Are we going to make more use of PMR446 radios this year ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

After the various discussions in recent weeks / months on radios, are any of us going to make more use of the PMR446 radios this season ? ( e.g. to assist at busy times at locks or even to make contact around you to organise whose turn it is to open a bottle ? )

If so, may I suggest maintaining a listening watch on Channel 8 ( most kids etc seem to haunt Channel 1) with the "code" as 00 or "off"... unless there is already a following on any other channel / code ? ( If so, what is that ?)

These are the license-free radios most people almost certainly will have, rather than marine VHF sets, which are possibly not the most appropriate radios to use for non-formal but potentially useful banter. ( typically around a tenner each )

What do people feel about this ?

Nick

After the various discussions in recent weeks / months on radios, are any of us going to make more use of the PMR446 radios this season ? ( e.g. to assist at busy times at locks or even to make contact around you to organise whose turn it is to open a bottle ? )

If so, may I suggest maintaining a listening watch on Channel 8 ( most kids etc seem to haunt Channel 1) with the "code" as 00 or "off"... unless there is already a following on any other channel / code ? ( If so, what is that ?)

These are the license-free radios most people almost certainly will have, rather than marine VHF sets, which are possibly not the most appropriate radios to use for non-formal but potentially useful banter. ( typically around a tenner each )

Nick

Sounds like a practical and useful idea to me. Problem is, as it's not 'policed' it could become overloaded with cr*p and then have no further usefullness.

We use it on canals like the Llangollen which is narrow and has few passing places, to warn of possible nose to nose meetings, saved a lot of hassle.

I use mine on every cruise,never heard anyone else use them :lol:

Well unless we are all on the same channel, probably with CTCSS turned off, we ain't going to hear each other anyway.

Unless your sets perform a whole heap better than ours, even if we are tuned to the same thing, we would have to be very close before communications were reliable.

We find them useful, but ours really do nothing reliably over much more than 200m to 400m, unfortunately.

I use mine on every cruise,never heard anyone else use them :lol:

I have a few times. I even had a conversation with someone on another boat about getting a cup of tea for the steerer! :lol:

No good though I didn't get my tea. :lol:

I think the amount of "nuisance or unwanted" traffic would be very minimal unless in urban areas - more likely little would be heard at all.

The reason I suggested "code 00" i.e CTCSS to be off, is that you would then receive all traffic on that channel, including anyone who had inadvertently left a code in operation - they would not hear your reply though..... so would be important to identify yourself so anyone passing could point it out.

Possibly a situation of "everyone listening and all hearing nothing" might exist, so upon e.g. arrival at a lock, it might be useful to announce your presence possibly as "Narrowboat XXX 300 yards south of XX lock is monitoring " or whatever you think appropriate...

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

we have a set of hand held radios and we find them useful when we go away, particularly when working locks. We used to take them out on classic mini runs as they seemed to interface well with the cb radios that some of the lads carried or we had lead and last car use them to keep in touch. Will be taking them again this year.

Sounds like a practical and useful idea to me. Problem is, as it's not 'policed' it could become overloaded with cr*p and then have no further usefullness.

We use it on canals like the Llangollen which is narrow and has few passing places, to warn of possible nose to nose meetings, saved a lot of hassle.

With such a short range and not many users it won't get like the CB days of keyers, bucket mouths and music players ... hopefully :lol:

We have some which we used on our hols for "there's a lock coming up" and "do want a cuppa" type calls to/from the crew down below. Now they are just collecting dust.

With such a short range and not many users it won't get like the CB days of keyers, bucket mouths and music players ... hopefully :lol:

We have some which we used on our hols for "there's a lock coming up" and "do want a cuppa" type calls to/from the crew down below. Now they are just collecting dust.

I also have Ham radio onboard but that is not any use as no one seems to use it when i scan

I have marine VHF,ive got a fixed set and two handhelds,i think that the handhelds may be a better option than the cheaper radios,at best you get 3 miles from one of them at sea,so i dont think that they would interfeer with anything further inland,the midlans sets are relatively cheap at 50 quid or thereabouts,i often use mine in the harbour when im in my dinghy,i stay off the emergency and harbour channels and i can comunicate with my wife.

I have marine VHF,ive got a fixed set and two handhelds,i think that the handhelds may be a better option than the cheaper radios,at best you get 3 miles from one of them at sea,so i dont think that they would interfeer with anything further inland,the midlans sets are relatively cheap at 50 quid or thereabouts,i often use mine in the harbour when im in my dinghy,i stay off the emergency and harbour channels and i can comunicate with my wife.

I've just got my VHF license and bought one of the 5W Midland handhelds. I left it in scan mode at the marina in the middle of the Fens and didn't find a signal on any channel, including 16. It appears that we could have the choice of 6, 8 ,72, and 77 to ourselves.

