The lock wheeler of The Stourbridge Canal

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Following on from a mention on the Staffs & Worcs Banter thread I can finally keep my promise of a very public thank you to a very willing and hard working lock wheeler that Graham, Jane and I met on our travels on Alnwick a week ago.

Meet John (in Blue on the right)

2647482668_dbe8f2e035.jpg

If you happen to the travelling this route then it is likely that John may be there working you through the locks. What a star!

Having got Alnwick into the top lock of the Delph flight I went ahead to set the next lock with my YSL windlass. I spotted the lock wheeler, John, coming up the hill at a pace with his windlass in his hand. He went straight past me to check that the proceedings at the top lock were all going to plan then after a cursory glance to ensure I had the next lock under control he went ahead of us all the way down the flight setting every lock for us. Always working one lock ahead and working quickly and efficiently through the flight which were set completely against us. Always watchful and with an eye for getting things done fast and safely.

We caught up with him at the bottom lock but struggled to thank him properly as he is quite a shy chap. He walked on ahead and stayed around 100 yards ahead of us (even waiting when Alnwick bottomed out and was stuck for a while) By the time we arrived at the top of the Stourbridge flight (where Moley had cycled up to assist us) he had already set the first lock for us. After a bit of confusion when he thought Moley was in competition with him to get the locks the ice was broken and the Lock wheeling banter had begun with Jill and Ellen (Wrigglefingers) and Ange and Dave joining us. Jane soon included John in the beer distribution.

At the bottom of the Stourbridge flight John was keen to carry on and assist through the last 4 locks to Stourton Junction. Graham had to do some clearing of the prop and John was getting impatient so an offer was made for him to take a ride on Alnwick to the next lock. Alnwick was cruising with Talpidae and The Mole clan from that point. Arriving at the next lock he was off the boat in a flash and the locks were set and he did not stop until both boats were safely through all the locks. He then said goodbye and set off to walk all the way back to the Delph area where he lives for his tea!

He told us that working the locks for people was the best thing he had ever done as before he started he hardly ever used to speak to anyone but he finds boaters friendly people. He said that he thought our crowd were one of the friendliest lots of boaters he had ever met! (I will not disagree with him there!)

He is quite an introvert chap but if you do get lucky and have him work the locks for you then please mention you have heard about him on the internet. Tell him you are part of the internet group with Alnwick and Talpidae (although I am unsure if he will know the correct way to pronounce either! :lol: ) He remembers details on all the boats he assists through the locks (even though Moley tried to confuse him by painting Talpidae a different colour since he had last met up with John). He is a smashing chap and worth his weight in gold when you really need some help through the locks. Make sure you say hello and perhaps offer him some sort of refreshment for his hard work.

Thanks John! Keep that windlass well polished ............there will be a lot of boaters heading your way soon.

Edited by cheshire~rose

Following on from a mention on the Staffs & Worcs Banter thread I can finally keep my promise of a very public thank you to a very willing and hard working lock wheeler that Graham, Jane and I met on our travels on Alnwick a week ago.

If you happen to the travelling this route then it is likely that John may be there working you through the locks. What a star!

Having got Alnwick into the top lock of the Delph flight I went ahead to set the next lock with my YSL windlass. I spotted the lock wheeler, John, coming up the hill at a pace with his windlass in his hand. He went straight past me to check that the proceedings at the top lock were all going to plan then after a cursory glance to ensure I had the next lock under control he went ahead of us all the way down the flight setting every lock for us. Always working one lock ahead and working quickly and efficiently through the flight which were set completely against us. Always watchful and with an eye for getting things done fast and safely.

We caught up with him at the bottom lock but struggled to thank him properly as he is quite a shy chap. He walked on ahead and stayed around 100 yards ahead of us (even waiting when Alnwick bottomed out and was stuck for a while) By the time we arrived at the top of the Stourbridge flight (where Moley had cycled up to assist us) he had already set the first lock for us. After a bit of confusion when he thought Moley was in competition with him to get the locks the ice was broken and the Lock wheeling banter had begun with Jill and Ellen (Wrigglefingers) and Ange and Dave joining us. Jane soon included John in the beer distribution.

At the bottom of the Stourbridge flight John was keen to carry on and assist through the last 4 locks to Stourton Junction. Graham had to do some clearing of the prop and John was getting impatient so an offer was made for him to take a ride on Alnwick to the next lock. Alnwick was cruising with Talpidae and The Mole clan from that point. Arriving at the next lock he was off the boat in a flash and the locks were set and he did not stop until both boats were safely through all the locks. He then said goodbye and set off to walk all the way back to the Delph area where he lives for his tea!

He told us that working the locks for people was the best thing he had ever done as before he started he hardly ever used to speak to anyone but he finds boaters friendly people. He said that he thought our crowd were one of the friendliest lots of boaters he had ever met! (I will not disagree with him there!)

