Who's boat and where ?????????

bargiepat

Featured Posts

Hi,

Does anyone know who's boat this video was shot on and where it was shot ???????????? Circa 1993.

Regards, Patrick.

Can't watch youtube at work but the second photo is the footbridge over Hampstead Road (Camden) Lock with the interchange building in the background.

Tim

Ive been meaning to post a picture on this subject for a while now but had trouble uploading the image. This merges 2 of my main hobbies, Dylan and Canals! In the latest release of the Bootleg Series called Tell Tale Signs there is a picture of him walking canalside with a boat in the background and I was going to ask if anyone knows where it was. It will be in the Camden area as Dylan was rumoured to own or tried to buy a house in Crouch End and the promotional video for the album World Gone Wrong, Blood in my Eyes, was filmed in Camden. I will have to watch the video again tonight but my recollection is that the indoor shots were all in a small cafe not on a boat. I will check again though!!

The reason he was in Camden was also that he had worked several times with Dave Stewart who has/had a studio there in a converted church. I have a video from the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1985 where he is interviewed with Dave Stewart just after Live Aid recording in that studio.

There is also a report that :

" the story about the day Dylan turned up at the wrong house in Crouch End, looking for Dave Stewart?

Didn't he turn up with the right name, wrong adress, The wife called the dave and said Bob Dylans round our house and wants to talk to you and he came home and Bob realised sh*t, i got the wrong guy"

Hi,

Here is the pic that GeoffS talks about.............. The boat at the bottom of the ramp is probably the one used in the video.

wvwys3.jpg

Regards, Patrick

Ps. Another pic......... Oxford Arms Camden.

mnjfc.jpg

see............ http://assets0.qype.com/uploads/photos/001...llery.jpg?20053

Edited by bargiepat

Ive been meaning to post a picture on this subject for a while now but had trouble uploading the image. This merges 2 of my main hobbies, Dylan and Canals! In the latest release of the Bootleg Series called Tell Tale Signs there is a picture of him walking canalside with a boat in the background and I was going to ask if anyone knows where it was. It will be in the Camden area as Dylan was rumoured to own or tried to buy a house in Crouch End and the promotional video for the album World Gone Wrong, Blood in my Eyes, was filmed in Camden. I will have to watch the video again tonight but my recollection is that the indoor shots were all in a small cafe not on a boat. I will check again though!!

The reason he was in Camden was also that he had worked several times with Dave Stewart who has/had a studio there in a converted church. I have a video from the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1985 where he is interviewed with Dave Stewart just after Live Aid recording in that studio.

There is also a report that :

" the story about the day Dylan turned up at the wrong house in Crouch End, looking for Dave Stewart?

Didn't he turn up with the right name, wrong adress, The wife called the dave and said Bob Dylans round our house and wants to talk to you and he came home and Bob realised sh*t, i got the wrong guy"

looks like a boat not a cafe to me.

Hi Derek,

Thought you might be interested in this thread.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...19078&st=10

Paul

Capricorn

COOL! Must have been in my late teens or early twenties when he hit the music world. I was never a great fan, only ever bought the Basement Tapes album and though little of it, but many others were great. I like 'Blood in my eyes' - hadn't heard that before.

I know that bit of Camden fairly well, it's all shot around a two hundred yard radius of Camden Lock. Some shots in a cafe (there are many) and on the boat - and lo - Tycho as well!! From the shots, it's clear that those from within the boat cabin are taken from the boat tied in front of Tycho. Nice bit of chequered oil cloth on the table. The bridge carries Oval Road across the cut to its terminus at the old interchange yard, and Pirates Castle is on the bridge. The bridge not quite visible beyond carries the Midland Railway in and out of Euston.

Nice one - thanks for that.

Best - Derek

PS I used to deliver to Jim Henson's in the old block beside where the boats are tied, and there's the chippie on the corner with Hawley Crescent.

Edited by Derek R.

The bridge not quite visible beyond carries the Midland Railway in and out of Euston.

Pedant alert!

The "Midland Railway" has never gone anywhere near Euston!

I'll allow you "London Midland Region", "London Midland", "London Midland & Scottish Railway", or (arguably !), "Midland Region", depending on the era being discussed.

Amongst the pre-grouping railways that were amalgamated to form the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in 1923, the biggest were the "London and North Western Railway" which ran into Euston, and the "Midland Railway" that ran into St Pancras. These were competing operations up until that date.

People often get this wrong, but those who know anything about it know that the LNWR was by far the better railway, (it's one of those truths that my Dad taught me!).

Pedant alert!

I'll allow you "London Midland Region", "London Midland", "London Midland & Scottish Railway", or (arguably !), "Midland Region", depending on the era being discussed.

Amongst the pre-grouping railways that were amalgamated to form the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in 1923, the biggest were the "London and North Western Railway" which ran into Euston, and the "Midland Railway" that ran into St Pancras. These were competing operations up until that date.

People often get this wrong, but those who know anything about it know that the LNWR was by far the better railway, (it's one of those truths that my Dad taught me!).

You're not the only pedant. I was just about to point out The Premier Line (L&NWR to you) ran to Euston, but I wanted to be sure there were no branches from that Derby based company in that area.

Richard

Pedant alert!

:lol:

But it was the Midland that got mentioned by Betjeman

"Rumbling under blackened girders

Midland, bound for Cricklewood

puffed it's sulpher to the sunset

where the land of laundries stood"

Can LNWR claim such fame?

Indeed the L&NWR into Euston. They were able to call themselves the Premier Line because the Midland (which ran into St. Pancras) did not need to stoop to such self-aggrandisement. The Midland, readers may recall, was the railway whose compound locomotives went forwards as they were designed to do, rather than chugging along on the spot as the L&NWR's attempts at compounds so often did.

Indeed the L&NWR into Euston. They were able to call themselves the Premier Line because the Midland (which ran into St. Pancras) did not need to stoop to such self-aggrandisement. The Midland, readers may recall, was the railway whose compound locomotives went forwards as they were designed to do, rather than chugging along on the spot as the L&NWR's attempts at compounds so often did.

:lol:

But the Midland's so called "small locomotive" policy hardly did the LMS any favours after they had taken over both lines, but failed to shake off much outdated Midland practice........

No doubt some bright spark will be along soon to point out that even the LMS only started getting locomotive design right after it had pinched a GWR man to be in charge! He certainly generally got it right though, it's true!

I think if this turns into a "GWR versus LMS - which is best fight" it could get nastier than anything involving galvanic isolators, so I'll :lol::lol:

Anorak Fight!!!

Agreed. But the LNWR story is a tired old bit of propaganda regularly trotted out. As far as I can tell the source is Ahrons but I haven't come across any contemporary descriptions of this behaviour from unbiased observers. I have read explanations from experts on compounds as to why it was impossible though.

Richard