#41 koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts
  • Boat Name:Yarwood motor, Braithwaite and Kirk butty

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

KK alerted the meeting to a wonderful picture of an early stoppage at Cowroast where many working boats were held up by a stoppage caused by a water shortage, Cowroast was crowded with boats then - it would seem that history has repeated itself.

Leo.

Here it is:

Posted Image

It's quite a well known picture, but I've forgotten the source. I'll take it down if I'm infringing anyone's copyright.
What date would you say this was? I guess around 1900.

#42 muddywaters

muddywaters

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

It's all up here in Yorkshire, we have had rain for 29 days out of 30..

And here in Merseyside lol

Looking for a boat

#43 Catrin

Catrin

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Boat Name:Chalice and Sickle

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

Here it is:

Posted Image

It's quite a well known picture, but I've forgotten the source. I'll take it down if I'm infringing anyone's copyright.
What date would you say this was? I guess around 1900.

Difficult to say. The woman in the check dress towards the left looks like she's wearing a 'leg of mutton' sleeve - which came in around 1892/3 for the very fashionable (later for the less fashionable) - so 1900-ish is probably fairly likely.
The kids clothing is going to be difficult to date - childrens' clothing changed less than adults.
Cheers
Cath

“There are about 80 alien species visiting the earth through a portal in the Andes, and some of them look like people from Denmark and have been disguised as nuns…”
18_tea.gif
http://sickleandchal...blogspot.co.uk/ Sickle and Chalice blog
https://www.facebook...arrowBoatSickle - Facebook group

#44 alan_fincher

alan_fincher

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,115 posts
  • Boat Name:"Sickle" and "Chalice"

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

would of been handy if we had been told a few days earlier,then I could of crossed the summit in time

Still no stoppage notice on Waterscape, so not exactly sure when on Tuesday the planks will be going in.

(Jim's post only says "from Tuesday")

Assume you mean you are too far away to make it through by then ?

If a lock wheeler tomorrow would make the difference, I might be able to help......

Alan

The Stoke Bruerne Village at War this weekend (Sat 13th and Sunday 14th August) will probably be our last organised event of the year with "Sickle".

Please come and say hello, if you go.

Narrow boats SICKLE and CHALICE blog

#45 koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

Still no stoppage notice on Waterscape, so not exactly sure when on Tuesday the planks will be going in.

If a lock wheeler tomorrow would make the difference, I might be able to help......

Alan

I've had an update email from Jeff Whyatt as follows. I think there will be an official announcement tomorrow.

We will be lowering the operating levels of the Tring summit by 300mm from Wednesday 11th
January 2012 (am).
The immediate affected area is between :-

Lock 39, Startops Reservoir/Bluebells Café, and
Lock 49, Northchurch
(Nb there is a full stoppage already planned at Lock 49 from 23/01 to 03/02)

The above section will be CLOSED to through traffic and moored boats* from Wed 11th Jan
until further notice
Reduced operating levels (300mm min) will not allow boats to safely moor or navigate the section
A short section at Cowroast will be contained at normal levels through the implementation of
stop planks (between Lock 46 and New ground bridge, no. X). This will afford stability (although
immobility for moorers at Cowroast long term site and the marina)
The 2 locks (Lock 39 & 49) will be locked throughout, as others may be within the affected area
to avoid losses through misuse.
Aylesbury Arm, will continue to be locked against navigation and open to essential traffic only.
The operating levels of the Arm itself will be subject to further review and nil lockage will be the
target once the dredging team have vacated.
Additional local arrangements will be in place with Bulbourne dry dock to facilitate a restricted
occasional access

#46 alan_fincher

alan_fincher

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,115 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

I've had an update email from Jeff Whyatt as follows. I think there will be an official announcement tomorrow.

We will be lowering the operating levels of the Tring summit by 300mm from Wednesday 11th
January 2012 (am).
The immediate affected area is between :-

Lock 39, Startops Reservoir/Bluebells Café, and
Lock 49, Northchurch
(Nb there is a full stoppage already planned at Lock 49 from 23/01 to 03/02)

The above section will be CLOSED to through traffic and moored boats* from Wed 11th Jan
until further notice
Reduced operating levels (300mm min) will not allow boats to safely moor or navigate the section
A short section at Cowroast will be contained at normal levels through the implementation of
stop planks (between Lock 46 and New ground bridge, no. X). This will afford stability (although
immobility for moorers at Cowroast long term site and the marina)
The 2 locks (Lock 39 & 49) will be locked throughout, as others may be within the affected area
to avoid losses through misuse.
Aylesbury Arm, will continue to be locked against navigation and open to essential traffic only.
The operating levels of the Arm itself will be subject to further review and nil lockage will be the
target once the dredging team have vacated.
Additional local arrangements will be in place with Bulbourne dry dock to facilitate a restricted
occasional access

Thanks Jim,

What a crying shame their procedures can't get it on Waterscape before the weekend - how hard can that be, really. Couldn't they pay some officestaff overtime in view of its importance ?

