Lister SR2

Featured Posts

I have found diesel in the sump of my SR2 and thi is causing over heating and excessive smoke, can any one suggest how this is happening and a cure?

3 main ways this could happen;

one is the fuel life pump diaphragm leaking and diesel setting in through its opening in the crankcase - this is most likely if there are large quantities of diesel

2nd is the pipes between the fuel pump rack and the injectors leaking or the joints to pump or injectors (least likely)

3rd is the leak off pipes split inside the rocker covers (very common but easy to spot)

Edited by Chris Pink

3 main ways this could happen;

one is the fuel life pump diaphragm leaking and diesel setting in through its opening in the crankcase - this is most likely if there are large quantities of diesel

2nd is the pipes between the fuel pump rack and the injectors leaking or the joints to pump or injectors (least likely)

3rd is the leak off pipes split inside the rocker covers (very common but easy to spot)

I'd bet on No. 3 !

The actual cause is overheating. When Listers overheat due to clogged cooling fins oil leaks then follow. Your engine was probably not maintained so the oil leaks will follow on. After all, they're old engines and most people just leave them under the engine boards.

I have found diesel in the sump of my SR2 and thi is causing over heating and excessive smoke, can any one suggest how this is happening and a cure?