12 replies to this topic

#1 Windfola

Windfola

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

Hi there

Single female, mid forties only five foot and not very athletic or fit (good start eh?) seeks loads of practice at crewing and steering while trying to arrange boat purchase for permanent liveaboard. My aim for the summer is to improve my strength and stamina.

I am based in North Oxfordshire and have had a bit of experience crewing/steering narrow boats and past experience with cruisers (Thames, Broads, Ireland and west coast Scotland) but need a LOT more. :help:

So I am looking for days out or even longer trips on narrowboats of all kinds to extend my (limited) knowledge and help my research.

If possible I would love to bring my elderly greyhound along (he is in need of experience too!), although this is not crucial. See greyhounds and boating for more info.

I am not working at the moment so can do weekdays or weekends.

I am happy to travel at least an hours drive from Banbury - more if overnighting on board. Gender not important, but preferably no ax-murderers! And I am not looking for romance.

Do please pm me. :rolleyes:

#2 The Dog House

The Dog House

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,818 posts
  • Boat Name:The Dog House

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:53 PM

Hi there

Single female, mid forties only five foot and not very athletic or fit (good start eh?) seeks loads of practice at crewing and steering while trying to arrange boat purchase for permanent liveaboard. My aim for the summer is to improve my strength and stamina.

I am based in North Oxfordshire and have had a bit of experience crewing/steering narrow boats and past experience with cruisers (Thames, Broads, Ireland and west coast Scotland) but need a LOT more. :help:

So I am looking for days out or even longer trips on narrowboats of all kinds to extend my (limited) knowledge and help my research.

If possible I would love to bring my elderly greyhound along (he is in need of experience too!), although this is not crucial. See greyhounds and boating for more info.

I am not working at the moment so can do weekdays or weekends.

I am happy to travel at least an hours drive from Banbury - more if overnighting on board. Gender not important, but preferably no ax-murderers! And I am not looking for romance.

Do please pm me. :rolleyes:

Have you thought about taking a boat handling course - ???

We were made aware of top lock training on here. I was going to get Jan a course as an Xmas pressie in advance of us buying our own boat but decided against it after deciding to wait to see how we got on. I felt confident enough, Jan less so.

We have in the end done just fine but I suspect being self taught a few bad habits have crept in, a proper course could probably have avoided this.

Martin........

"I'm not arguing, I'm simply explaining why I'm right......" wink.png 

#3 muddywaters

muddywaters

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Boat Name:Jem

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:58 PM

We are doing the Black Country Ring in October but the boat only sleeps 2 so would only have to be for a day as we could not put you up over night.
But you are more than welcome to join us for a day, think Rose could do with some help on the locks lol.

Edited to add

pm us if interested

Edited by muddywaters, 24 April 2011 - 04:59 PM.

Heaven doesn't want me.

And hell is scared I will take over

#4 adam1uk

adam1uk

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • Boat Name:Briar Rose

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

I'd suggest getting in touch with the owners of Indigo Dream, who have a blog here, and you could message them through that. I know that with the combination of boating and greyhounds, you'll have a lot in common with Sue and Richard.

#5 Windfola

Windfola

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

I'd suggest getting in touch with the owners of Indigo Dream, who have a blog here, and you could message them through that. I know that with the combination of boating and greyhounds, you'll have a lot in common with Sue and Richard.

Already done that and had a brilliant day out last week. And more to come in May too.

Have you thought about taking a boat handling course - ???

We were made aware of top lock training on here. I was going to get Jan a course as an Xmas pressie in advance of us buying our own boat but decided against it after deciding to wait to see how we got on. I felt confident enough, Jan less so.

We have in the end done just fine but I suspect being self taught a few bad habits have crept in, a proper course could probably have avoided this.

That's on my list too, MJG, but thanks for the point about learning bad habits. It is certainly true of car driving, so boats are no doubt the same.

We are doing the Black Country Ring in October but the boat only sleeps 2 so would only have to be for a day as we could not put you up over night.
But you are more than welcome to join us for a day, think Rose could do with some help on the locks lol.

Edited to add

pm us if interested

Thanks that sounds great. I'll be in touch.

#6 adam1uk

adam1uk

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • Boat Name:Briar Rose

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:54 PM

Already done that and had a brilliant day out last week. And more to come in May too.

So I gather! I hear you had a good day out together.

#7 Heffalump

Heffalump

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:15 AM

Hello from bodicote :)

HEFFALUMP!

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.
http://www.bicester-atc.co.uk

#8 Windfola

Windfola

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:00 PM

Hello from bodicote :)

Hello Heffalump! I live in Hook Norton. :)

#9 Dr Bradley

Dr Bradley

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Boat Name:Dr Bradley's Linctus

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:59 PM

I may not be close enough but I always welcome people aboard and am quite happy to share any expertise I have to several peoples satisfaction (I think). Why not come to the Lapworth banter and meet lot of boaters who will give you the chance of boating for experience.

PS I have an axe, but only use it on wood.
Travelsand travails - website at http://www.drbradley.co.uk/

#10 GSer

GSer

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts
  • Boat Name:Apache

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

I'll be passing through Banbury early in the week commencing 24/7, feel free to introduce yourself, you'll be welcome to crew for a day.

It will be hard work as i've a fair distance to cover so long days will be the norm.

No overnighters though as I just know Mrs GSer wouldn't understand :P

Paul
I love all Anglers, they be such honest, civil, quiet men. Iz. Wa.

#11 Windfola

Windfola

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

Thanks guys, that sounds good. I'd love to come to the banter, but may not be free as I suspect I have a prior engagement (must check dates).

Yorkshire is a bit of trek for me, I confess, so I'd need to sort out local accommodation (maybe a camp site or something), but it is tempting.

Gser - I could probably be free that week - will contact you nearer the time (don't know how much use I'll be as I am not at all fit, but would do my best before having to collapse with a beer).

#12 GSer

GSer

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts
  • Boat Name:Apache

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

No need for a high level of fitness, I do have an engine on this one :D
I love all Anglers, they be such honest, civil, quiet men. Iz. Wa.

#13 Timx

Timx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Boat Name:nevercomedown

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:37 AM

Surely we are looking for romance,just depends on the definition lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users