useless sealant ever. It just runs away into a crack and disappears forever. It might be OK for miniscule, hairline cracks, but give me Marineflex every time for a real job.

I am a supporter of both Marineflex and CTCCC! I find Marineflex much better (and less expensive) than Sikaflex for general sealing but have known the occasional Marineflex joint to fail (usually on my roof prisms). However a quick application of CTCCC to the place where the Marineflex has lost its adhesion and the job is sorted.

Interesting stuff CTCCC. It looks to me (and smells like) a weak solution of natural latex. EG like Copydex glue or the stuff that was in those orange "glue pens" we used to have in the office in the days when "cut and paste" was much more of a literal operation!

For this reason I think it may have a limited life, especially when exposed to sunlight as like all natural rubber it will perish after a while.

However it is so easy to reapply if it does perish so I will go on doing that until the time comes to start again with the Marineflex and do a proper repair.

Richard

#13 Grace & Favour

Grace & Favour

Long Standing Member

• Site Crew
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

Snip>>

Interesting stuff CTCCC. It looks to me (and smells like) a weak solution of natural latex. EG like Copydex glue or the stuff that was in those orange "glue pens" we used to have in the office in the days when "cut and paste" was much more of a literal operation!

<<
Richard

Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack Cure is a low viscosity, specially blended, acrylic copolymer, emulsion-based product
Specification sheet

I like collecting recipes

I now have a greater number of recipes than the likely number of days remaining to me!

Don't waste time thinking about what's wrong with yourself. Instead, focus on what's wrong with other people.

#14 rjasmith

rjasmith

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack Cure is a low viscosity, specially blended, acrylic copolymer, emulsion-based product
Specification sheet

OK - sounds like it's a weak solution of PVA then which was my original thought when I first tried it. Still smells like Copydex though!!

Richard

#15 Albion

Albion

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

I am a supporter of both Marineflex and CTCCC! I find Marineflex much better (and less expensive) than Sikaflex for general sealing but have known the occasional Marineflex joint to fail (usually on my roof prisms). However a quick application of CTCCC to the place where the Marineflex has lost its adhesion and the job is sorted.

For this reason I think it may have a limited life, especially when exposed to sunlight as like all natural rubber it will perish after a while.

However it is so easy to reapply if it does perish so I will go on doing that until the time comes to start again with the Marineflex and do a proper repair.

Richard

Isn't the clue in the name though? Creeping crack cure will creep into cracks and cure where it cannot be exposed to sunlight so how is it going to degrade? There is nothing visible from the outside to the naked eye and that's why it is such a good product for the right application. It's not going to seal huge wide gaps, of course it isn't, but it's brilliant for those small fissures that would, otherwise, require removal of the fitting or a nasty in-decorative gobbit of sealant externally.
Roger

#16 rjasmith

rjasmith

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Isn't the clue in the name though? Creeping crack cure will creep into cracks and cure where it cannot be exposed to sunlight so how is it going to degrade? There is nothing visible from the outside to the naked eye and that's why it is such a good product for the right application. It's not going to seal huge wide gaps, of course it isn't, but it's brilliant for those small fissures that would, otherwise, require removal of the fitting or a nasty in-decorative gobbit of sealant externally.
Roger

As I was wrong and it isn't natural rubber but some form of PVAc perhaps it won't be so susceptible to sunlight after all but in the case of my prisms it's often the Marineflex/glass adhesion that fails slightly so there is sunlight exposure there, albeit the UV content of the sunlight that does the most damage should be reduced by the glass. In other types of "crack" of course you're right. I'm not knocking CTCCC though, I have found it very useful.

Richard

#17 smileypete

smileypete

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Ay-Thang-Yew.

Or try PVA glue as mentioned in this post

Evostik exterior/weatherproof 'Resin W' wood adhesive (blue bottle) is much less runny than the watery cheap stuff.

cheers,
Pete.

#18 Speedwheel

Speedwheel

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

If you look at the instructions on the back there is a line that says 'inject crack using hypodermic needle'.

#19 Radiomariner

Radiomariner

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Boat Name:Peppers Paw

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

If you look at the instructions on the back there is a line that says 'inject crack using hypodermic needle'.

Read the next line, (In the next coloumn) it says "inject in crack using hypodermic needle for overhead operation"
Alan
BSS Examiner
Any comments by me on this forum do not
necessarily reflect the views of the BSS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users