towing a boat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jonrustbucket

jonrustbucket

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:01 PM

hi can you help with my question, if i buy a narrowboat that is afloat and has no licence or c of c can it legally be taken under tow to a dry dock
lets say 2 or 3 days journey, if not what is the next best thing to do thankyou

#2 sueb

sueb

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

Phone BW customer services.
Sue
If it was more important to speak than to listen you would have two mouths and one ear.

#3 Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm no expert, but I'll give it a go until someone tells me that I'm talking out of my arm.

You can't get the boat licensed until you have a Boat Safety Cert (or CofC).

Therefore it should be no problem to move the boat to where the work can be done & then get the licence.

I would think that you will need the 1m third party insurance.

Best of luck.

Tony

I started with nothing & still have most of it left.

#4 carlt

carlt

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

If you are taking on an unlicensed boat, taking it to dock, getting it into a condition that will pass the BSC, then licensing it, BW will be happy for you to move it and, often, be helpful.

It is in their interests for you to get the boat legal and it won't happen with it sat on its mooring.

Do let them know what you're up to, though, or their attitude may be less amenable.

#5 jonrustbucket

jonrustbucket

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:17 PM

Phone BW customer services.
Sue

thankyou for your reply

If you are taking on an unlicensed boat, taking it to dock, getting it into a condition that will pass the BSC, then licensing it, BW will be happy for you to move it and, often, be helpful.

It is in their interests for you to get the boat legal and it won't happen with it sat on its mooring.

Do let them know what you're up to, though, or their attitude may be less amenable.

thankyou for reply

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm no expert, but I'll give it a go until someone tells me that I'm talking out of my arm.

Therefore it should be no problem to move the boat to where the work can be done & then get the licence.

Best of luck.

Welcome to the Forum.

Best of luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users