He is quite an introvert chap but if you do get lucky and have him work the locks for you then please mention you have heard about him on the internet. Tell him you are part of the internet group with Alnwick and Talpidae (although I am unsure if he will know the correct way to pronounce either! :lol: ) He remembers details on all the boats he assists through the locks (even though Moley tried to confuse him by painting Talpidae a different colour since he had last met up with John). He is a smashing chap and worth his weight in gold when you really need some help through the locks. Make sure you say hello and perhaps offer him some sort of refreshment for his hard work.

Thanks John! Keep that windlass well polished ............there will be a lot of boaters heading your way soon.

By co-incidence I as talking to a volunteer from the Working Boats Project at the Saul canal festival (Between showers!) who mentioned this person giving very welcome help on the Stourbridge flight.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

John's helped me up the stourbridge flight as well - rewarded with tea and plenty of choccy biccys!

I did wonder what he was doing at first as he appeared out of nowhere with an aldi carrier bag then suddenly produced his own windlass from it!

[i did wonder what he was doing at first as he appeared out of nowhere with an aldi carrier bag then suddenly produced his own windlass from it!

When I worked down the flight with his assistance last year he told me he has to carry the windlass in a bag becuase when he carried it openly he kept being stopped by the police and accused of carrying an offensive weapon!

Jim

I did wonder what he was doing at first as he appeared out of nowhere with an aldi carrier bag then suddenly produced his own windlass from it!

He has obviously got a "proper" bag as part of his uniform now!

I did wonder if his choice of clothing was deliberate as it closely resembles a BW uniform in colour if nothing else.

It is really great to hear that other forum members have has the chance to benefit from Johns unswerving dedication to his duty.

Mind you, the other chap looks a bit dodgy! :lol:

Oh yes! very............

He holds shoes to ransom you know...........

2638708842_b1546fef17.jpg

Be afraid........................

Be very afraid......................................................... :lol:

We met John last year on the Stourbridge flight last year. Very nice chap, and seems to thoroughly enjoy his lockwheeling. We gave him a lift on our boat up the Town Arm, which he seemed to appreciate. He said that he doesn't get rides on boats very often.

..... By the time we arrived at the top of the Stourbridge flight (where Moley had cycled up to assist us) he had already set the first lock for us.

I'm sorry, but as your friendly local pendant I have bitten my tongue for too long and now must take issue on two points:

Firstly, it was the rather shady looking character on the left of your picture who had set the top lock, at least half an hour prior to Alnwick's delayed arrival.

Secondly, is it not a definitive requirement for lock-wheelers to have wheels? If so, I think you will find that the character on the left was the only one in possession of a cycle on that day, and therefore the only lock-wheeler, so I would be grateful if HBF could re-title his C&W song "The Lock Walker of the Stourbridge Canal".

I think you will find that the character on the left was the only one in possession of a cycle on that day, and therefore the only lock-wheeler

NO! I distinctly remember seeing an attractive young female Molette with wheels......... they actually looked very similar to your wheels it is true!

I also seem to remember someone offered to "throw another bike on the roof of the boat" for me to use .......... so I suspect the fact that you claim to be the only true lock wheeler is through your own design...........because you did not throw another bike on the roof after all!

Like I say ........ he may seem very harmless on the face of it but mark my words..............

Be very afraid.........................

Secondly, is it not a definitive requirement for lock-wheelers to have wheels? If so, I think you will find that the character on the left was the only one in possession of a cycle on that day, and therefore the only lock-wheeler, so I would be grateful if HBF could re-title his C&W song "The Lock Walker of the Stourbridge Canal".

I believe the correct term for someone assisting boats through locks is a "hobbler"

NO! I distinctly remember seeing an attractive young female Molette with wheels......... they actually looked very similar to your wheels it is true!

That would have been when she absconded with my wheels, at which point I became a lock walker (edit:) hobbler (thanks Jim) and she became a cyclist, having neglected to bring her windlass.

I also seem to remember someone offered to "throw another bike on the roof of the boat" for me to use .......... so I suspect the fact that you claim to be the only true lock wheeler is through your own design...........because you did not throw another bike on the roof after all!

And I seem to remember a certain motorcyclist forum member confessing to not actually being able to ride a pushbike, so I elected not to bother to "throw another bike on the roof of the boat" for fear of losing it in the canal when aforementioned non-cycling motorcyclist rode off the towpath.

Pah!

Edited by Moley

I believe the correct term for someone assisting boats through locks is a "hobbler"

Ooooohhhhh! :lol:

I though a hobbler was something that could be purchased from a certain type of website ......... the sort that sells lots of stuff in leather but has nothing to do with motorcycles! :lol:

Having braced myself I did a Google and found:

According to Jim Sheads Glossary that a Hobbler was "A man casually employed by working boatmen to assist them through a lock flight. Also and alternative term to lock wheeling".

