#41 catweasel

catweasel

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,953 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

Another one scared of the dark.

What makes you think you have the right to pollute my environment with your lights?

What do you really want? streetlights all the way along the towpath?

But you have the right to pollute others environment with diesel fumes etc?

#42 Chris Pink

Chris Pink

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:46 PM

But you have the right to pollute others environment with diesel fumes etc?

not in the middle of the night. One of the reasons i live in the countryside is the quiet and the dark, being sensitive to everything around, not trying to blot it out by spraying light everywhere.

http://ngm.nationalg...linkenborg-text
A man may be very industrious, and yet not spend his time well. There is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of life getting his living. - Thoreau

Astonishingly good websites - chrispink.co.uk

And as someone who is going to have the last word; zyxt.

#43 Black Ibis

Black Ibis

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Boat Name:ex S&CCCo Willow

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:12 PM

We read in bed by a string of white 'fairy' LED lights that I got in Homebase as Christmas lights. They run on 2AA batteries and they are still going strong, 9 moths later and we use them for maybe 30mins every few days.

They walked along by the old canal,
A little confused, I remember well

- from A Simple Twist of Fate, Bob Dylan

We live on "WILLOW", a 72' converted ex Severn and Canal Carrying Co narrow boat built in 1935
and are now in the process of fitting it out: www.severnerwillow.wordpress.com

#44 Chertsey

Chertsey

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,790 posts
  • Boat Name:Chertsey

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

We read in bed by a string of white 'fairy' LED lights that I got in Homebase as Christmas lights. They run on 2AA batteries and they are still going strong, 9 moths later and we use them for maybe 30mins every few days.

Ah, they kill moths too!

What if we stopped being scared?

Chertsey blog
archived Warrior blog

#45 nb Innisfree

nb Innisfree

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,594 posts
  • Boat Name:Innisfree

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

not in the middle of the night. One of the reasons i live in the countryside is the quiet and the dark, being sensitive to everything around, not trying to blot it out by spraying light everywhere.

Deep breaths...

#46 catweasel

catweasel

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,953 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:03 PM

Well I will go on record as agreeing about light pollution, and I too have spent most of my life in't country. That said, I think it is foolhardy to take a "holier than thou" approach because somebody chooses to bung a couple of LED lamps on their mooring pins. BTW your diesel fumes and other pollutants are still there at night, long after your engine/heating/generator/other polluting items stop, but I think you probably knew that.

Edited by catweasel, 02 September 2009 - 03:05 PM.

#47 mayalld

mayalld

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,790 posts
  • Boat Name:Mr Jinks

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

It certainly saves us a lot of power on the boat, in the same way that stealing waste wood from skips saves us money on heating.

No it doesn't.

Stealing waste wood from skips costs the owner of the waste wood nothing. It may even save him some money, as he won't need to have the skip emptied as often and/or her can get more of his rubbish into the skip.

If you charge a battery pack up at work, your employer is paying for the electricity.

Doubtless we can claim that it is a tiny amount of electricity, but what if every employee decided to charge upm a battery pack every day?
--
Dave Mayall

#48 catweasel

catweasel

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,953 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

No it doesn't.

Stealing waste wood from skips costs the owner of the waste wood nothing. It may even save him some money, as he won't need to have the skip emptied as often and/or her can get more of his rubbish into the skip.

If you charge a battery pack up at work, your employer is paying for the electricity.

Doubtless we can claim that it is a tiny amount of electricity, but what if every employee decided to charge upm a battery pack every day?

His employer would probably do the same though if the situation was reversed :lol:
You should have seen some of the stunts that certain business owners pulled when I used to work on the metering department at the 'leccy board :lol:

#49 g-man

g-man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:30 PM

<rant>

Oh how i detest those lights with a passion. It is only by a thin thread of civilisation that I resist throwing every single one into the canal.

Are you scared of the dark? One of the loveliest things about the towpath at night is its true dark.

And then people stick these silly useless led lights outside their boats, no use to them but true pollution to me.

