cafe boat

adam kent

Featured Posts

right at the moment i have been in touch with doncaster council and waterways it would be on the moorings outside doncaster college but they are visitor moorings so i have been told that i would have to leave but thats fine because there is lots of other companies up the waterside but as i say im still in the planning stage at the moment.

thanks for the reply

The visitor mooring at Doncaster are used quite regular by visitors funny thing, what about the permenant moorers there? as the only access is through one gate via a BW key, would the full time moorers be happy with that gate being open all the time for your customers? I doubt they would like people walking around their boats on the security side of things especially with the cost of their moorings. Have you spoke to any of them???? noticed passing there the other day that the moorings/marina is up for sale, so it may not be BW operated but private in the future

Edited by mickeyduff

• 1 year later...

True, called 'Gongoozlers Rest' it has changed hands recently (last year ?) had a re-fit and the service/food is just as good.

yes this is a fabulous boat and we frequent it loads, food is excellent and they are so helpful to answer any questions. They seem to do very well trade wise and would be worth getting in touch with.

• 7 months later...

The offending post was spam offering little blue pills etc, quite boring really.

Yes. It was unusual though, in that the spammer spent an hour or so on here pasting the same paragraph of spam multiple times into multiple threads. Quite disruptive in fact. At one point his spam dominated the 'View New Content' page.

Must have been a fair amount of work for whichever mod cleaned it all up.

MtB

I'll second canalchef's comments about advertising, it really isn't worth spending massive amounts of money on advertising for a food or drink outlet, it's word of mouth and slowly increasing repeat trade that builds the business. Possibly a couple of strategically placed easy-to-read-from-a-distance A boards to alert passers by to your presence - and even they are about £120 each with the printing. A facebook page can be handy for publicising stuff to regulars, but that typically

only reaches an audience of people who already know of you. Google places costs nothing and works with the Smartphone crowd to some extent.

If it's to be your main source of income be sure you can weather a couple of years of not making enough money out of the business as it gets established.

Edited by twbm

Yes. It was unusual though, in that the spammer spent an hour or so on here pasting the same paragraph of spam multiple times into multiple threads. Quite disruptive in fact. At one point his spam dominated the 'View New Content' page.

Must have been a fair amount of work for whichever mod cleaned it all up.

MtB

The forum software magically removed all the posts when I marked the twerp as a spammer, so no effort at all!

Go and talk to laddo with the coffee boat at kirk bramwith to see if its worth doing. Personally I can't be doing with them. The amount of coffee cups and crisp bags that get dumped by customers on the towpath fair boils my piss. I can't see greyfriars boat club allowing you to use the visitors moorings on their spot either, there's a reason security is so tight on their moorings, Doncaster is FULL of theiving scumbags

• 4 weeks later...

Hang on, If he originally posted this in 2011 and is still 'researching'...............

Indeed, classic case of post gets bumped to the top because of spam and everyone carries on as before without looking at the date :)

Go and talk to laddo with the coffee boat at kirk bramwith to see if its worth doing. Personally I can't be doing with them. The amount of coffee cups and crisp bags that get dumped by customers on the towpath fair boils my piss. I can't see greyfriars boat club allowing you to use the visitors moorings on their spot either, there's a reason security is so tight on their moorings, Doncaster is FULL of theiving scumbags

Their is no such place as Greyfriers boat club it is a CRT mooring I go there often and yes it looks very pretty but CRT have told him to remove all the stuff or remove himself or so some of the other moorers tell me. Also there is 2 chippies and a cafe within a few minutes so why block up the moorings with a cafe boat and yes Donny is full of thieving scumbags I love going but hang on to belongings when there. :(

Did he ever get his café boat going?

The OP referred to setting up near Doncaster. The nearest Cafe boat to Doncaster that I know of is the one that moors at Bramwith below the lock. It is a relatively new addition but I don't know if the OP is the same person who runs that business. That's a fair distance away though.

There may be one nearer Donny but I can't think where at the moment.

The OP referred to setting up near Doncaster. The nearest Cafe boat to Doncaster that I know of is the one that moors at Bramwith below the lock. It is a relatively new addition but I don't know if the OP is the same person who runs that business. That's a fair distance away though.

There may be one nearer Donny but I can't think where at the moment.

I have not seen one in my travels other than the one near the swing bridge. I wonder if it was the one that opened up on New Junction and then quickly closed? it was land based again it was next to a lift bridge

Peter

• 10 months later...

Hi guys,

My name is tim, I am currently working on the moonraker floating tearoom that has moved from yorkshire to lincoln. With buisness, it is hard. Especially when you have to compete with a burger king opposite. We find on the moonraker that a lot of our customers are tourists so we cannot really judge the day to come. At times it can be very stressfull. Even for me... the waiter. With 25 people to cook for in a space not too much bigger that 2 toilet cubicles, it can fry circuits. But ontop of all that is the experience. As in, it is a cafe... In a narrow boat! I think one of the toughest thigs to deal with on a cafe boat is the customers themselves. Many are kind, high spirited people. But when you get the horrible, snappy customers. That is when it gets tricky. Everything you do is criticised. But at the end of the day, it is worth it. If you have the money and the time to, I would say do it. You wont regret it.

And when you get used to it, you start to get a bit crafty, like im the summer, we baught a 25ft narrow boat that was decked out with seats and windows and in easter wikl be doing tours of the Lincoln canal. (Which I am being taught how to run)

I would like to apologise now for any spelling or grammar mistakes.

Visit us now on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moonraker-floating-tearoom/511085305594652?sk=timeline

Thank you all for your time in reading this,

Timothy,

Current employee on the moonraker floating tearoom.