Wind turbines

tomandsophie

Featured Posts

I am looking at the possibility of buying a wind turbine. There are a lot out there though. The prices vary hugely. The Rutland 913 looks good, but I don't think we can afford towards £500 at the mo. There is an 800w one called a 'Beeline' or something like that for around £250 on ebay, but I don't know if it's any good.

The one that looks most attractive is the Rutland 503 (only around £250), but it's generally described as a trickle charger. Do you think it will be enough to keep our 440ah of batteries topped up?

Edited by tomandsophie

Tom, Sophie - if you can get hold of the November issue of Practical Boat Owner, there is an excellent review of 9 wind turbines, suitable for boats. For me, I thought the Rutland 913 sounded to be the best and most efficient. I had a look online for the report, but it only shows a tiny page on the Practical Boat Owner website.

On that review, from the graph, the Aero4gen looks pritty good too.

- I think one of the more important things is not the max output, but the output as lower windspeeds, which is where the Ampair Pacific loses out

Daniel

Have also read very good reviews of the 913, after much web research. In fact I'm saving up for one! The 503 will not be powerful enough.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...wtopic=2244&hl=

Review of popular Wind Generators

I've used a 913, and noticed it 'goes around' even when others don't. I'd definately use it again. However, I think its probably worth you thinking about solar as well, I have a pretty low electrical need (and heating need if other threads are to go by) and found the wind fine, but clevett swears by both - I would be inclined to agree. I wonder whether an eco fan can be used to generate electricity to charge batteries?!

• Greenie 1

just missed an item on the local radio station about solar power panels that are going to be fitted to the road lamps countrywide in order to conserve energy and lower the cost of lighting the roads of britain,it also stated that with the widespread use availability of wifi internet access the panels will power computers while on the move.

i was on the phone when the item came on so could only get bits.

i have seen these panels on road signs though and they look about 12 inch sqaure.