Liverpool Link, facilities and lack of elsan.

john4647

Featured Posts

After a two week wait bw have now answered my question about why boats are not allowed to go through to eldonian with 48 hours notice , it seems nothing has changed and this is still the case and i was given the wrong information.

No apology given for ruined holiday and wasted trip back from hnc , staff will be reminded of the correct procedure they say.

Also promise of update to information re passage to liverpool "eldonian" and to liverpool "canal link" on eldonian.

Maybe a quicker response would have allowed boaters to attend this presentation to the winning participant in the art project , canal art , was it beyond them to think of canal boats being present at the location.

Something for all you lovers of public art , dont know who,s money is paying for it but NEW HEARTLANDS is involved , they want people to visit the canal so the flotilla of boats numbers , eight , yes eight , bw wigan i understand cannot manage more than that so eight boats invited so i have been told by those at the events.

3.jpg

DSCF6645.jpg

DSCF6645.jpg

DSCF6648.jpg

Lots of people in suits ,lots of wine but not a lot of bootle people attending as yet , maybe and hopefully it will draw people down to the canal towpath , this is my canal activity for the weekend as my teenage sons have once again decided boats are for young people.

BW have told me and i think it is in the stoopage restriction notices on waterscape that passage through to liverpool can be arranged on saturdays , the lads who let you through bridge 9 ect i think are controled by the office on corner of salthouse so if the lads are on duty i would imagine someone would be in the office.

We're moored in Salthouse Dock now and I'd just like to add to previous comments that it's a great trip, the BW staff are friendly and superbly efficient - every lock open and ready to use. For anyone who is daunted by the volume of paperwork that arrives in the information pack or the 16-page 'skipper's notes', don't be -- the route is super-simple and marked with buoys all the way; you can't go wrong. (Just remember that the entrance to Albert Dock is in the far left corner of Canning Dock as you come through.)

There are elsan emptying facilities at Eldonian Basin (in the BW toilet block to the side of the sports hall and there's water and electric at Salthouse.

Only two of us made the trip through on Friday and four on Saturday; there's lots of space at the moment.

As strangers to the city we took a two hour guided walk around (the guy does it from the entrance to Albert Dock at weekends) and it was fascinating. Maritime Museum is superb, Liverpool One is great if you like shops, cathedral visit to come,two world class art galleries etc etc. Heritage Market at Tobacco Warehouse - don't bother; it just sells tat!

Yes, some things could be improved - I'm told by a local boater that the swingbridge limitations are because Bridge 9 is on the route to Aintree Hospital (could be wrong) and I wonder whether the overnight at Eldonian on the way in is really needed. No-one seems to bother on the way out. But it's the first year of operation for the Link so I guess BW is playing safe with timings.

So do the trip and enjoy a winter 'city break'

As strangers to the city we took a two hour guided walk around (the guy does it from the entrance to Albert Dock at weekends) and it was fascinating. Maritime Museum is superb, Liverpool One is great if you like shops, cathedral visit to come,two world class art galleries etc etc. Heritage Market at Tobacco Warehouse - don't bother; it just sells tat!

The "heritage market" has always just been stalls selling fake goods and tat. It has been on tv for its fake goods and child labour! The only good thing about it used to be the access it gave you to the Stanley Dock warehouse and the Tobacco Warehouse, including getting dockside. Now the market is much smaller its definitely not worth bothering with.

Hope you enjoy the cathedrals.

We are also in Salthouse Dock at the moment and I can confirm everything Starman reports. There are very good showers available in Albert Dock, far superior to those in Eldonian Basin.

Our journey in was trouble free and I can thoroughly recommend taking the trip. There is much to see and do; as well as Starman's suggestions the Ferry trip is worthwhile and the U-boat experience excellent. A must for anyone with a nautical or wartime interest.

Since here we have encountered nothing but friendliness and helpfulness with a measure of leg pulling thrown in.

We are also in Salthouse Dock at the moment and I can confirm everything Starman reports. There are very good showers available in Albert Dock, far superior to those in Eldonian Basin.

Our journey in was trouble free and I can thoroughly recommend taking the trip. There is much to see and do; as well as Starman's suggestions the Ferry trip is worthwhile and the U-boat experience excellent. A must for anyone with a nautical or wartime interest.

Since here we have encountered nothing but friendliness and helpfulness with a measure of leg pulling thrown in.

Welcome to Liverpool and its friendly folk :lol:

BW have told me and i think it is in the stoopage restriction notices on waterscape that passage through to liverpool can be arranged on saturdays , the lads who let you through bridge 9 ect i think are controled by the office on corner of salthouse so if the lads are on duty i would imagine someone would be in the office.

I'm sure there is legislation preventing discrimination against the disabled by BW, I would take legal advice.