63 replies to this topic

#21 Ally

Ally

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

Ventnor seemed to have decent security last time I was there.
<p> http://www.beaconboa...o.uk/index.html
Now winding up the business following my work partners stroke...life! On the look out for a new job in the marine trade....anyone? Decent track record!

#22 Secret Garden

Secret Garden

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Boat Name:No boat anymore

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:41 PM

[quote name='Ray T' timestamp='1323887972' post='796395']
Which part of Ventnor do you moor?

Were the boats which were broken into all in the same part?

We have our boat there.

Phase 2 again I'm told...
Steve,

[quote name='mrsmelly' timestamp='1323889476' post='796407']
I thought the idea was you payed exorbitant mooring fees for the SECURITY of leaving your boat in a Marina...........I cant see any other benefits they offer over many linear mooring spots.

More security than your average tow path linear mooring yes, but also pontoons, wardens, power, parking, service block.
Nothing's infallible of course but you make your choice & pay your money.
500 extra for floating caravan park "luxuries" over BW's s@d all is my choice, now i'm not live aboard.

#23 Ray T

Ray T

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts
  • Boat Name:Croxton Flash

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

"Phase 2 again I'm told...
Steve,"

You have a PM.

Ray T

Don't make plans anymore, have dreams instead.

He who forgets history often learns a painful lesson.

"All he's learnt is churning up the mud and knocking down the banks and that is all he will ever know, I can tell you that.
'ere hand up a bit more grub".

#24 petro

petro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Boat Name:kingfisher

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

Hi Again folks

Apparently five boats broken into in phase 2 close to area by bottom lock.
Nothing nicked; but nothing of real value left on board anyway. But whoever ?? busted in by forcing the side hatch.
Fixed new bolts so all secure. Think I need to add a steel bar.

Police do not want to know and are not visiting the marina as it is not classed as a burglary becuase no one was on board the boats affected.
So it appears that it is perfectly ok to cause criminal damage. Wonderful huh

So if it was Finchy, don't do me again mate go and pick on someone else !

#25 Tim

Tim

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Boat Name:Life, the Universe and Everything

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

"Phase 2 again I'm told...
Steve,"

You have a PM.

Umm, again? has there been a problem there before?
Tim Cadle
The answer is 42
All the latest at: Tims Boating Adventures
I accept no responsibility for you being bored and falling asleep should you click on the above!

#26 matty40s

matty40s

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,980 posts
  • Boat Name:Old Friends

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

When I was looking to buy my boat, one was moored at Ventnor Farm.
This was on sale through a VERY reputable broker.
I was given the gate code and told to meet the marina staff at the boat at a certain time. I arrived very early, and wandered around for an hour, unhindered.
The staff arrived, showed me the boat, started the engine up, and the rest is history.

However, I may not have bought, and still had the gate code.

#27 Meggers

Meggers

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Boat Name:Mr Bunbury

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

But reputed to be ex-SAS

Unlikely. If he was ex-SAS he could find all the food and shelter he needs in the woods.
Martin.

I love the smell of woodsmoke in the morning.

#28 matty40s

matty40s

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,980 posts
  • Boat Name:Old Friends

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:57 PM

Unlikely. If he was ex-SAS he could find all the food and shelter he needs in the woods.

shows your knowledge, SAS take what is there at little or no risk, in any place, to survive.
boats moored empty for 14 days on moorings, or boats moored in marinas for 11 months of the year are easy targets for shelter, and food.

#29 Gazboatman

Gazboatman

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Boat Name:Unknown

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

shows your knowledge, SAS take what is there at little or no risk, in any place, to survive.
boats moored empty for 14 days on moorings, or boats moored in marinas for 11 months of the year are easy targets for shelter, and food.

And alcohol.

#30 Higgs

Higgs

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:07 AM

Beats eating bugs and setting traps.

