Canal art

Featured Posts

Terence does courses, you'd have to travel though.

http://www.canalartb...ingCourses.html

This guy's in Cheshire:

http://homepage.ntlw...painter/pg1.htm

Or Lisa off this forum

http://www.roses-castles.co.uk/home

No idea where she's based.

Ron Hough from Braunston will paint your back doors if you take them to him.

Sorry don't know his address.

Edited by Ray T

This guy's in Cheshire:

Or Lisa off this forum

I was with Ron this week, If you want his phone number PM me.

In the meantime here is a list of accredited craftsmen. You need to look at the Coach & Boat Painter and Decorative Painting sections:-

http://www.waterwayscraftguild.org.uk/directory.htm#COACH_&_BOAT_PAINTING

Edited by David Schweizer

GalleryRoses & Castles

This guy's in Cheshire:

Or Lisa off this forum

I'm on the GU in Hertforshdire at the moment (Lisa), but can travel up to Manchester if need be. Or if you want detachable panels painted PM me the dimensions of the your doors and I can cut and paint panels and send them up to you to screw onto your stern doors. That's what I did for Nb Shadows (spooky blue panels on my gallery page: http://www.roses-castle.co.uk/gallery )

Traditional or contemporary - I'm happy.

:cheers:

I have tried doing some myself I have the book by Anne Young. My wife has tried too. she has done some on the computer in a graphics programme but they would have to be decals as you can only print them. I did think of getting a stencil made . but I don't know. I don't have time to go on course either I work long hours and only get one day off which is Sundays most weeks.

thanks everyone though looks like I may have to get someone to do them but they are heavy to send to someone.

Steve

There is nothing to stop you trying yourself, there are at least 2 DVD`s/videos, Phil Speights and Tony Lewery`s. Craftmaster do a starter kit, including instructions, paint and brushes. Although I am not over impressed with the brushes in the kit, it is a starting point.

IMHO dont waste your time with childrens paint brushes and Humbrol enamel, you will get far better results with the correct tools and materials. Terances course is well worth the effort if you get keen, he points you in the right direction and in fact will prove in the weekend that a complete beginner can produce an acceptable project that, at the course I was on, surprised a lot of the participants.

It is not rocket science, give it a try, you may well be surprised.

There is nothing to stop you trying yourself, there are at least 2 DVD`s/videos, Phil Speights and Tony Lewery`s. Craftmaster do a starter kit, including instructions, paint and brushes. Although I am not over impressed with the brushes in the kit, it is a starting point.

IMHO dont waste your time with childrens paint brushes and Humbrol enamel, you will get far better results with the correct tools and materials. Terances course is well worth the effort if you get keen, he points you in the right direction and in fact will prove in the weekend that a complete beginner can produce an acceptable project that, at the course I was on, surprised a lot of the participants.

It is not rocket science, give it a try, you may well be surprised.

If you have a natural Artistic flair, then it may be possible to produce acceptable roses and castles after a brief amount of tuition, but frankly I would not put most of the Amateur efforts that I have seen on a can let alone a boat.

I consider myself to be moderately artistic, and after hours of watchuing Ron Hough and even more hiour opractuicing, I have reached the stage where I can produce reasonable roses, for use on internal panels, but my castles are still like something out of a Disney film.:-

MyRoses01.jpg

bcan01a.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

I have tried doing some myself I have the book by Anne Young.

Steve

So what went wrong...?? I ask because I am doing exactly the same myself from the very same book. I wont be defacing anything that fixed to the boat..only things that I can quickly paint over or throw away. As you can tell I am very confident in my abilities as an artist.

God I am crap..I have absolutely no idea of shadowing, shape, form, colours, brush strokes, what to use and how to hold it. However On Monday I went down Hobbycraft and bought 10 of the 50ml Humbrol enamel paint pots and actually started the job last night on some round plywood plates that we use for blocking up the bog portholes. I really am shit, but the overall effect is OK so far and if you stand a good way away my attempt looks impressive. I did the cowpat roses thing and some green leaves and a border and its not bad.

I decided on a 3 rose cluster from a pic in the book and then with a pencil laid out the basic design on my grey primered cover.

You could even trace the pattern on...its a doddle. Still got the petals to do..shouldn't say too much, will probably cock the whole job up now doing those.

GalleryRoses & Castles

I'm on the GU in Hertforshdire at the moment (Lisa), but can travel up to Manchester if need be. Or if you want detachable panels painted PM me the dimensions of the your doors and I can cut and paint panels and send them up to you to screw onto your stern doors. That's what I did for Nb Shadows (spooky blue panels on my gallery page: http://www.roses-castle.co.uk/gallery )

Traditional or contemporary - I'm happy.

:cheers:

Hi Steve.

Give Lisa a try, she is very good, enthusiastic and willing to travel. You can't ask for more than that.

David I think you are selling yourself short, you should be proud.

Terence

If you have a natural Artistic flair, then it may be possible to produce acceptable roses and castles after a brief amount of tuition, but frankly I would not put most of the Amateur efforts that I have seen on a can let alone a boat.

I consider myself to be moderately artistic, and after hours of watchuing Ron Hough and even more hiour opractuicing, I have reached the stage where I can produce reasonable roses, for use on internal panels, but my castles are still like something out of a Disney film.:-

bcan01a.jpg

Blimey Mr. S if mine came out as good as that I'd be flogging them....nooo.nooo...we are talking in the region of Top of the class year 3 infants school as being my level. You know the look, everything is specifically defined, too big, not quite in proportion and very vivid. I know I wont get any better...!!!