</rant>

Did you misread my original post perchance? I was talking about using solar lights as an alternative to using battery power for lighting the INSIDE of the boat. And no I'm not scared of the dark but a couple of solar LED's just adds a bit more illumination when I'm scrabbling my way to the loo. :lol:

#50 Smelly

Smelly

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts
  • Boat Name:Sudan

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:59 AM

It certainly saves us a lot of power on the boat, in the same way that stealing waste wood from skips saves us money on heating.

It's not stealing if there in't a fence around it... Section 10, Theft Act '68... Ave it!

I'd rather keep the fire in all night though, it keeps the water hot for morning and the rad in the bedroom will be cosy and warm when I get up to brew up.

LED lights is a good un, as is not staying up til nearly 2am surfing :lol:
If I ever have to say "there's a big hole in the bottom" again, I'm moving back to Skelmersdale!

#51 Gibbo

Gibbo

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,090 posts
  • Boat Name:Lionheart No 2

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

It's not stealing if there in't a fence around it... Section 10, Theft Act '68... Ave it!

I assume that only applies to stuff in a skip?

Gibbo
Gibbo

#52 mayalld

mayalld

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,790 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:05 AM

10. Aggravated burglary.
1) A person is guilty of aggravated burglary if he commits any burglary and at the time has with him any firearm or imitation firearm, any weapon of offence, or any explosive; and for this purposeŚ

a) "firearm" includes an airgun or air pistol, and "imitation firearm" means anything which has the appearance of being a firearm, whether capable of being discharged or not; and

b) "weapon of offence" means any article made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use; and

c) "explosive" means any article manufactured for the purpose of producing a practical effect by explosion, or intended by the person having it with him for that purpose.

2) A person guilty of aggravated burglary shall on conviction on indictment be liable to imprisonment for life.

Doesn't seem to be remotely relevant!
--
Dave Mayall

#53 Naughty Cal

Naughty Cal

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts
  • Boat Name:Naughty Cal

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hang on yesterday you said you didnt quote regulations in your arguments :lol:

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

#54 mayalld

mayalld

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,790 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

Hang on yesterday you said you didnt quote regulations in your arguments :lol:

No I didn't. you tiresome woman.

You made a claim that I only argued things where I could quote regulations and that I walked away from arguments where I couldn't back my position with the law.

In this case, an assertion has been made that s10, Theft Act 1968 legitimises taking stuff out of skips. I have posted the text to show that it does not.

Perhaps it would be better for me to simply have asserted that it was untrue, then we could argue it back and forth for days.
--
Dave Mayall

#55 Naughty Cal

Naughty Cal

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

That is most definately a qoute of a regulation and does not save power nor is it a tip

#56 mayalld

mayalld

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,790 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

That is most definately a qoute of a regulation and does not save power nor is it a tip

So, the thread has drifted into a discussion of which tips aren't "saving" power, but are "stealing" power.

Big deal!
--
Dave Mayall

#57 JonL

JonL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

I never go to the pub without my phone charger.
Always ask permission first - never been refused.
From dead my phone takes four pints, a beef stroganoff, apple pie with custard and a filter coffee to be fully charged :lol:

#58 Naughty Cal

Naughty Cal

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:09 AM

And on the pub subject. Always use the loo before leaving back to the boat. Saves on pump outs as well. Plus all the time you are in the pub you are saving power on the boat :lol:

#59 carlt

carlt

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,646 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

I never go to the pub without my phone charger.
Always ask permission first - never been refused.
From dead my phone takes four pints, a beef stroganoff, apple pie with custard and a filter coffee to be fully charged :lol:

If I have ice cream, with my apple pie, does that mean I'll have to have a fifth pint?

...you actually are one of the more sane/balanced amongst us...

#60 Naughty Cal

Naughty Cal

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:17 AM

If I have ice cream, with my apple pie, does that mean I'll have to have a fifth pint?

You could always exchange the filter coffee for a fifth pint

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users