Porthole bungs

CJR

Featured Posts

After searching and phoning several firms to get some porthole bungs made, we called a small ad in Canal world and have just taken delivery of 7 bungs from a lady called Sharon (01158 548662) who has made them to order and posted them to us here in Ireland. Even with postage the cost was VERY reasonable and we are well impressed with the quality. I know we are not supposed to advertise as such, and I hope I have not broken the rules - but I know others have been looking for recommendations for this kind of thing, so drop me a PM if you need any more details. :lol:

I think that the ban on advertising only applies if you stand to gain from publishing the information.

I don't believe there's any objection to you advising Forum readers of where you've managed to buy something from, or of reporting how good you found the service you experienced (within the terms of legality).

If they are made of cloth then be careful abiout mould from them getting damp from condensation, We eventually had new covers made from the same stuff as the cratch cover.

I imagine CJR was referring to the kind of bungs that are fitted on the inside of the boat within the portholes to keep out light and maintain privacy.. I think the only 'rule' that has been broken here is the one which states "Never ask others to carry out a task that you are quite capable of doing for yourself".

Edited by John Orentas

I imagine CJR was referring to the kind of bungs that are fitted on the inside of the boat within the portholes to keep out light and maintain privacy.. I think the only 'rule' that has been broken here is the one which states "Never ask others to carry out a task that you are quite capable of doing for yourself".

What are you on about?

What are you on about?

If I interpret your basic English correctly, there was a time when narrowboating implied a certain amount of practical skills, or at least the ambition to acquire them.. Now all I seem to read on this forum is is "Where can I buy that" or "Who can make this for me"..

I know there are people that will always say or even boast that "I can't knock a nail in piece of wood" and it is fashionable for trendy people proclaim to the world that they don't have the least idea how a car works.

It is about time that the Queen Mother type snobbery, (she would never lower herself to use a telephone) began to disappear from our culture, it should be no more acceptable to be ignorant of the most minor practical skills and the most basic workings of the world than not to be able to write your own name.

Edited by John Orentas

I really must say that is a very odd point of view - and may I remind you of it next time you complain that you don't understand what people are talking about regarding aspects of computing and using the internet.

What is wrong with admiring, and supporting, the handy-work of others that far surpasses that of your own skills?

And as for 'Queen Mother Snobbery' or 'boasting of lack of skill' - where was anything regarding that point of view even mentioned in this thread until you raised it?

I really must say that is a very odd point of view - and may I remind you of it next time you complain that you don't understand what people are talking about regarding aspects of computing and using the internet.

What is wrong with admiring, and supporting, the handy-work of others that far surpasses that of your own skills?

And as for 'Queen Mother Snobbery' or 'boasting of lack of skill' - where was anything regarding that point of view even mentioned in this thread until you raised it?

HEAR HEAR, but not in a house of commons kind of way!!!!

If I interpret your basic English correctly, there was a time when narrowboating implied a certain amount of practical skills, or at least the ambition to acquire them.. Now all I seem to read on this forum is is "Where can I buy that" or "Who can make this for me"..

I know there are people that will always say or even boast that "I can't knock a nail in piece of wood" and it is fashionable for trendy people proclaim to the world that they don't have the least idea how a car works.

It is about time that the Queen Mother type snobbery, (she would never lower herself to use a telephone) began to disappear from our culture, it should be no more acceptable to be ignorant of the most minor practical skills and the most basic workings of the world than not to be able to write your own name.

Only just seen the posts in reply to the thread I started. Wow - even ordering porthole bungs is controversal now! John, I have no guilt in ordering items that I have no skill in making for myself. Even if I had wanted to (or could) make them, I could not have even bought the foam here in Ireland for the cost I was charged to have 7 bungs made from 2" fire retardant foam, covered with an inner removable liner and an outer cover in heavy material with expert stitching and a concealed zip and hanging loop.

100_0695.jpg

The lady who made them was recently made redundant and is working from home and offering excellent work at very reasonable prices - I don't call it snobbery to keep her in business if she can do a much better job than me! I would suggest it is you who is being snobby by not realising when someone can do a better job than you!