Current arrangements could easily (from my reading of it) allow someone to unknowingly be moving, or about to move, North of Lock 49 or South of Lock 39, and effectively end up "locked in" when it could so easily have been avoided. Moreover as winding will be impossible below 49, anybody who unwittingly ends up there either faces a (very) long reverse back through several locks or...... (well no other option, really!......)

I'm not trying to shoot the messenger, Jim, as I know you will have indicated firmly to Whyatt the issues of no advanced warning, but honestly, if nothing is being done to stop people ending up "in a bad place" what a mess, really. :banghead:

The Stoke Bruerne Village at War this weekend (Sat 13th and Sunday 14th August) will probably be our last organised event of the year with "Sickle".

#47 nigel carton

nigel carton

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

I have a boat sat on the Chesterfield canal due to be delivered to Kingston upon Thames, looks like It may have to take the scenic route!

#48 sheriff

sheriff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

Alan

IM in Paddington basin.was going to stop at nash mills to see a mate for the day,then one week or less at bulborne to see some friends in bw,as I do on my outbound trip and the same inbound...
if I was aware saturday I could of pushed it to tring 50 locks in time from Paddington....I normally take 3 days solo ...

new plan of action cup of tea..will wait till tuesday then either go via the Thames and up the Oxford.....or creep slowly slowly to northchurch and wait.......which would not be good for me...dont like hanging around in places not conducive to my peace of mind thanks

#49 valrene9600

valrene9600

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Boat Name:VALERIE

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

Came through marsworth about 12 days ago. The journey was one of low pounds upto Berko. The pound below Rising Sun was very low and Gas locks had just a stream between them. Past Startops all the way to Slapton was dire with BW in attendance filling pounds so low they were un-usable.
Heading for Wales so hope fully the Dee will keep the Lannygolly wet providing i can get there.
PLEASE PLEASE RAIN
BOATS & CRUISING My link

#50 sheriff

sheriff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

just discovered cherstey lock is out of action on the Thames for repairs till march.....so we are all stuck.......need to find my rain dancers outfit.theres a boat behind me was renamed last year,it was called RAIN MAKER.............ha ha

#51 Lady Muck

Lady Muck

Long Standing Member

• Site Crew
  • 4,977 posts
  • Boat Name:nb Rallentando

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

Come back to the Lee, we'll have you! :D

#52 jenlyn

jenlyn

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

Come back to the Lee, we'll have you! :D

(mutters under breath) teachers pet
NARROWMINDEDWORLD there's no news like old news :-)

#53 nigel carton

nigel carton

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

just discovered cherstey lock is out of action on the Thames for repairs till march.....so we are all stuck.......need to find my rain dancers outfit.theres a boat behind me was renamed last year,it was called RAIN MAKER.............ha ha

Well thats just blown that plan out of the water!

#54 sheriff

sheriff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

Lady Muck.....or maybe Lady of The Lee.......you now have gone up to the most highest level for a civi in my very little book of wonderful people on the canals & rivers...

when I get back AFTER i get GOING from my trip I will of course pay homage to you.become your pesonal man servant.take your dog for walks,serve tea.moor opposite your boat and pay compliments on your wonderfullness....

#55 matty40s

matty40s

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,216 posts
  • Boat Name:Old Friends

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

......and how long do you think the water in the Lee will last once the funky Olympic boats start to fly up and down.............

I think that by the time the CART starts, there will be a total stoppage on the system, allowing the majestic swans to waddle through the muddy bridge holes as they wish.......

Edited by matty40s, 08 January 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#56 koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

What a crying shame their procedures can't get it on Waterscape before the weekend - how hard can that be, really. Couldn't they pay some officestaff overtime in view of its importance ?

Current arrangements could easily (from my reading of it) allow someone to unknowingly be moving, or about to move, North of Lock 49 or South of Lock 39, and effectively end up "locked in" when it could so easily have been avoided. Moreover as winding will be impossible below 49, anybody who unwittingly ends up there either faces a (very) long reverse back through several locks or...... (well no other option, really!......)

