#1 FidoDido

FidoDido

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Boat Name:Rivendell

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hi all,

I've just bought a narrowboat with a Perkins MC42 engine from 1995. It needs (I think) new glow plugs, as it won't start unless you tickle it with a blowtorch down the inlet manifold, buit then she runs fine - no smoke or anything. I'm getting 12.5V at the glow plugs, so they must have burnt out. Will replace - from searching Lucas HDS241 or equivalent are what I need - anyone confirm this?

I've also found answers on here for oil filter and fuel filter. What is the normal service interval?

Could anyone tell me if they have solid tappets? If so, what valve clearances should I use?

Any more info would be great. I'll attempt to get a manual from DiPerk whenever they come back to work. It is mated to a PRM 160 gearbox. Looks like the gearbox gets oil from the engine - is that correct? Cant see any other dipstick.

Thanks for your help...

Rob.. NB Rivendell

#2 andywatson

andywatson

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Boat Name:Primus

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Obviously you got her. Well done.

I've only got experience of the PRM 500 but:

I think that the 150 gearbox uses engine oil (ie the same type of oil) but not the oil from the actual engine it's mounted to.

The dipstick is on the underside for the filler cap.
On a 500 it's like a flanged brass nut near the gearbox top.

Edited by andywatson, 26 December 2011 - 08:43 PM.

#3 FidoDido

FidoDido

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

Yep we got her.. Thanks for info. Will have a more thorough look... Wasn't looking for a filer cap. It's all a learning curve!

Cheers

Rob

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

Parkinsons in Nottingham should be a good place to look, they used to be by Lenton bridge over the canal, but now they are in Rani Drive NG5

#5 FidoDido

FidoDido

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

Ta for phone message.. Now downloaded PRM manual..

The boat is on the old west ouse at the moment.. So will be bringing her up to nottinham over the next month or two.. Need to get everything serviced first. She has hardly been used in the past 2 years.

Cheers

Rob

#6 Keeping Up

Keeping Up

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,113 posts
  • Boat Name:Keeping Up

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

For glowplugs give DiPerk a call on 01733 334500. They are in Peterborough and are the official supplier of spares for Perkins engines. Surprisingly they are also nearly always the cheapest source, cheaper than inferior copies. Their minimum order is £20 but that won't be a problem if you're ordering a set of 4, they were £18 each 5 years ago (haven't bought one since). The part number is 185366190. Changing them is an easy job - and I can confirm they don't like starting without them.

Postage is quick and free from Diperk too. It's worth ordering spare oil and fuel filters (parts number 140517050 and 130366120 respectively) while you're about it.

Perkins and DiPerk know the engine as type 104-19, series KF. Almost all the spares are still easily available. Normal oil change interval is stated as 100 hours but for canal use ignore that, I've always changed at 200 hours (as has every other MC42 owner I know including a major hire fleet) and I change the fuel filter and gearbox oil at alternate engine oil changes.

The tappets are solid but sorry I don't know the clearances, nor the sequencing. The boatyard has always done mine and even he has to look up the sequencing every time.

Mine is a PRM150 gearbox (pretty well the norm for MC42); it uses engine oil but doesn't get it from the engine, you have to top it up through the hole in the top which also contains the dipstick. The level is really hard to read with clean oil; it's easier to roll the stick on clean kitchen roll so it leaves a wet trail.

Edited to add, if you PM me an email address I can email you a copy of the 100-series manual for the 2 and 3 cylinder versions (ie types 102 and 103). AFAIK virtually everything the same should be the same for the 4 cylinder type 104.

Edited to add further - according to that manual the valve clearances are all 0.2mm (8 thou)

Edited by Keeping Up, 26 December 2011 - 09:29 PM.

Allan

Visit the Keeping-Up website to see where we've been

#7 FidoDido

FidoDido

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Thanks. Pm sent.

I'm not too far from Peterborough, so might go and collect.

0.2mm sounds about right. Same on VW and Lister. How often are tappers supposed to be reset?

Cheers

Rob

#8 Keeping Up

Keeping Up

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,113 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:09 PM

Thanks. Pm sent.

I'm not too far from Peterborough, so might go and collect.

0.2mm sounds about right. Same on VW and Lister. How often are tappers supposed to be reset?

Cheers

Rob

OK, email sent.