Why is it some people can sqiggle 3 lines on a bit of paper and its art .. it represents something that everyone appreciates, ..I spend 6 hours bent over an 8inch bit of plywood with 6 different size brushes and 10 different colours and generate something that looks like I just knocked all the paint over...well its not as good as that because you can actually see failure in the mess, failed attempts to draw the edge of a leaf, failed attempts to paint a stamen, slight slips with the brush, wrong colour used, it just goes on...!!!

Actually I think I'm doing myself an injustice here..!!! Its not so bad at a quick glance, I just finished it off tonight. TAKE A FEW STEPS BACK FROM YOUR COMPUTER.

firstjob.JPG

Edited by Evo

I have tried doing some myself I have the book by Anne Young. My wife has tried too. she has done some on the computer in a graphics programme but they would have to be decals as you can only print them. I did think of getting a stencil made . but I don't know. I don't have time to go on course either I work long hours and only get one day off which is Sundays most weeks.

thanks everyone though looks like I may have to get someone to do them but they are heavy to send to someone.

Steve

Computer generated roses & castles? Blasphemy! :P

Actually I'll go one stage further and say that I don't like canal art. In fact I don't even think it's an art - more of a craft and generally not a particularly well executed craft in my opinion. I know there's some tradition behind it, but after living in Japan for 10 years and seeing the quality of some of their crafts, I couldn't help thinking that canal art looked extremely crude to my eyes. I realise it was traditionally done by working boatmen and women, not craftsmen, but I'm afraid it still does nothing for me.

Just a personal opinion - I don't expect many here would agree with me.

Edited by blackrose

Computer generated roses & castles? Blasphemy! :P

Actually I'll go one stage further and say that I don't like canal art. In fact I don't even think it's an art - more of a craft and generally not a particularly well executed craft in my opinion. I know there's some tradition behind it, but after living in Japan for 10 years and seeing the quality of some of their crafts, I couldn't help thinking that canal art looked extremely crude to my eyes. I realise it was traditionally done by working boatmen and women, not craftsmen, but I'm afraid it still does nothing for me.

Just a personal opinion - I don't expect many here would agree with me.

Putting aside whether you like it or not, I think we need to correct a couple of assumptions.

Whilst there were a few notable exeptions, It was rare for working boatmen to do their own decoration which was nearly always carried out by docks who usually had one or two workers who could turn their hand to decoration, and some docks were particularly renowned for their style.

Most boats would be repainted every few years, and the amount of time a boat was in a dock meant that the boatman was either not working, or was paying for a changeover boat. Either way the job had to be done quickly hence the simplistic style which evolved, and there was little point in employing Michael Angelo if it was all going to get worn off within a couple of years of hard working.

Putting aside whether you like it or not, I think we need to correct a couple of assumptions.

Whilst there were a few notable exeptions, It was rare for working boatmen to do their own decoration which was nearly always carried out by docks who usually had one or two workers who could turn their hand to decoration, and some docks were particularly renowned for their style.

Most boats would be repainted every few years, and the amount of time a boat was in a dock meant that the boatman was either not working, or was paying for a changeover boat. Either way the job had to be done quickly hence the simplistic style which evolved, and there was little point in employing Michael Angelo if it was all going to get worn off within a couple of years of hard working.

Ok, thanks for the clarification, but that doesn't really explain why the simplistic style didn't evolve - perhaps in cases where there was a bit more time? Lots of crafts around the world started out from simplistic forms for similar reasons but have evolved into things of great skill and beauty.

Edited by blackrose

Lots of crafts around the world started out from simplistic forms for similar reasons but have evolved into things of great skill and beauty.

Our bed sometimes takes on a kind of Tracey Emin look - any use to you ? :lol:

Ok, thanks for the clarification, but that doesn't really explain why the simplistic style didn't evolve - perhaps in cases where there was a bit more time? Lots of crafts around the world started out from simplistic forms for similar reasons but have evolved into things of great skill and beauty.

The styles of individual craftsmen did evolve over the years although I accept that the overall impression was still much the same. I have examples of Ron Hough's work from 30 years ago, fifteen years ago, and last week, and there are noticiceable changes.

But we are not really comparing like with like. The boat decoration style was just that, a means of advertising your presence, and adding a bit of colour to your living environment, It also had to be something which could be done quickly and economically.

To draw a comparison with the very stylized Japanese art is not really appropriate, a more relevant consideration would be to compare it with something like the work of William Morris or William de Morgan rather than Frank Nurser.

You 2 are taking it a bit serious aren't you...I'm only doing it to amuse myself. Dont give a hoot about the history and whats right and whats wrong, or about skill comparisons with Japanese traditional craft work.

For my next pic I will be attempting an interpretation of this castle...!!! now I guarantee this will be shit...!!! I think I'm going to take a cameo from the middle, add a few things...blah blah. should turn out a real dogs dinner but who cares.

bled%201.jpg

For my next pic I will be attempting an interpretation of this castle...!!!

Do you just motor your amphibious vehicle straight to the bottom of the drive and go straight up?

Tony :)

We went there a couple of years ago Skiing...its lake Bled in Slovenia. the island and church/castle are used for fancy weddings etc. A motor launch pulls up and they parade on up the steps - on foot.

Edited by Evo