#31 nina

nina

• Ex-Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

Being a business, we receive Neighbourhood Watch alerts regularly and there are a lot more thefts and break ins happening regardless of where you're moored. I know a couple who won't leave their boat following a recent spate of opportunist break ins. One stays on board while the other goes off to do the shopping, etc. It's the time of year mostly plus the general economy and metal is a big attraction too. Our latest NW alert is trying to tackle the laws surrounding scrap dealers who obviously deal in metal. You just have to be extra careful and make sure everything is out of sight or locked away.

#32 claudia

claudia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Boat Name:claudia

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:26 AM

What a world we live in I am a gas engineer and nearly on a daily basis I am getting calls from people saying there gas pipe from the meter into the property has been taken, and this is with the gas still on!!

#33 nina

nina

• Ex-Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:27 AM

You can register to get Neighbourhood Watch alerts straight to your inbox. They have a section on canals and boats so by ticking this box and providing your area code, you can get instant alerts on any problems in that area. Gives you some warning & description at least.

http://www.ourwatch.org.uk/

#34 nina

nina

• Ex-Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:38 AM

What a world we live in I am a gas engineer and nearly on a daily basis I am getting calls from people saying there gas pipe from the meter into the property has been taken, and this is with the gas still on!!

We have a shop in a pretty little market town. Never had a problem then a couple of weeks ago, two women came in together, nothing wrong with that, looked at all the bags then left without buying. Several days later, I heard the door open on the ground floor and by the time we'd got downstairs from the first floor sales area, one of the women had come back and taken several bags! I've never had this in my premises before but it's a regular practise now. And we have the HART scheme too. After Christmas, we will be rearranging the whole shop to prevent further stealing. Or at least make it harder to do.

#35 Ray T

Ray T

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts
  • Boat Name:Croxton Flash

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:32 AM

We have a shop in a pretty little market town. Never had a problem then a couple of weeks ago, two women came in together, nothing wrong with that, looked at all the bags then left without buying. Several days later, I heard the door open on the ground floor and by the time we'd got downstairs from the first floor sales area, one of the women had come back and taken several bags! I've never had this in my premises before but it's a regular practise now. And we have the HART scheme too. After Christmas, we will be rearranging the whole shop to prevent further stealing. Or at least make it harder to do.

Mrs T volunteers at the local PDSA shop. On one day in October someone stole six pairs of slippers whilst their accomplice distracted the staff. The manager says she has never known such a high level of theft in 15 years - even 10p paperbacks are targeted.

Ray T

Don't make plans anymore, have dreams instead.

He who forgets history often learns a painful lesson.

"All he's learnt is churning up the mud and knocking down the banks and that is all he will ever know, I can tell you that.
'ere hand up a bit more grub".

#36 nina

nina

• Ex-Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-16180671

#37 claudia

claudia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Boat Name:claudia

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

It just begs belief Nina where will it end, the country has gone mad.

#38 nina

nina

• Ex-Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

I think when you spend so much time on a narrowboat, you become very detached from the real world until the real world pays you a visit. Then it seems like a big shock. Really though, not much has changed. It does pay to stay in touch with what's going on in your local area. We find those local NW email alerts very informative & helpful. Even though our boat is in a marina, and I have to say, we've never had problems, narrowboats generally are exposed to the potential for break ins because the opportunity is there for them to be broken into unless someone is on board all the time. I used to attend community business meetings and the police officer always used to say that theft only happens if there is an opportunity. Basically, it's down to us to make sure we secure everything as much as possible.

Even the shop lifter is a different breed these days and much more brazen. The women who stole the bags from my shop are far more likely to be well healed professionals who have maxed out their credit cards but still want to go shopping, rather than desperado's. Seen it all in retail :-)I think stealing lead & copper is an age old problem isn't it? They need to focus on scrap dealers and stop the flow of cash transactions. New regulations, the tax man and a paper trail would slow it down.

#39 WotEver

WotEver

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Boat Name:Wot Ever

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

... we have the HART scheme too.

What's that? Google wasn't any help.

Tony

#40 nina

nina

• Ex-Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

What's that? Google wasn't any help.

Tony

It's a radio intercom scheme where shops and businesses are linked together to share information and immediately alert each other in the case of shop theft and suspicious behaviour. Think it's linked to the local police too. It's good, it works well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users