MP.

I guess the thing is that lots of people may have basic PMR446, (no licence , sets £10 to £20), but I don't see a lot of evidence of people with proper marine VHF, (we certainly don't).

I have a load of amateur gear closeted away, (no idea if it still works), but again although quit a few on here are licenced, what chances our paths will actually cross ?

I did actually use 2 metres amateur on the cut very recently, as a friend had bought a couple of sets, and was ahead setting locks for us, and handed me a set. It felt very odd giving out my callsign after nearly 20 years of inactivity!

I guess the thing is that lots of people may have basic PMR446, (no licence , sets £10 to £20), but I don't see a lot of evidence of people with proper marine VHF, (we certainly don't).

It's just a shame that PMR doesn't have base units,12v units and an ariel you could attach to a boat or car, maybe one day.

I have installed an acoustic device that does not use VHF frequencies at all. The real beauty of this system is that it can be contained entirely within the body. The transmitter device is located just behind the mouth in the throat, while the dual receivers are located on either side of the head.

I have installed an acoustic device that does not use VHF frequencies at all. The real beauty of this system is that it can be contained entirely within the body. The transmitter device is located just behind the mouth in the throat, while the dual receivers are located on either side of the head.

We have those too, but find them somewhat unreliable at several hundred metres on a blustery day.

In fact stood over the engine, my "receptors" often don't work, even if the "transmitter" is only just across on the towpath.

Clever electronic gizmos to some extent overcome these limitations.

Can we safely assume you don't see the need for a mobile phone either ?

We have found our VHF invaluable. It does help that 95% of other boaters in the area also have it as well though.

It was great for the running commentary of seeing if a Bayliner 285 can fit through the Glory Hole, Lincoln. It shouldnt on paper but i can confirm that it does, just!!!!

We have those too, but find them somewhat unreliable at several hundred metres on a blustery day.

Aha, you are not using the additional indicators firmly attached to the sides of the body called "arms". We have a sopisticated system based on pointing, waving and gesticulating that is good for that kind of distance.

My lock crew won't walk much further ahead of the boat than that.

Richard

Aha, you are not using the additional indicators firmly attached to the sides of the body called "arms". We have a sopisticated system based on pointing, waving and gesticulating that is good for that kind of distance.

My lock crew won't walk much further ahead of the boat than that.

Richard

Ah!

We did experience a fair amount of waving and gesticulating from a couple of stroppy fishermen last year, I'll admit.

I could hear what they were shouting though, (unfortunately! :lol: ).

OH has developed a technique that is supposed to allow me to see from her arm movements about one lock away....

1) Whether the lock is for, against, or part against us.

2) How many boats are coming down/going up.

3) Whatever else she wants it to mean (e.g. There is a yellowhammer nesting in the gates, or, alternatively, there is a tractor dumped behind the gates).

I just nod sagely and try and look like I've understood the difference between the three.

Ah!

We did experience a fair amount of waving and gesticulating from a couple of stroppy fishermen last year, I'll admit.

I could hear what they were shouting though, (unfortunately! :lol: ).

OH has developed a technique that is supposed to allow me to see from her arm movements about one lock away....

1) Whether the lock is for, against, or part against us.

2) How many boats are coming down/going up.

3) Whatever else she wants it to mean (e.g. There is a yellowhammer nesting in the gates, or, alternatively, there is a tractor dumped behind the gates).

I just nod sagely and try and look like I've understood the difference between the three.

So, why do people want to engage in these warm chats at locks? The lock crew are out winding paddles, straining at gates and gossiping with other boat's crews. I'm on the back of the boat and if the lock gates are shut, I stay where I am. If the gates are open I go in. What else do I need to know?

Richard

So, why do people want to engage in these warm chats at locks? The lock crew are out winding paddles, straining at gates and gossiping with other boat's crews. I'm on the back of the boat and if the lock gates are shut, I stay where I am. If the gates are open I go in. What else do I need to know?

Richard

Thank god some people have moved with the times,or we would still using smoke signals

Thank god some people have moved with the times,or we would still using smoke signals

Yep, there's me living in the past. Simple hand signals and gestures..

Richard

and internet forums

Nick

I use these radio types in my other daily life and the major problem is that quoted ranges are only achievable in clear line of site. Stick a few trees, bridges and other structures in the way and their range drops to a yards. However that doesn't negate their value as safe communication in locking situations.

We use PMR446 radios on the boat and to locks etc - they are generally on whilst cruising. Ch 8 seems as good a choice as any but how do we spread the word (ok - on PMR446 Ch8!!).

I also have HF, VHF and UHF Amateur Radio. I have a full licence and my wife and younger daughter have intermediate licences which cost less than mobile phones for shop to boat comms.