Photo

Members needed for NBT - Come crew a working pair.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 twbm

twbm

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:54 PM

I'm a member of the Narrowboat Trust. We don't always get good press on this forum but we are working to address some of the reasonable criticisms that have been levelled at us.

Although we have around 120 members, the truth is that only about 20 of them are active and of them not all are capable of the level of effort required to work on our two annual coal runs where around 45 tonnes of coal needs moving manually in 25Kg bags, typically about three times from boat to customers location. These coal runs are our main source of income and vital if the boats are not to fall into decline. (Yes I know, they're not exactly pristine now.) We need more active members to crew the boats and assist wth locks in the Midlands particularly. I'm not going to dress this up, even with the adaptions to the butty cabin it's a bohemian lifestyle, relying to a great extent on use of the ranges for heat and hot water and requiring people to share the working cabins if staying overnight. (I camp under the sheets.) Toilet facilities are available but Black Prince we ain't. Showers are what you do when you get home.

If you are interested in an opportunity to get every part of your body covered in coal dust and smell of diesel work on a pair of working boats, both loaded and empty depending on what we're doing, please get in touch. You'll have to join the Trust - 15 - to be covered by insurance but that's the only formality and it lasts for a year.

Please get in contact via the website www.narrowboattrust.org.uk or PM to me. First chance for a trip is Braunston to Alvecote on the 24th / 25th April.

Thanks,

Trevor Winterbottom.

Views expressed not always accurate, sensible or meant to be taken seriously.

#2 DHutch

DHutch

Long Standing Member

• Admin
  • 11,691 posts
  • Boat Name:EmilyAnne, Dutch-barge-style SteamNarrowboat.

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

I personally am on a bit of a self inflicted boating vacancy untill mid june when i graduate. However, while everyone who does anything will aways get flack, i generally think the work of the narrowboat trust is good, and i think that that post is one of the best ive need for them in a long time. So good luck with it. More over, nothing to be ashamed about using the range for heat, or running boats that arnt always pristine, it a dam sight better than not boating with them!!

Daniel
Emilyanne - Small website about our boat.

#3 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Boat Name:shrewsbury

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

hi,
just woundered if there is some sort of plan as to where the boats will be at what time on sunday, fancied seeing a pair of working boats as it looks like it should be a nice day.
paul

Edited by greyhound, 24 April 2010 - 01:43 PM.

#4 twbm

twbm

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

I've tried to contact the crew but they are of an age where they regard mobile phones as the work of the devil ......

Probably Atherstone en route to Alvecote. If all else fails, sometime in the afternoon they'll be mooring up at their current home generously provided by Malcom Burge at the Samuel Barlow, Robeys Lane, Alvecote, where there is a very fine pint to be had in the refurbished bar.

Views expressed not always accurate, sensible or meant to be taken seriously.

#5 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Boat Name:shrewsbury

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

thanks trevor,
we will try and park north of atherstone and walk south.
thanks for your help
paul.

#6 Strads

Strads

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Boat Name:Lincoln No 2

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

Its all a bit thin on actual need -

eg routing / frequency / length of a trip in time/days.

and not having / using mobiles - they might be the work of teh devil but are a bit handy for exchanging info.. on progress /lo cation / taking orders / etc

if there was a more structured approach I might be interested, but not on a loose arrangement
Time to reflect and wonder - where i put the corkscrew..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users