Check on the phone first, I'm not sure that collection is necessarily possible. Parts I've ordered have always been sent out from a depot somewhere else - and delivery is free anyway; it's always been by courier the next day.

The schedule says adjust the tappets every 600 hours. Mine have only been done about once every 2000 hours, and even then a couple of times have only been because the rocker assembly had been removed (the head hasn't been off yet, after 10,000 hours)

Edited to add: I was thinking about the odd coincidence of all four plugs having died at once - assuming you are measuring your voltage right at the plugs themselves and are certain that they have died - then I had one thought, which is to remember that these plugs are rated for a MAXIMUM of 12 seconds. Any longer than that and they may well die. If you are used to holding them for longer, such as on a BMC, then always count to yourself to avoid exceeding this limit.

Edited by Keeping Up, 26 December 2011 - 11:10 PM.

Allan

#9 andywatson

andywatson

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Boat Name:Primus

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

Just a thought.
Good oil (Morris's) is cheap in 25 litre Drums from Digraph, Ascot Drive, Derby.

#10 FidoDido

FidoDido

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

OK, email sent.

Check on the phone first, I'm not sure that collection is necessarily possible. Parts I've ordered have always been sent out from a depot somewhere else - and delivery is free anyway; it's always been by courier the next day.

The schedule says adjust the tappets every 600 hours. Mine have only been done about once every 2000 hours, and even then a couple of times have only been because the rocker assembly had been removed (the head hasn't been off yet, after 10,000 hours)

Edited to add: I was thinking about the odd coincidence of all four plugs having died at once - assuming you are measuring your voltage right at the plugs themselves and are certain that they have died - then I had one thought, which is to remember that these plugs are rated for a MAXIMUM of 12 seconds. Any longer than that and they may well die. If you are used to holding them for longer, such as on a BMC, then always count to yourself to avoid exceeding this limit.

Yeah - think the previous owner burnt them out. When I looked over the boat, it sounded like only one was working - tricky startup, but it did start. Now, it won't start at all, unless you tickle it with a blow-torch. I'll be sure not to exceed 12 seconds... I'm on a bit of a schedule, so if I can get them over the counter, it'll help.

Many thanks both of you for the info and help :D Off to halfords, as thats the only place open today..

#11 jelunga

jelunga

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts
  • Boat Name:Lily Maud

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

Like Allan aka Keeping Up, I also have an MC 42. I am lucky to have the original owners manual and even luckier to have the factory workshop manual. The pipes going from the gearbox to the engine are for oil cooling.
I am away from the boat af the moment but if you pm me with your email address I will send you a copy of the relevant sections of the manual for tappets and glow plugs. But Allen is right- no more than 12 seconds. I endorse what he says about Diperk. Cheaper and better than pattern parts.
Oh to be at sea (edit to read Canal)
Lock Keepers rule. K. O?

#12 FidoDido

FidoDido

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

New glow plugs did the trick.. She fires up nicely after about 5 seconds on the plugs. Changed the oil and filter too. Not tackled the gearbox, tappets or fuel filter yet. Need a breaker bar to get the gearbox fill hole cover off!!

Thanks for your help folks :)

Rob

#13 Keeping Up

Keeping Up

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,113 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

Posted Image
Allan

#14 Toad555

Toad555

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Boat Name:Gemini

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

I just bought nb Gemini which is also fitted with a Perkins MC42.

I need to replace the header tank cap as its fallen apart but DiPerk don't supply them and have pointed me at Duffields, does anyone have contact details for Duffields, I can't find anything about them anywhere.

Still trying locate a PDF workshop manual too if anyone has one.

#15 Keeping Up

Keeping Up

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,113 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

Have you read the replies when you asked the same questions here?

Duffields don't exist any more, just go to any car shop such as Halfords.
Allan

#16 Toad555

Toad555

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Boat Name:Gemini

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

Oops, missed these replies, yep sorry I asked the same Q's in two threads, didn't know there were any replies as forums I've used before send an email notification if someone replied. I'm just checking to see if I turned this off somewhere.

#17 wicksie

wicksie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Boat Name:perseverance

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

Hi Folks, I too am a proud owner of a 'Perky' and my only two problems are with the engine mounts and engine paint colour.  Can anyone enlighten mean as to the original Duffields engine mounts and colour?  Many thanks Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users