So perhaps you are correct after all

(Phew)

Secondly, is it not a definitive requirement for lock-wheelers to have wheels?

Errm, sorry NO!

In my experience, at least, lock wheeling has always been applied equally to those with bikes, and those without.

I'm sure I did once hear an explanation that the "wheel" bit was in no way connected to the bike, but I'm bu**ered if I can remember what the alternate explanation was.

We have encountered people lock wheeling by car on certain stretches of the Grand Union! :lol:

Children! Stop bickering!!

As I was out one early morningayeye

Along the cut I walked

My trusty windlass a-dangling from my belt

I came across a fair maid

A hobbling she required

I hobbled her up

I hobbled her through

I hobbled her down

A happy boater I'll always be

And a smile she'll wear

From being hobbled by me

(Whitby Folk Week in a few weeks - I think I'll do that!!)

And I seem to remember a certain motorcyclist forum member confessing to not actually being able to ride a pushbike, so I elected not to bother to "throw another bike on the roof of the boat" for fear of losing it in the canal when aforementioned non-cycling motorcyclist rode off the towpath.

Pah!

But my dear Mr Mole........ I am always very willing to learn .......... I just need a willing teacher! ;)

I did not say I cannot ride a pushbike.......... I said I had not done so since I was about 15. I thought riding a bike was something that you never forget how to do?

How can I ever aspire to be as perfect as you if you are not willing to share all that expertise with me?

As I was out one early morningayeye

Along the cut I walked

My trusty windlass a-dangling from my belt

I came across a fair maid

A hobbling she required

I hobbled her up

I hobbled her through

I hobbled her down

A happy boater I'll always be

And a smile she'll wear

From being hobbled by me

Love it!!!!! ;):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How can I ever aspire to be as perfect as you if you are not willing to share all that expertise with me?

I have never claimed to be perfect, that's why I phrased my question carefully with an "is it not?" rather than a statement of "it is", in the hope that someone like Alan might advise me otherwise, but the subtlety seems to have gone un-noticed.

Of course, lock-wheeling by car still involves wheels.

I have never claimed to be perfect

No ........ you did not .......that was what I said.......... can perfection be a relative term? :lol:

Of course, lock-wheeling by car still involves wheels.

And so does lock wheeling by motorbike so perhaps it is time to get a tug deck on Talpidae so I can use the bike next time!

I've been so impressed by the accounts here and by other bloggers of the Stourbridge and Delph Locks and Netherton Tunnel route, that I'm thinking of adjusting the route of our next cruise to take in this area.

Is there anywhere decent to moor at the bottom, either near Stewpony Lock, or once you're up the four Stourton Locks?

if we do go that way, hopefully the lockwheeler will be on duty!

I've been so impressed by the accounts here and by other bloggers of the Stourbridge and Delph Locks and Netherton Tunnel route, that I'm thinking of adjusting the route of our next cruise to take in this area.

Is there anywhere decent to moor at the bottom, either near Stewpony Lock, or once you're up the four Stourton Locks?

if we do go that way, hopefully the lockwheeler will be on duty!

There are good moorings near the junction (but don't go looking for the Stewpony pub) and also a few beautiful isolated spots between the top of the 4 and WordsleyJunction.

We were unlucky - we met him but he was busy helping a boat down while we were going up.

I would always moor at Stourton and wouldn't start up the four. The bottom 2 miles of the Stourbridge Canal can be quite shallow towards the sides and banks are often overgrown, although I'm not disputing Allan's comment. Also, we were recently moored for a few hours at Wordsley Junction, and one local resident was concerned for us that we might have been contemplating staying there for the night. Although that junction (adjacent to a playing field) might be a popular evening rendezvous for the local yoof and lagerboys, we have had no problems anywhere.

There are plenty of good moorings (with rings or piling) either side of Stewpony lock, or either side of Stourton Bridge 33, and a fairly well hidden water point about 100 yards above the lock.

Great, thanks for the info. It must be ten years since we passed that way (doing the Stourport Ring, with a little excursion into Stourbridge) and I don't have any memories at all of the area round Stourton Junction. I'm definitely leaning towards going that way: the Stourbridge and Delph Locks and Windmill End are calling me!

Great, thanks for the info. It must be ten years since we passed that way (doing the Stourport Ring, with a little excursion into Stourbridge) and I don't have any memories at all of the area round Stourton Junction. I'm definitely leaning towards going that way: the Stourbridge and Delph Locks and Windmill End are calling me!

If you needed any more convincing then how about this for a lovely mooring:

2661613988_426a601647.jpg

2661621532_11cebfaa3f.jpg

There is a chunk in the middle of the Staffs and Worcs that I have not yet done and having seen the bits I have now seen I really want to do the rest sometime (hopefully soon!)