I'm not trying to shoot the messenger, Jim, as I know you will have indicated firmly to Whyatt the issues of no advanced warning, but honestly, if nothing is being done to stop people ending up "in a bad place" what a mess, really. :banghead:

I've emailed Jeff Whyatt to find out why boaters were given such short notice of the closure and he's kindly sent me a timetable of events leading up to the closure.

At then end of each boating season, late December, when lock movement is down to almost nothing, there is usually no extraction of water from the reservoirs into the canal. However, this year it was noted that the Tring summit was still demanding water at a much higher rate than would be warranted by the minimal lock movements.

Detailed recording was carried out over the Christmas break where it was discovered that 220 lockfuls of water per week were disappearing!

The first week back after the holidays was spent in deciding on the best course of action and further investigations revealed the true reason (see my first post) for this water loss.

On Friday last week BW met waterways business and modified their emergency plans. (Originally BW was going to lower the whole of the summit, including Cowroast marina) and on Saturday they met local boaters, who used this forum and the towpath telegraph to spread the news.

It could be argued that with all their sophisticated water monitoring equipment BW should have been aware earlier of the extent of the huge loss of water from the summit. Also, as Alan has pointed out, an extra couple of days' warning might have made a great deal of difference to boaters' plans. Notices on locks at strategic points would have been the easiest solution, since not everyone has access to Waterscape.

#57 Radiomariner

Radiomariner

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Boat Name:Peppers Paw

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

Should that not be "Thats blown the water out of the plan"!:lol:
Alan
BSS Examiner
Any comments by me on this forum do not
necessarily reflect the views of the BSS

#58 BlueStringPudding

BlueStringPudding

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,911 posts
  • Boat Name:Mabel Stark

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

Still no signage on Cow Roast lock. :angry: Been plenty of boat traffic passing through today - I've told a couple of them myself. I wonder how many are going to find themselves stuck somewhere without diesel/waterpoint/coal etc.
"Just seen a BW working boat come to a standstill with a fouled prop - The crew claimed it may take 2-3 hrs to clear !!!! so bowhauled the boat on the old blue string pudding." - benfordboy

"Am I in the distance yet?" - Bod

#59 jenlyn

jenlyn

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

its disgusting this, they have had a problem there since last june july time, tis a flippin joke
NARROWMINDEDWORLD there's no news like old news :-)

#60 alan_fincher

alan_fincher

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,115 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

IM in Paddington basin.was going to stop at nash mills to see a mate for the day,then one week or less at bulborne to see some friends in bw,as I do on my outbound trip and the same inbound...
if I was aware saturday I could of pushed it to tring 50 locks in time from Paddington....I normally take 3 days solo ...

Yep,

That ain't possible, is it ?

Only one day left, but if anyone is deperate for help to get past thr possible blocade tomorrow, I could probably be a spare windlass......

I've emailed Jeff Whyatt to find out why boaters were given such short notice of the closure and he's kindly sent me a timetable of events leading up to the closure.

At then end of each boating season, late December, when lock movement is down to almost nothing, there is usually no extraction of water from the reservoirs into the canal. However, this year it was noted that the Tring summit was still demanding water at a much higher rate than would be warranted by the minimal lock movements.

Detailed recording was carried out over the Christmas break where it was discovered that 220 lockfuls of water per week were disappearing!

The first week back after the holidays was spent in deciding on the best course of action and further investigations revealed the true reason (see my first post) for this water loss.

On Friday last week BW met waterways business and modified their emergency plans. (Originally BW was going to lower the whole of the summit, including Cowroast marina) and on Saturday they met local boaters, who used this forum and the towpath telegraph to spread the news.

It could be argued that with all their sophisticated water monitoring equipment BW should have been aware earlier of the extent of the huge loss of water from the summit. Also, as Alan has pointed out, an extra couple of days' warning might have made a great deal of difference to boaters' plans. Notices on locks at strategic points would have been the easiest solution, since not everyone has access to Waterscape.

Jim,

I'm sure we all know you are doing your best, and, without your meeting, most presumably still wouldn't know ? You are doing a grand service, but sadly BW isn't.

Waterscape ain't perfect but getting something on there when they met you would have added two days at least to the warning for some people.

You could argue that if it is 220 lock-fulls a week, that is "only" just over 30 lock-fulls a day, so keeping it open a couple of extra days is hardly going to make huge extra losses, is it?

Do they seriously believe that lowering by just a foot will save most of that 220 lock-fulls ? Realistically it is surely likely to be only part of it ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users